• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I am sorry, but if a cop is approaching me and I have not been instructed to place my weapon down, the last thing would do is is touch it or reach for a concealed weapon. Reaching for the weapon could be construed by the cop as an act of aggression. I have and will always wait for the officer to request it.

This, I'd move my hands away from it.
    Texas SOT

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea, I would keep my hands off it or if its on my front, away from the grip and in clear view. If I was asked to drop it, I would probably try to see about just dropping the mag instead but if he was insistent on dropping it, I would to avoid further problems.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My intent would be to do this while the cop was still approaching in his vehicle, prior to him getting out. Reaching for an AR while a cop is approaching you on foot would be suicide.
    My stepfather's brother (Hank) was a Sheriff down in Marfia when I was a teenager. He got a call one afternoon that there was a suspicious car getting on one of the local counrty roads with a lone male sitting behind the wheel. He reponded to the site. It turned out to be a guy he knew. Hank walked up to the car on the driver's side and talked with the driver. The driver was calm but had been drinking. Hank then walked around to the passenger door and opened it to get in. The driver pulled a revolver from out of somewhere and shot Hank in the chest, killing him instantly. The driver then placed the revolver's barrel under his chin and blew his own brains out.
    I think about this story from time to time. It reminds me to take nothing for granted, especially when it comes to people with firearms.

claimbuster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Rowlett, TX
    The guy is a jerk and was just looking for trouble. What was he trying to prove....that he is a tough guy? I admire the LEO's for their restraint. IMO, the SOB should have been eating a gravel sandwich about midway through that episode.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have no sympathy for the fellow.

It appears he fell into the crowd that likes to video tape police responses to "armed citizens" that are too common on YouTube.

He had a CHL and a concealed pistol when he went on the hike with his son. Why bring the AR on the hike? Why draw attention from LE other than to make a statement that LE don't know the law?

That is tempting fate.

I don't agree with the cops, but don't yell fire while out on a stroll.

Also, I don't know of any Boy Scout council that would allow the the father of an Eagle Scout candidate to vouch for his son's merit badge.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The guy is a jerk and was just looking for trouble. What was he trying to prove....that he is a tough guy? I admire the LEO's for their restraint. IMO, the SOB should have been eating a gravel sandwich about midway through that episode.

For???

He made no physical resistance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

It appears he fell into the crowd that likes to video tape police responses to "armed citizens" that are too common on YouTube.

He had a CHL and a concealed pistol when he went on the hike with his son. Why bring the AR on the hike? Why draw attention from LE other than to make a statement that LE don't know the law?

That is tempting fate.

Also, I don't know of any Boy Scout council that would allow the the father of an Eagle Scout candidate to vouch for his son's merit badge.

The "vouching" is the reason the hike had to be recorded. It is the reason he had the camera and the reason it was recording during the stop.

Much different than those who walk back and forth in front of cops waiting for a reaction.

He also stated his reason for bringing the rifle.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

I sincerely hope that no one has entrusted you with a badge.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas

That is tempting fate.

He didn't turn the camera on until he realised there was going to be a problem. I think anyone in his shoes would have done the same.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    He didn't turn the camera on until he realised there was going to be a problem. I think anyone in his shoes would have done the same.
    That does make sense, still would have been a good idea though if he would have started recording as soon as the LE rolled up, given the Possible issues/confrontations that could develope... easy to Monday morning quarterback though

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I know it's kinda ambiguous, but statute for open carrying of long guns is that it can't be "in a manner calculated to cause alarm". I always just assumed in my mind that the easiest way to do that was with it on your back, barrel up. Wearing it all tactical style on the front like he's still in Afghanistan is a little over the top IMHO.

In that situation, it's pretty difficult to carry a rifle on your back. His only options were the clip, keeping the gun slung across his chest or hanging at his side. And IMHO there's nothing "tactical" about keeping your main weapon where you can reach it quickly and easily. That's just common sense.

On another note - am I the only one who raged at their monitor when the first cop tried to grab the guys rifle? That just seems like a retarded move on his part.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thought the cam was for documenting the hike.

That's what was said but I don't know why he wasn't already recording. I just saw on the news story where he said he remembered he had the cam on him to record his sons hike for proof so he pulled it out as he was being apprehended.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    In retrospect, watching this again makes me wonder if he was trying to emulate the guy in the video I posted. Sure seems that way, but unfortunately for this guy, he was bullheaded and lacked the proper knowledge and confrontation skills to pull it off.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    In retrospect, watching this again makes me wonder if he was trying to emulate the guy in the video I posted. Sure seems that way, but unfortunately for this guy, he was bullheaded and lacked the proper knowledge and confrontation skills to pull it off.
    ^^^What you said, plus his boy, regardless of what this feller was trying to do, is gonna have issues

Top Bottom