• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It's amazing how God works things out; y'all musta been praying hard for us.

Below, is a picture of my three dogs on the mountain; Stryker in the back, little Shiny and Jake, my Anatolian cross, up front. When my big boys died I had them cremated and before I left the mountain I spread their ashes to the wind from the highest point. Shiny I brought with me to Texas in '21, and I'll have her ashes back this next week.

View attachment 389248

For the last couple months, we'd been looking for a second dog, a big dog for out here, and had left our name with local shelters incase something came in we might be interested in. Yesterday we got a call. They had an Anatolian mix pup ready to go and were we interested.

They told us when we got there that he had been shot. Buckshot. It got next to his left eye, the eyeball is cloudy but still intact; vet thinks it will clear up with the eye drops and prescribed meds; shot was dug out of his left cheek and ear flap; it grazed his left side in two spots but that shouldn't bother him. He's three months old and weighs 32 pounds. Would we still want him, they asked...

View attachment 389250

We brought him home today, named him Duke. :)

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :D

And now I'm gonna change my Avatar again. :laughing:
    View attachment 389253
    Lucky you. And lucky him. He looks like he will fit right in there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Radarscratch

I void warranties.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Westminster
    Pistol

Black Lab (Momma) and Cane Corso (Daddy) mix.

FB_IMG_1678575484676.jpg

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Very hard morning.
    The greatest gift we could ever give
    Is to take the pain of loss
    To end our loved ones suffering.

Let your spirit abide forever, my beloved Shiny
    Drift gently through my dreams till I'm holding you again.

View attachment 388861
    MG, so sorry I missed this earlier in the week.
    May Shiny rest in peace after a good life with you and may you find comfort and solace in knowing she is at peace now.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    MG, so sorry I missed this earlier in the week.
    May Shiny rest in peace after a good life with you and may you find comfort and solace in knowing he is at peace now.
    Thanks so much. I know you know how hard this is, many here do. I'll be glad when her ashes are home, that and time will help. It's nice having Duke here...but... Yeah.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Very hard morning.

View attachment 388861
    Sure am sorry for your loss. I’m glad you had your time with your good friend. This is just so darned hard. God bless you and yours. He sure already has blessed your buddy.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Very hard morning.

View attachment 388861

Oh man I’m sorry I missed this. Very sorry for your loss. It’s always hard losing a member of the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Here’s are cat Church that passed away last week and the memorial garden box I’m working on for him and the wife to plant stuff. I’m not much of a gardener but I know how to put nails in wood at least lol. I also filled the bottom with pea gravel after this pic for drainage.

5962bf0341906beeebcbc300c5582752.jpg

e855cf13c5c6567a2b3a4a6fbae10267.jpg

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Here’s are cat Church that passed away last week and the memorial garden box I’m working on for him and the wife to plant stuff. I’m not much of a gardener but I know how to put nails in wood at least lol. I also filled the bottom with pea gravel after this pic for drainage.

5962bf0341906beeebcbc300c5582752.jpg

e855cf13c5c6567a2b3a4a6fbae10267.jpg

So sorry about Church, I saw your post last week in the other thread. What a beauty he was and still is now, in your hearts. Nice memorial :)

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    How Fiddler got his name -

Back in the 80's, my then husband drove log truck in western Montana - which meant up at 3am, on the mountain before sunrise, run all day, back to our cabin well after dark, shower, eat whatever big hot meal I had ready, fall into bed for a few hours sleep. Rinse, repeat.

We'd been gifted a young solid black kitten; half pure-blood Siamese and half whatever big black tom jumped the fence. The lady couldn't give them away fast enough, lol. One of it's eyes was still shut, so I named him One-eyed Ching. Some of you will get that. :)

Before long, hubby said that was a sissy name, so we started calling him John Wayne. Few days later, we realized that name was stupid, and since we really wanted a dog anyway, decided to re-name it Rover.

