Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    <>

Yes, we have those, too.

They are now called “TRAINING” collars.

I suggest NOT buying the “entry-level” or cheapest one.

All the Pro Trainers we’ve used have them. So, when my dog sees me reaching for any device worn on a neck cord, he responds; even when. neither of us is wearing the devices !

I very rarely must “shock”.

leVieux

Good looking lab
    Lynx Defense

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Ok, we made some partial decisions.

The 300' of fence along the road that runs inside the thicket where Duke is out of view - will be massively reinforced tomorrow. I wasn't aware until today how open it was; there are places in it that I could easily roll under. Until then, he's doing really good peeing 'on the leash'. :)

As soon as that ^^ is secured, the rest of the sieve fence is open to view, and he'll be trained to stay away from it... with a SportDog, series 825x, remote, training collar that we picked up today (TSC, $200). Not sure yet how close to it I'll let him get.. we'll see how it goes; over time if that doesn't work - we'll secure the remaining 1100' in some manner...but we wanted to try this first.

Between now and his first go on Sunday or Monday I'll be reading the dang manual, figuring out all the codes & settings. My hope is that he'll only need it for a little while, but I'm a patient girl and he really is a great dog. :cool:

Got Shiny's ashes today; very glad she's back home.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpeg
      IMG_0425.jpeg
      541.5 KB · Views: 30

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Ok guys, I'd really appreciate your opinion on something.

The 2 cleared acres around our house is fenced & gated; we're like an island in the Thicket.

Duke can belly crawl under it; he's done it 3 times now - but always crawled back in on his own, after maybe 10 minutes. One time he crawled out the backside, did who knows what, but crawled back in under the driveway gate out front. We've since lowered the gate, found a couple 'easy spots' on the fence and patched those with more fencing... and if we were rich (we're not) I'd have the bottom of the whole fence line brought down and secured somehow.

I will NOT chain him up; we are both retired so there's no reason to leave him alone (inside or outside) for any length of time. We did put a 6x8 kennel on the carport for our own emergencies, like if we both had to leave at the same time for a couple hours.

We're talking about a perimeter system with those shock collar things... which I really dont want to do for a couple reasons: I think he's too young (4mo) but maybe that's not too young, I just dont know. Another reason, and the biggest for me, is that he's doing really well otherwise (no bad habits) and if for some reason the collar didn't work - wouldn't he, after escaping, be like 'there's places in there that hurt me, why would I go back?' Especially with his very recent history of buckshot.

We dont leave him out alone/unmonitored - but he's so damn fast, lol, if/when he heads for the fence line my old bones wouldn't get to him quick enough... but our phone number is on his collar, and I'm putting in the work needed otherwise - which I'll keep doing whatever happens or is decided.

Any input would be very appreciated, especially about the shock collar idea.

Many Thanks ~
    If you are able, before you go any shock route, try walking with him regularly around your perimeter, if he starts to show interest in holes or starts to go under correct him. His problem may just be he doesn't know his limits, and it may not be necessary to shock him to teach him.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    It's amazing how God works things out; y'all musta been praying hard for us.

Below, is a picture of my three dogs on the mountain; Stryker in the back, little Shiny and Jake, my Anatolian cross, up front. When my big boys died I had them cremated and before I left the mountain I spread their ashes to the wind from the highest point. Shiny I brought with me to Texas in '21, and I'll have her ashes back this next week.

View attachment 389248

For the last couple months, we'd been looking for a second dog, a big dog for out here, and had left our name with local shelters incase something came in we might be interested in. Yesterday we got a call. They had an Anatolian mix pup ready to go and were we interested.

They told us when we got there that he had been shot. Buckshot. It got next to his left eye, the eyeball is cloudy but still intact; vet thinks it will clear up with the eye drops and prescribed meds; shot was dug out of his left cheek and ear flap; it grazed his left side in two spots but that shouldn't bother him. He's three months old and weighs 32 pounds. Would we still want him, they asked...

View attachment 389250

We brought him home today, named him Duke. :)

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :D

And now I'm gonna change my Avatar again. :laughing:
    View attachment 389253
    Indeed. My wife wanted a Protector for our chickens. This is Scout, 1/4 Pyrenees. He is 15 weeks and ought to fit right in.
    IMG_20230602_212552.jpg

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    If you are able, before you go any shock route, try walking with him regularly around your perimeter, if he starts to show interest in holes or starts to go under correct him. His problem may just be he doesn't know his limits, and it may not be necessary to shock him to teach him.
    Thanks, good suggestion, that'll be my plan. We go to the city so rarely I picked the collar up now for later if needed and with luck it might not be. I'm pleased and surprised at how well he does now on a leash. The last two nights he woke up around midnight screaming, dreaming. Dunno who the fkr was that pepperd him, but if I ever find out I'll send the creep to Jimmy.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Indeed. My wife wanted a Protector for our chickens. This is Scout, 1/4 Pyrenees. He is 15 weeks and ought to fit right in.
    View attachment 390323
    He is a beauty!! Do you know what the other 3/4 is? Gawd, look at those paws LOL Does he have the dewclaws? I had a full Pyr in the 90's; they're a wonderful breed. If you save Scout's shed you'll have enough hair for a couple sweaters a year. :laughing:

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Spray them with pepper spray ( make your own and put it in a spray bottle) don’t need to do the whole fence, just where he is going over.

Can you share a recipe for pepper spray? I can search online but thought you might have a formula that works well. We're getting this figured out, but there's one spot that would really help; he tried to dig under the lowered gate and we usually have our backs to that, hard to monitor. Thanks~

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Can you share a recipe for pepper spray? I can search online but thought you might have a formula that works well. We're getting this figured out, but there's one spot that would really help; he tried to dig under the lowered gate and we usually have our backs to that, hard to monitor. Thanks~
    Pretty much just pureed hot peppers and water in a spray bottle. Thing is at this point he has learned there is a “woohoo!” Spot and you will have to train him out of it. Start with just water to spray Duke with when he goes there followed by “NO”

When you reinforce the area put some of the yuck mixture on it, maybe with some hay in front of it he has to go through to get to the “woohoo!” Spot and continue to reenforce Not going there

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Got an issue with my house so me and the ruffian are in a hotel for a few days. Since I can't put in her in our backyard, I have to walk her several times a day. I have had to take up her harness due to the weight lost the past week.

I have lost some too. Have to wear a belt with my shorts now.
    Unfortunately I think she ate some critter on our walk, and she threw up her breakfast. Glad there's tile in our little kitchen.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Got an issue with my house so me and the ruffian are in a hotel for a few days. Since I can't put in her in our backyard, I have to walk her several times a day. I have had to take up her harness due to the weight lost the past week.

I have lost some too. Have to wear a belt with my shorts now.
    Unfortunately I think she ate some critter on our walk, and she threw up her breakfast. Glad there's tile in our little kitchen.

Laughing in sympathy, and recognition, for the reason behind the weight loss. They do keep us hoppin!! Hope your house resolves soon :)

Top Bottom