• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Yes, when there is "reasonable suspicion" then ID must be provided. However the TLS video presents as fact something which is not fact: The TLS video stated "a police officer who observes a person openly carrying a handgun has reasonable suspicion". How can someone engaged in a perfectly legal activity give rise to "reasonable suspicion"? We're talking about someone walking down the street (after 1/1/16) minding their own business with their gun properly holstered OWB. Why should the police be allowed to come up to that person and demand ID when no law is being broken? Worse yet is when the cop approaches that person with their gun aimed at them.

Because carrying a handgun in public of Texas is not a lawful activity. Even after the new OC law. A LEO would have reasonable suspicion a person is violating because he cannot see your ID out in the open. Wording is important here. Having a license is a defense to prosecution to an unlawful activity.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Because carrying a handgun in public of Texas is not a lawful activity. Even after the new OC law. A LEO would have reasonable suspicion a person is violating because he cannot see your ID out in the open. Wording is important here. Having a license is a defense to prosecution to an unlawful activity.

I believe that a convicted sex offender walking through a playground is not a lawful activity either. Do you also think that a LEO has RAS to stop any adult in the park who is not clearly a parent?

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    I believe that a convicted sex offender walking through a playground is not a lawful activity either. Do you also think that a LEO has RAS to stop any adult in the park who is not clearly a parent?
    Unfortunately, what we think doesn't have any bearing on what the law is or how it will be applied. Whether we think it's reasonable or not has no bearing on how the law is or will be applied.

As far as we know, right now, the law as-is is intended by the police to mean that they can indeed stop any OC'er and ask them for their license. And the only legal interpretation we've heard so far from anyone who's actually in the legal field, a lawyer for Texas Law Shield, interprets it to say that yes, the officers can detain an OC'er and ask for their license.

Could the lawyer be wrong? Yes, he could -- I mean, in every lawsuit that's ever settled, there's a lawyer on each side of the issue. But until we hear a ruling from a court (with jurisdiction in Texas) as to whether the police's (anticipated) behavior is legal or not, or until the legislature clarifies their intent in a future session, we can only go on what we do know, which is: the legislature intended to make it illegal for the police to stop and detain someone to see their license, the police objected, and that language was removed from the bill, which can be interpreted to say that the legislative intent was to remove that restriction on the police, and now an attorney has given his interpretation that that means that yes, the police can engage in this behavior.

That's how it stands now. I'm still open to hearing case law that contradicts this. I haven't found any yet. It may be that some Texas OC'er will have to be the test case, and will have to sue for 4th Amendment infringments, in order for the case law to get established.

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, what we think doesn't have any bearing on what the law is or how it will be applied. Whether we think it's reasonable or not has no bearing on how the law is or will be applied.

As far as we know, right now, the law as-is is intended by the police to mean that they can indeed stop any OC'er and ask them for their license. And the only legal interpretation we've heard so far from anyone who's actually in the legal field, a lawyer for Texas Law Shield, interprets it to say that yes, the officers can detain an OC'er and ask for their license.

Could the lawyer be wrong? Yes, he could -- I mean, in every lawsuit that's ever settled, there's a lawyer on each side of the issue. But until we hear a ruling from a court (with jurisdiction in Texas) as to whether the police's (anticipated) behavior is legal or not, or until the legislature clarifies their intent in a future session, we can only go on what we do know, which is: the legislature intended to make it illegal for the police to stop and detain someone to see their license, the police objected, and that language was removed from the bill, which can be interpreted to say that the legislative intent was to remove that restriction on the police, and now an attorney has given his interpretation that that means that yes, the police can engage in this behavior.

That's how it stands now. I'm still open to hearing case law that contradicts this. I haven't found any yet. It may be that some Texas OC'er will have to be the test case, and will have to sue for 4th Amendment infringments, in order for the case law to get established.

Precisely, well said.

No, unless they recognize the individual. Further, if they observe strange behavior or have a hunch, I bet they can watch to see if they commit any other crimes. Then run the suspect's ID.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm still open to hearing case law that contradicts this. I haven't found any yet. It may be that some Texas OC'er will have to be the test case, and will have to sue for 4th Amendment infringments, in order for the case law to get established.