About a week later, hubby was home after a very long day, fresh outta the shower, wearing only his tightie whities, sitting half asleep at the table eating, with Rover under the table looking up at his crotch. You can guess what happened next. :roflfunny:

In one surprisingly fluid motion - hubby roared, jumped back, peeled Rover off, hurled him the 10' across the cabin where he bounced off the wall, landed unharmed on the bed, and was told "Your name is now Fiddler because the next time you do that you'll be violin strings!"

We had Fiddler for the next 12 years, great cat, the only cat I ever had.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    A year ago Scrappy came into our life as a little ball of fur. Today he is one of the best things we could have ever adopted and has taken over our hearts and free time....LOL. Here is his first picture and now as he tests out my new lawn chair. He is an Australian Terrier and three times the size he was in the first picture.
    IMG_7495.JPG
    IMG_9797_1_.JPG

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Who's chair?????

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    So true. He always jumps up in it first but will eventually give it up to me. He does the same when we go for a ride in my truck. Once he climbs up and in, he sets in my seat for a bit before moving to the console between the seats and then I can climb in as well.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Ok guys, I'd really appreciate your opinion on something.

The 2 cleared acres around our house is fenced & gated; we're like an island in the Thicket.

Duke can belly crawl under it; he's done it 3 times now - but always crawled back in on his own, after maybe 10 minutes. One time he crawled out the backside, did who knows what, but crawled back in under the driveway gate out front. We've since lowered the gate, found a couple 'easy spots' on the fence and patched those with more fencing... and if we were rich (we're not) I'd have the bottom of the whole fence line brought down and secured somehow.

I will NOT chain him up; we are both retired so there's no reason to leave him alone (inside or outside) for any length of time. We did put a 6x8 kennel on the carport for our own emergencies, like if we both had to leave at the same time for a couple hours.

We're talking about a perimeter system with those shock collar things... which I really dont want to do for a couple reasons: I think he's too young (4mo) but maybe that's not too young, I just dont know. Another reason, and the biggest for me, is that he's doing really well otherwise (no bad habits) and if for some reason the collar didn't work - wouldn't he, after escaping, be like 'there's places in there that hurt me, why would I go back?' Especially with his very recent history of buckshot.

We dont leave him out alone/unmonitored - but he's so damn fast, lol, if/when he heads for the fence line my old bones wouldn't get to him quick enough... but our phone number is on his collar, and I'm putting in the work needed otherwise - which I'll keep doing whatever happens or is decided.

Any input would be very appreciated, especially about the shock collar idea.

Many Thanks ~

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Ok guys, I'd really appreciate your opinion on something.

The 2 cleared acres around our house is fenced & gated; we're like an island in the Thicket.

Duke can belly crawl under it; he's done it 3 times now - but always crawled back in on his own, after maybe 10 minutes. One time he crawled out the backside, did who knows what, but crawled back in under the driveway gate out front. We've since lowered the gate, found a couple 'easy spots' on the fence and patched those with more fencing... and if we were rich (we're not) I'd have the bottom of the whole fence line brought down and secured somehow.

I will NOT chain him up; we are both retired so there's no reason to leave him alone (inside or outside) for any length of time. We did put a 6x8 kennel on the carport for our own emergencies, like if we both had to leave at the same time for a couple hours.

We're talking about a perimeter system with those shock collar things... which I really dont want to do for a couple reasons: I think he's too young (4mo) but maybe that's not too young, I just dont know. Another reason, and the biggest for me, is that he's doing really well otherwise and if for some reason the collar didn't work - wouldn't he, after escaping, be like 'there's places in there that hurt me, why would I go back?' Especially with his very recent history of buckshot.

We dont leave him out alone/unmonitored - but he's so damn fast, lol, if/when he heads for the fence line my old bones wouldn't get to him quick enough... but our phone number is on his collar, and I'm putting in the work needed otherwise - which I'll keep doing whatever happens or is decided.

Any input would be very appreciated, especially about the shock collar idea.

Many Thanks ~

Instead of the shock collar, I recommend just a standard electric fence but with the wire located near the bottom of the fence. It won’t take but a couple times and Duke’s ideas about breaking out will no longer be at the forefront of his mind.

Top Bottom