Join TexasGunTalk

Texas Suppressor and Red Flag Laws

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by gll, May 7, 2019.

1. OFFascist

OFFascist Active Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Only if they are working with the feds as part of a task force; if this passes I'm going to have to look to see if our state law has any definition of what constitutes a "task force."

I think the intent is that our state/local police can't hassle someone with a silencer, but if they happen to be assisting the Feds on raid a silencer turns up they can still help the Feds.

That being said there is still always the worry that if the cop who pulls you over for speeding and sees a silencer, if he don't like you he might just call his buddy at the ATF and pass your info along on the sly.

2. OFFascist

OFFascist Active Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    FFLs would still have to adhere to federal law. They won't be able to just sell a silencer over the counter unless the feds also legalize them.

The practical effect of this would have is that if you want to build your own you could and not have to worry about state/local police. The only worry you would have is if the Feds find out and decide to take action. Basically its like how other states are treating marijuana. If the Feds want to deal with it they have to use their own resources to do so.

Texas already has a few gun laws that contradict Federal law. Here if someone is a felon and 5 years have passed after they completed their sentence it is legal for them to keep a gun at home. I read somewhere that the feds don't even bother with those cases.

The other one I know of is that 2 round burst is legal in Texas, since we define a machine gun as firing more than 2 rounds with a pull of a trigger. However I've never heard of any cases dealing with that.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. dogbone

dogbone Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    Yep, just brushing crumbs from the table and telling us to enjoy the feast. Remember this when your Representative holds up their vote for this as proof of their support of your gun rights. Ask them where they were when Dennis Bonnen was shoveling dirt into the grave of Constitutional carry.

jordanmills, rmantoo, gll and 2 others like this.
  4. OFFascist

OFFascist Active Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Looks like the Silencer bill died in the Senate.

Saw this posted on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/texasce/permalink/917818985217274/?comment_id=917827265216446

gll and toddnjoyce like this.
  5. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known

Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    According to the FB post Joan Huffman killed the bill in committee and she was appointed to that committee by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. Patrick knew when he appointed her what she would do with bills such as this one.

Huffman has a NRA/TSRA rating of 'A' and Patrick has a rating of 'A+'.

jordanmills and toddnjoyce like this.
  6. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    They need to re-evaluate the grading system without a curve.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

7. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

More traitors revealing themselves

dogbone and gll like this.
  8. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Cant remember the state but there is a case in court right now (GOA is involved) of a similar state law where the Obamacrates wanted to make an example of someone. Granted the 1934 FAA is unconstitutional with regards to suppressors but who has the time and money to sit in a Fed pen hoping the SCOTUS may get the urge to view it. I believe the guy above is a war veteran with no previous record.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. dogbone

dogbone Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    Absolutely! The current grades are passed out on the basis of voting record. Kill something in committee so it never comes to a vote and the snakes are safe from any repercussions. I'll stick with what I see throughout the session and rely on scores from local grassroots groups who follow legislative shenanigans more closely.

10. popper

popper Active Member

Apr 23, 2013
    She went to Republican women's meeting yesterday. Speaker was telling about the voting fraud going on - basically the state voter undersec. saying it's OK to not follow Texas voting law. Don't bother keeping the tapes, numbered ballots not needed, etc. Case went to Tx SC and lost. Courts don't care. Study said Tx Gov was 4th most corrupt in US. No joke!