• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Unless I'm wrong (possible), there are now only 3 levels of license available. Technician, General and Extra. No code is required now. A sad thing in my opinion. Code is still used by some and is a mode that will punch through interference and noise. The extra class is the most technically demanding license. A good source of info is arrl.org.

Each class has some amount of electronics with a smattering of rules/regs, procedures, practices, etc. From tech to extra, each gets a little tougher. In the extra class it gets into satellite communication modes. Took that test once and didn't fare too well. May try again sometime. Currently I hold a now extinct license, the advanced class.

73 (best regards)
    Owens / N5QNS

Owens

I plan to be the last living Advanced Class license holder (I'm 62). Every time the FCC publishes license class statistics there are fewer of us. Once before, in the 1960's the Advanced class was "closed" to new applicants.

There has been talk of simply making us Extra Class. In fact that was the ARRL's proposal. I'm against it because my goal would be eliminated.

Anyway, nice meeting another Advanced. Jim WA9BYR

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    Jim,
    I have thought about that too. One reason I stay advanced is in a way sort of silly. There was a lot of effort put forth by those that worked to get to 20wpm. Now without that requirement, it is only a technical exam that stands between the advanced and Extra.
    Some how it just didn't seem right to go forward, forsaking what had been accomplished by the few.

Like i said sort of silly, but respectful of the skill and knowledge needed to get there.

Like you I will in all likelyhood stay as an advanced.

N5QNS - Whit

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Owens,

That is exactly how I feel. As a matter of fact I'm a CW op and love the mode. My technical skills are lacking, however, and that has never been my area of interest.

By the way, when applying for an operating permit in Costa Rica I was asked to explain the "Advanced" class US license since it didn't show up under US communication law. I explained that since it is "Advanced" it represents a class higher than all others.

81aggie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    AD5QB here, first licensed in 1979 as a Novice. Operate mostly CW and like to play with the digimodes (strange for a guy who hates computers). Live in a HOA restricted area so have to use stealth antennas and low power. Have a mic but it doesn't get too much use. Hope to run across some of you guys on the air!

73 de Ken

shellshook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    Hi, WA5MUM here, Extra Class, first licensed in 1965, This is my original call, never did get one of the vanity ones. I had already had this call twenty something years and knew too many folks by the time the "buy a call" was put into place. Not too active any more, have a tower on the ground......need to get it in the air. 73 Cotton

shooter z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    Dallas
    TerryandOdieresting039.gif
    My setup N1VAT here. I'm just a lowly tech.

cabledad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Pottsboro,Texas
    Hi guys,I am Chuck from Pottsboro,Texas.Been a ham since 1955.Love it.Hunting is another favorite also,deer ,hogs anything good to eat.Good luck Chuck K5PVP

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    With no code licensure the hobby is actually attracting new members. Equipment is inexpensive. As of early this the year sunspots in this cycle are on the upswing and global HF contacts are starting to become regular, even common. I worked 30 countries mobile using an old FT100 @100 watts and Hamstick whips on 17 and 15 round trip to Dallas. During peak solar activity I have worked DXCC from my truck with just such a simple setup. The good conditions are predicted to roll through 2012. This should be the fun time.

--.../...-- .---/../-- WA9BYR

cabledad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Pottsboro,Texas
    I am Chuck K5PVP and I am a hog hunting ham,been a ham since the 50's and go from hot to cold on haming but I keep a 2 meter in my truck.Love those guns and shooting.Chuck

dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    I am studying for the Tech license off and on as time allows. I have an older Army Jeep I am am outfitting with Military radios now. I want to be in compliance with FCC rules and don't plan to key up, or even have a working setup, until after I pass the testing and get my license, Later, prob some kind of handheld commercial unit. Still learning the very basics.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I am studying for the Tech license off and on as time allows. I have an older Army Jeep I am am outfitting with Military radios now. I want to be in compliance with FCC rules and don't plan to key up, or even have a working setup, until after I pass the testing and get my license, Later, prob some kind of handheld commercial unit. Still learning the very basics.

PM Ranger60 he is a ham guy and can help you out on questions. He is a stand up guy.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Rebuilding military radios for ham use, once a very common way to go, is now nearly unheard of. Military surplus gear runs off strange voltages, often uses extinct tubes and requires spare parts that are hard to find if they can be found at all.

I won't say such a project is impossible but its right up there at about a 9 on the 1-10 difficulty range.

I have seen jeeps brought back to life with what looks like military communicatiors. Usually they start out with a real ARC5 or SCR522 WWII era radio. They gut the radio of everything but the the exterior (knobs, meter faces and such) and replace the electronics with a modern reliable radio from ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu.

There ARE hams who convert old military stuff to ham use but the job may make your work on the jeep look easy by comparison.

What bands do you want? What era do you want your radio and jeep to be from? Do you have a milsurp radio in the jeep now?

Best of luck. By all means post photos where we can look at them.

-.././.--/.-/----./-.../-.--/.-. .-.-.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Was WA5WRB, Ft.Worth/Dallas area, late 60' and early 70's, 2 & 6 meter, we took old second hand Motorola and GE mobil radios and converted them to our frequencies. Was on Ft.Worth's 04-94repeater most of the time, had part interest in a repeater we put on the oilfield derrick at Six Flags in Arlington. Moved to the sticks, haven't hammed in years....Was fun, those old days, even built a phone patch on the Six Flags repeater, touch tone capable...that link was on the 450mhz ham band.

Top Bottom