Venture Surplus ad

The Government is "Shut Down" and My Life Is...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    pd,

Really...?

You're not making a good case for being 'poor you'...

Instead of being on this site, why not try to find a job off the books?

Earning some income that way won't interfere with your concern regarding your seniority.....

But hey, I get it.

Rather get freebies - dignity...pish-post...

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Apparently I’m missing part of the conversation and some stats but back to Ben.

How about a flat tax of say 3%. No rebates, no refunds, no credits, etc. That would shrink the IRS by...? Could save a lot salaries that way. Abolish Dept of Energy and education for starters. Congress already has a roadmap to dissolve the TSA, let’s enact that. Shrink others drastically and roll similar agencies into others to reduce overhead. Aside from FBI should any other departments have LEOs?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

How about a flat tax of say 3%. No rebates, no refunds, no credits, etc. That would shrink the IRS by...? Could save a lot salaries that way. Abolish Dept of Energy and education for starters. Congress already has a roadmap to dissolve the TSA, let’s enact that. Shrink others drastically and roll similar agencies into others to reduce overhead. Aside from FBI should any other departments have LEOs?
    Oh my gawd! Shrink the government? However would they maintain control over your life?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How about a flat tax of say 3%. No rebates, no refunds, no credits, etc. That would shrink the IRS by...?
    If you want it enforced properly, you could shrink the IRS by half, I suppose. Right now, the IRS is so understaffed it's insane. If the IRS actually had the manpower to enforce all the laws it's supposed to, it would be 10 times bigger than it is. So, yeah, a 3% flat tax could be administered with fewer folks and a smaller IRS.
    Could save a lot salaries that way. Abolish Dept of Energy and education for starters. Congress already has a roadmap to dissolve the TSA, let’s enact that. Shrink others drastically and roll similar agencies into others to reduce overhead.
    Well, yeah, you'd have to do all that and more. A 3% flat tax would reduce revenues by about 90% so most of the government would have to be shut down immediately and permanently. It's probably been a decade since I ran the numbers but my recollection is that a flat tax would have to come in somewhere north of 30% to be revenue-neutral.
    Aside from FBI should any other departments have LEOs?
    Probably. It's arguable, of course, but there are so many laws of limited applicability that it's ridiculous to expect FBI SAs to understand them all. The current solution is to have SAs in the various agencies who work with just that domain of the law and understand it. If, on general principle, we wanted to eliminate all federal LEOs other than the FBI, it would be necessary to train up a bunch of SAs in various specialties then attach them to the agencies that administer those laws. I'm not sure what that would accomplish but, yeah, we could basically just take all the LEOs in other agencies, transfer them to the FBI, and then call it a day.

Personally, though, I find that solution to have real cultural problems. If you don't work for an agency, your most basic job motivations aren't necessarily to enforce the laws for which that agency is responsible. If, for example, the FBI put SAs in the IRS to enforce tax law, how devoted would those FBI SAs be to the goal of enforcing the laws that are the domain of the IRS? I think the motivation would be lacking and that causes problems.

I'm serious about this. The whole IRS scandal about holding up approval for conservative political groups would have been over/finished/fixed in the blink of an eye if it weren't for the fact that the IRS had previously had their lawyers taken away from them. The IRS used to have their own in-house counsel but not any more. Nowadays, they have to use lawyers from the DOJ. Those DOJ lawyers were the cause of most of the problems/delays because they had no appreciation for the way the IRS works. The DOJ lawyers (and this is just my opinion) seemed to also be motivated by orders from political animals higher in their chain of command, a type of corruption that is almost (not completely, but almost) unknown at the IRS.

There's a big advantage to having the people who enforce any particular set of laws be a part of the organization that specializes in that domain. They tend to feel a proprietary interest in doing a good job. But ask a bunch of FBI SAs to enforce, say, wetlands preservation or historic landmark preservation or tax laws or smokestack emissions or product safety laws or etc., etc., and etc.? I sincerely doubt they could muster up the motivation.

pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    pd,

Really...?

You're not making a good case for being 'poor you'...

Instead of being on this site, why not try to find a job off the books?

Earning some income that way won't interfere with your concern regarding your seniority.....

But hey, I get it.

Rather get freebies - dignity...pish-post...
    And when would you sugesugi work this "off the books" job? I am required to work during the Shutdown and it's a full time job with many hours of OT. I also have children that I care for after work and I'm a single parent. When o get home from working without pay I spend the hours helping my children and making the dinner and doing things a parent must do. I don't have the luxury of working over 40 hrs a week, takota care of my kids and working another job.
    So may stupid people in this world; I shouldn't even respond.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    When the feds screw over so many folks in their various agencies, it is hard to find compassion for furloughed workers. Also the feds being the biggest employer shows they could down size without issue to the citizens they are suppose to serve. You are gonna get back pay so have you looked at short term loans or anything like that?

