• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    "Nope.....you're a little right on the left target and a little left on the right target...."

True. :)

I was still trying to decide on whether to use Aguila Minishells or Federal Flight Control Wad Buckshot in the Shockwave.
    And on whether to use a Green laser Streamlight TLR2 (laser/light) or Crimson Trace Green Laser.
    Decided on the Streamlight and Federal Buckshot.

Got to finish sighting in the laser in at 30 yards.
    My "home defense" distance is 30 yards +.

Mossberg Shockwave Fed 00 Buck Flt Cont.JPG

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Without going through all 140 replies, any information about legality of "making" one from a full size shotgun?

Rather than make something like this from a regular shotgun why not take a $100-200 pawn shop special and cut the barrel to 18" and add a pistol grip? You end up with a shogun that is about 2" longer than this guy for 1/2 the price. Or leave the butt stock attached and it's About 10" longer but much more accurate. Throw in a fiber optic sight and you are GTG.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Rather than make something like this from a regular shotgun why not take a $100-200 pawn shop special and cut the barrel to 18" and add a pistol grip? You end up with a shogun that is about 2" longer than this guy for 1/2 the price. Or leave the butt stock attached and it's About 10" longer but much more accurate. Throw in a fiber optic sight and you are GTG.
    No reason that wouldn't work, if that's what one wanted to do.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    "Nope.....you're a little right on the left target and a little left on the right target...."

True. :)

I was still trying to decide on whether to use Aguila Minishells or Federal Flight Control Wad Buckshot in the Shockwave.
    And on whether to use a Green laser Streamlight TLR2 (laser/light) or Crimson Trace Green Laser.
    Decided on the Streamlight and Federal Buckshot.

Got to finish sighting in the laser in at 30 yards.
    My "home defense" distance is 30 yards +.

View attachment 43309
    I've gone totally to the Aguila mini-shells with mine.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Take it to a gunsmith that specializes in this work. There used to be a good smith in Ruby Ridge, Idaho.

M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    By the time a shotgun is cut down, more $ is invested in it than the cost of a new $400 shockwave.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    Without going through all 140 replies, any information about legality of "making" one from a full size shotgun?

You can, after 01SEP17 in Texas. You have to be careful. The receiver has to have been born without a butt stock. In the same way you cannot convert an AR15 rifle into a pistol. You can build a brand new stripped lower into an AR15 pistol.

The Mossberg 590 just has to have been bought new with a pistol grip only configuration.

I have seen Mossberg 500s that came with a butt stock and a pistol grip. You could configure your shotgun either way. I would not use one of those to make a shockwave. I would think a lawyer would say, sure it came as a pistol, but it also came as a butt stock equipped shotgun.

If a the shotgun is bought/sold/built new with a butt stock, you will need to have a NFA tax stamp to shorten the barrel to anything less than 18 inches.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    That would be an NFA, but with the stamp you could legally do it. It would be a short-barrelled shotgun because it was born as a shotgun.
    Not necessarily. If it was born with a non-butt stock, pistol grip only configuration, it can be converted to shockwave type firearm.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Not necessarily. If it was born with a non-butt stock, pistol grip only configuration, it can be converted to shockwave type firearm.

The question I answered was by a member who specifically asked if it could be made from a full-sized shotgun. My answer was correct.

If a person wants to take a PGO weapon and make it like the Shockwave, the overall length must be 26" or it will become an AOW.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    You can, after 01SEP17 in Texas. You have to be careful. The receiver has to have been born without a butt stock. In the same way you cannot convert an AR15 rifle into a pistol. You can build a brand new stripped lower into an AR15 pistol.

The Mossberg 590 just has to have been bought new with a pistol grip only configuration.

I have seen Mossberg 500s that came with a butt stock and a pistol grip. You could configure your shotgun either way. I would not use one of those to make a shockwave. I would think a lawyer would say, sure it came as a pistol, but it also came as a butt stock equipped shotgun.

If a the shotgun is bought/sold/built new with a butt stock, you will need to have a NFA tax stamp to shorten the barrel to anything less than 18 inches.

The question is "...from a full-sized shotgun." The answer is NO. Beginning with a PGO weapon, the answer is YES, providing the finished product is at least 26" in length, measured as the ATF dictates.

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    The question I answered was by a member who specifically asked if it could be made from a full-sized shotgun. My answer was correct.

If a person wants to take a PGO weapon and make it like the Shockwave, the overall length must be 26" or it will become an AOW.

Your answer was incomplete and misleading. Define a full sized shotgun. I would say a 20 inch barreled 8 plus round shot gun with a pistol grip could very well be defined as a full sized shot gun.

It could also be made into a legal 14 inch barreled 26 overall length shot gun.

No need to get defensive with me.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Not getting defensive at all...just answering the question asked, and doing so correctly. My answer completely answered his question, and was not misleading.
    If you have an idea to contribute about a different way to get what he wants, suggest it on its own merits.

As to your terminology, you are in error. The ATF does NOT define a pistol grip only weapon as a shotgun of any kind-that's why your alternative suggestion works, as long as it is 26". The key word in his question IS shotgun.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Cutting down the barrel of a shotgun is easy and requires no special tools. Simply close the action of your shotgun on an empty chamber. Insert a wooden dowel (1/2" diameter is good) thru the muzzle until it bottoms out on the breach face. Make a mark where it protrudes from the muzzle. That mark will be the zero for the cut later. Now remove the dowel and measure the length you want from the breach face end and add 1/2" to be safe. Simply lay the dowel along the muzzle from the longer zero mark and add a piece of tape at the cut mark and use a hack saw to cut off the excess barrel.
    Remember shotguns sold with butt stocks can have barrels with a minimum of 18"
    Stocks with pistol grips and "turkey neck" grips can be cut to a maximum of 26". Whatever that barrel length is. (14" or so). But measure the overall length.

Dress the cut with some cold blue and add a fiber optic sight.

All it costs is a hack saw, some tape and a dowl rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    Not getting defensive at all...just answering the question asked, and doing so correctly. My answer completely answered his question, and was not misleading.
    If you have an idea to contribute about a different way to get what he wants, suggest it on its own merits.

As to your terminology, you are in error. The ATF does NOT define a pistol grip only weapon as a shotgun of any kind-that's why your alternative suggestion works, as long as it is 26". The key word in his question IS shotgun.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Top Bottom