• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    When I was stationed overseas our aircraft had 4 digit tail numbers but most were numbered under 100. Instead of calling "oh oh five four" the ground crew would call "balls five four". I'm assuming that it's more widely used than the ground crews at one base but I don't know for sure.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Boeing sets the prevailing wages for government jobs in Western Washington making federal wages higher there than across the nation. The Same job in California pays over $2.00 less an hour even though it has a higher cost of living.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When I was stationed overseas our aircraft had 4 digit tail numbers but most were numbered under 100. Instead of calling "oh oh five four" the ground crew would call "balls five four". I'm assuming that it's more widely used than the ground crews at one base but I don't know for sure.

AF uses the term balls for two zeros in an aircraft tail number.

AF tail numbers today consist of two-digit year of delivery and last four digits of the serial number.

Navy/USMC uses the BuAir number for the aircraft. I have no idea how that number comes to be.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There are two types of aerial refueling methods used by US forces.

USAF primarily uses a boom to transfer fuel from the tanker to the receiver. The boom is flown and controlled by the boom operator who lowers and extends the boom the the receiver. Once contact is made with the receiver receptacle, the receiver locks the boom in place for the fuel transfer. Occasionally, the locks won’t disengage requiring a brute force disconnect. This can break the boom extension off the tanker leaving the receiver with a unicorn horn.

4b91fe366dbcbb2f3be3463d390a4c49.jpg

Some USAF helicopters, tilt-rotors, and almost all USN/USMC aircraft utilize a probe and drogue configuration. The P&D consists of a probe that extends from the receiver aircraft and a drogue (basket) at the end of a hose extended from the tanker.

In this method, the receiver ‘stabs’ the probe into the basket. Occasionally, the basket will smack the receiver aircraft which can smash the canopy. Or a helo’s blades will sever the hose during the procedure.

d66ba7fd6b621694744fa0c0ea1dbc8b.jpg

None of the malfunctions are fun to deal with.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    There are two types of aerial refueling methods used by US forces.

USAF primarily uses a boom to transfer fuel from the tanker to the receiver. The boom is flown and controlled by the boom operator who lowers and extends the boom the the receiver. Once contact is made with the receiver receptacle, the receiver locks the boom in place for the fuel transfer. Occasionally, the locks won’t disengage requiring a brute force disconnect. This can break the boom extension off the tanker leaving the receiver with a unicorn horn.

View attachment 146739

Some USAF helicopters, tilt-rotors, and almost all USN/USMC aircraft utilize a probe and drogue configuration. The P&D consists of a probe that extends from the receiver aircraft and a drogue (basket) at the end of a hose extended from the tanker.

In this method, the receiver ‘stabs’ the probe into the basket. Occasionally, the basket will smack the receiver aircraft which can smash the canopy. Or a helo’s blades will sever the hose during the procedure.

View attachment 146740

None of the malfunctions are fun to deal with.
    Whoa, that bottom picture looks really scary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    The E-3 AWACS and E-8 JSTARS are derived from the Boeing 707-200 airframe; all E-3 airframes came off the factory floor.

All E-8 airframes were factory refurbs; that is the airframes were already in service before they were purchased back for conversion. Most came from airline service but at least one was truly a cattle hauler in the air cargo world.

Strange fact, it still smelled like crap at times as late as 2002...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    AF uses the term balls for two zeros in an aircraft tail number.
    Job-specific lingo is a whole world of trivia.

An exclamation point is a "bang" in old typesetter parlance as well as in much of the computer world. In fact, most punctuation marks have short-word names that are used in some professions, e.g. an asterisk is a "splat" in some circles.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    On a related subject, once over Vietnam an F-4 Phantom pilot named Bob Pardo used his severely damaged Phantom to push his even more damaged wingman back toward the south so they could eject safely. Pardo and his backseater had the other Phantom lower their tailhook, and Pardo used the section of fuselage directly in front of his windscreen to push the other aircraft via the hook - which, if it had gone through the windscreen, could have flat-out impaled him. First the other aircraft's fuel tanks ran dry, then one of Pardo's engines caught fire, but he managed to get both aircraft far enough away from North Vietnam that all four aircrew were rescued after bailing out.

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/pardos-push-180962402/

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    And speaking of Boeing...most, if not all of their in-house designs since WWII have had a 7 somewhere in the model number. 707, 737, 777...also the B-47, the B-17, the B-29 because 9-2=7, the B-52 because 5+2=7...

Designs that carried over from companies they purchased or merged with don't count. Except the F-16...and the F/A-18...

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    My youngest sister has a Bachelor's in math. She was accepted to the university in Boston and is going into biostatistic studies in epidemiology. She is super smart :)

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    And you got the looks?
    Lol
    Actually, both of us get complimented a lot. She tried to follow my foot steps in modeling, but made it as far as entering a beauty competition. Lol
    We're both on the same path, but hers is the path for the cure of diseases and mine is finding and excavating bodies.
    Both of us will be scientists, but for different reasons. Hers will be biological and mine will be forensics.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Lol
    Actually, both of us get complimented a lot. She tried to follow my foot steps in modeling, but made it as far as entering a beauty competition. Lol
    We're both on the same path, but hers is the path for the cure of diseases and mine is finding and excavating bodies.
    Both of us will be scientists, but for different reasons. Hers will be biological and mine will be forensics.

Whew!!! For a minute there, I thought you were gonna say yours was catching diseases.

Top Bottom