Well said.

I for one look forward to case law establishing some favorable precedence for our Constitutional rights, in Texas, on this issue.

While it may be a long arduous process, I do believe that will end with a longer lasting results than legislation that can be consumed by future exceptions and amendments.

Just too damn much change in the demographics of the state for my comfort.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI

The bolded statement is not correct.

Section 46.15 specifically states that Section 46.02 [Unlawful Carrying Weapons] does not apply to a person who is carrying a license and a handgun in a concealed manner (amended by HB910 to include in a shoulder or belt holster).

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Well if you really look forward to it :) are you going to be out there on the first in Austin trying to be the one who gets to test it lol :)

Well said.

I for one look forward to case law establishing some favorable precedence for our Constitutional rights, in Texas, on this issue.

While it may be a long arduous process, I do believe that will end with a longer lasting results than legislation that can be consumed by future exceptions and amendments.

Just too damn much change in the demographics of the state for my comfort.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The bolded statement is not correct.

Section 46.15 specifically states that Section 46.02 [Unlawful Carrying Weapons] does not apply to a person who is carrying a license and a handgun in a concealed manner (amended by HB910 to include in a shoulder or belt holster).

Actually, he's right, which is the point I've been making. "Does not apply" equals "a defense to prosecution" the way our code is constructed. Prior attempts to change that to "it is an exception," which would change the burden of proof to the state, have failed. This is why it is exactly as illegal for a police officer or ANY other reason listed in 46.15 to carry as a CHL'er. Technically you could be arrested and prove out the defense in court, be it a valid CHL, a valid peace officer license and commission, etc.

There has long been argument over whether officers can and should make arrests where a defense to prosecution exists at the time of arrest. Some DA's/CA's say no, others say yes.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well if you really look forward to it :) are you going to be out there on the first in Austin trying to be the one who gets to test it lol :)

I will, but only in the sense of openly carrying while going about normal activities in normal, non-posted places.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Actually, he's right, which is the point I've been making. "Does not apply" equals "a defense to prosecution" the way our code is constructed. Prior attempts to change that to "it is an exception," which would change the burden of proof to the state, have failed. This is why it is exactly as illegal for a police officer or ANY other reason listed in 46.15 to carry as a CHL'er. Technically you could be arrested and prove out the defense in court, be it a valid CHL, a valid peace officer license and commission, etc.

There has long been argument over whether officers can and should make arrests where a defense to prosecution exists at the time of arrest. Some DA's/CA's say no, others say yes.

Do you have a citation on that? "Does not apply" sure sounds like an exception to me, especially since the Texas PC does use the phrase "defense to prosecution" in many sections where that is the intent -- like displaying a handgun when used in one's defense.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Won't be in Austin, but won't do anything different when carrying.
    Mind my own business, and be courteous and respectful to any man doing his job.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Do you have a citation on that? "Does not apply" sure sounds like an exception to me, especially since the Texas PC does use the phrase "defense to prosecution" in many sections where that is the intent -- like displaying a handgun when used in one's defense.

Not in front of me, but the controlling law is that anything not otherwise marked is declared a defense to prosecution. I'll look that up later, but it's a common mins understanding that requires judicial level understanding as to what an actual exception is vs a defense or affirmative defense.

That's the root of the problem.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Does not apply means a defense. Handgun carry is illegal in texas. Cops can stop open carriers. The difference is that driving a vehicle is not illegal per se and handgun carry is.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's already gone all the way up. Look at some travelling cases if you're interested. Travelling is a defense just like chl because the words used are " does not apply" . Exceptions must be clearly labeled. Would be an awesome bill next session to change this

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    So, what if you get in a heated verbal argument with someone, and you are OC'ing? Does that change to your status to one of alarming the bystanders? By virtue of being armed and angry causes others to be frightened. Does that change your rights?

So many questions.... I think you will need to be far more careful in your actions while OC'ing.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    So, what if you get in a heated verbal argument with someone, and you are OC'ing? Does that change to your status to one of alarming the bystanders? By virtue of being armed and angry causes others to be frightened. Does that change your rights?

So many questions.... I think you will need to be far more careful in your actions while OC'ing.
    Better call 911 first

Top Bottom