Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Multiple apologies are owed all around, so many that I can't figure them all out. The civility in this thread has been broken badly, twice.

As much as I like the thread theme and as much really great stuff has been posted, the lack of civility can get it closed.

Last warning. Play nice or lose the thread.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Shotgun Jeremy had a great idea for a thread when he started this one. It was on track to blow right past the 1000-reply mark. No one can deny that it has been very educational.

Speaking for myself, I knew that disagreements and contradictions were going to be part of the fun. Friends hashing out their different interpretations of particular sets of circumstances is, to my potentially twisted perspective, something that's serious fun.

However, it got out of hand. Running arguments that just repeat themselves and do so with immoderate language (name-calling and a pronounced lack of respect) arose.

That is not acceptable so I gave the thread a short timeout/cooldown period.

I'm willing to try to salvage the thread one more time. I've gotten feedback from folks who would like to see that happen.

So - It's open. Post away and have fun.

Anybody who acts up gets a timeout. Interpret "acts up" to be equivalent to both "authoritatively corrects another post such that the poster might interpret the correction as a personal attack" AND "forcefully defends a position against a perceived personal attack."

This has the potential to be a great thread, an epic thread. However, it's not worth the trouble of having valued members creating ill will. No thread is worth that and any thread that causes such problems should cease to exist.

Note that this post is me being an ass. I hate it when that happens. I implore everyone to help me not be an ass.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

Approximate number of Texans who served in World War II, making up roughly 7 percent of the military. Some 22,000 were killed in action or died of their wounds.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Russia Unveils Giant Combat Walker

But is it anything more than a stunt?

By Kyle Mizokami
    Aug 22, 2018
    70ca6cd5-9611-4202-8034-6faa45c52481-1534959627.jpg

VALERYMOROZ/KALASHNIKOV
    It’s finally happened: One of the world’s major military powers finally rolled out a giant fighting mech. Russian defense contractor Kalashnikov introduced a 13 foot tall bipedal fighting vehicle it says is suitable for engineering duties or “combat solutions.” But while combat walkers are a staple of science fiction, are they really all that practical?

Looking like a giant egg on legs, Kalashnikov's “controlled bipedal walker” was introduced at this week’s Army-2018 defense expo near Moscow. Kalashnikov says the “development of technologies” behind the walker will be demonstrated next year.

79a6d4ac-663e-43e5-bf77-22a11a18d8e8-1534959689.jpg

The Kalashnikov combat walker.
    VALERYMOROZ
    The walker features a cockpit for a human pilot, a pair of arms ending in pinchers, and enormous metal legs ending in ski-like feet. It has no obvious signs of weapons nor does it appear to be anything more than a nonworking mockup. Important details such as power plant, carrying capacity, and armor are all left unexplained.

Combat walkers, or just 'mechs,' have been a part of science fiction for decades. The most famous examples are the AT-ST scout walker from Star Wars, the Amplified Mobility Platformfrom Avatar, and the L5 Riesig from the game Battlefield 2142. Non-combat versions include the the Caterpillar P-5000 Powered Work Loader from Aliens.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Energy Revolution
    d8e3a3ba-21c4-47bf-ae34-a82796fb6944.png
    What to Know: More oil is now exported from than is imported to the Texas Gulf Coast.

“Oil exports from the Texas Gulf Coast eclipsed imports for the first time earlier this year as growing U.S. oil production pours into foreign markets and the shale revolution continues to reshape the global energy industry,” the Houston Chronicle reports. “The milestone, reached in April and expanded in May, is another reminder of how quickly the flood of oil from the Permian Basin in West Texas and other shale fields has shifted the balance of trade and the region’s role in the world economy. For decades, the Gulf Coast was a net importer of crude oil, pouring money into the accounts of foreign oil producers in the Middle East, Latin America and other regions. Today, with U.S. exports recently hitting a record of 2 million barrels a day, nearly three of every four barrels — 1.4 million a day — move through Texas Gulf Coast ports, the U.S. Energy Department reported Monday.”

The TPPF Take: Due to sound state policies, Texas has been the leader in this current energy renaissance.

“The Lone Star State has led the way in hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling that produced the shale revolution,” says TPPF’s Kathleen Hartnett White. “The result is that instead of being beholden to other, often hostile nations for our oil and gas, we are now an oil-exporting country. And that’s reshaping the world.”
    For more on Texas and the shale revolution, click here.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Kalashnikov reveals new electric car:

yx8E7M3.png

I feel like I've seen THAT design before!

AvBsRtu.jpg

It even has the little air flap at the bottom of the windshield!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The E-3 AWACS and E-8 JSTARS are derived from the Boeing 707-200 airframe; all E-3 airframes came off the factory floor.

All E-8 airframes were factory refurbs; that is the airframes were already in service before they were purchased back for conversion. Most came from airline service but at least one was truly a cattle hauler in the air cargo world.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    That little air flap is AC wannabe.

Yup! Works reasonably well together with the triangle fold out windows. In milder climates anyway. Not so much in Texas, I suspect. I seem to remember that model also had shutter blinds for the radiator grill you could close in the winter so more excessive engine heat could be generated and directed into the cabin.
    And speaking of the engine, that was a direct copy of the 1500cc BMW M115 engine of that era.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    After WWII, Boeing split up their products into different three number categories. The 7xx was reserved for transportation aircraft. Hence the 707, 727, ...

Top Bottom