I think more would contribute to help furloughed workers of you'll took the back pay and returned the money but I am a stupid person so I dunno.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    pd,

Consider better arguments...at this point, just put out your tin cup and pencils while you surreptitiously peek at your alms gains...at this point, I'm thinking, you're a parentsupporting basement dweller hoping for free stuff......

I've yet to read of an argument against making some income to help your situation, but I do read "I just can't, because......I can't" gimme, gimme, gimme......I'm beggin ya, though many others before me in bad income situations found income through effort.....but I'm an exception...so gimme, I deserve....

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

BigGreen,

Actually, I believe that ALL of the more than 80 federal LE agencies should be ABOLISHED, except for 3-4 BIG agencies. = DUMP all the drones, keep the good agents & SAVE BILLIONS each year in USELESS DUPLICATION OF EFFORT, WASTE, FRAUD & ABUSE of the taxpayers.

IF I was doing it, I would KEEP the POSTAL INSPECTORS & USMS, as they are the TWO oldest federal LE agencies, the USCG & TREASURY Special Agents.

It makes NO difference all about which BADGE & CREDENTIAL that a LE officer carries. = ALL that counts is TRAINING, HONESTY, JURISDICTION & COMPETENCE.

just my OPINION, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    If you want it enforced properly, you could shrink the IRS by half, I suppose. Right now, the IRS is so understaffed it's insane. If the IRS actually had the manpower to enforce all the laws it's supposed to, it would be 10 times bigger than it is. So, yeah, a 3% flat tax could be administered with fewer folks and a smaller IRS.

Well, yeah, you'd have to do all that and more. A 3% flat tax would reduce revenues by about 90% so most of the government would have to be shut down immediately and permanently. It's probably been a decade since I ran the numbers but my recollection is that a flat tax would have to come in somewhere north of 30% to be revenue-neutral.

Probably. It's arguable, of course, but there are so many laws of limited applicability that it's ridiculous to expect FBI SAs to understand them all. The current solution is to have SAs in the various agencies who work with just that domain of the law and understand it. If, on general principle, we wanted to eliminate all federal LEOs other than the FBI, it would be necessary to train up a bunch of SAs in various specialties then attach them to the agencies that administer those laws. I'm not sure what that would accomplish but, yeah, we could basically just take all the LEOs in other agencies, transfer them to the FBI, and then call it a day.

Personally, though, I find that solution to have real cultural problems. If you don't work for an agency, your most basic job motivations aren't necessarily to enforce the laws for which that agency is responsible. If, for example, the FBI put SAs in the IRS to enforce tax law, how devoted would those FBI SAs be to the goal of enforcing the laws that are the domain of the IRS? I think the motivation would be lacking and that causes problems.

I'm serious about this. The whole IRS scandal about holding up approval for conservative political groups would have been over/finished/fixed in the blink of an eye if it weren't for the fact that the IRS had previously had their lawyers taken away from them. The IRS used to have their own in-house counsel but not any more. Nowadays, they have to use lawyers from the DOJ. Those DOJ lawyers were the cause of most of the problems/delays because they had no appreciation for the way the IRS works. The DOJ lawyers (and this is just my opinion) seemed to also be motivated by orders from political animals higher in their chain of command, a type of corruption that is almost (not completely, but almost) unknown at the IRS.

There's a big advantage to having the people who enforce any particular set of laws be a part of the organization that specializes in that domain. They tend to feel a proprietary interest in doing a good job. But ask a bunch of FBI SAs to enforce, say, wetlands preservation or historic landmark preservation or tax laws or smokestack emissions or product safety laws or etc., etc., and etc.? I sincerely doubt they could muster up the motivation.

benenglish,

The IRS will NEVER recover its reputation for HONESTY & FAIR PLAY until the IRS is PURGED from top to bottom of all the CROOKS that intentionally kow-towed to BHO & allowed themselves to be used as a WEAPON AGAINST honest conservatives that had broken NO TAX LAW or REGULATION.
    OR
    Those IRS personnel, who knew about the CORRUPT practices & FALSE CHARGES & did NOTHING to stop the FELONIOUS acts, also deserve to be FIRED, too.

yours, satx

tact

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Presidio
    Absolutely nothing against fundraiser.
    There are people donating all kinds things f things to gvt workers right now which is not only supported by mngmt, it's being used by mngmt.

Either you are truly that ignorant or you are blatantly disregarding code and conduct policies, which I’m inclined to believe it is the latter. There is no shame in your game. In either case, my household isn’t receiving two paychecks and yes we still go to work......not to some cozy little office either. Suck it up, or go find another job.

tact

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Presidio
    BigGreen,

Actually, I believe that ALL of the more than 80 federal LE agencies should be ABOLISHED, except for 3-4 BIG agencies. = DUMP all the drones, keep the good agents & SAVE BILLIONS each year in USELESS DUPLICATION OF EFFORT, WASTE, FRAUD & ABUSE of the taxpayers.

IF I was doing it, I would KEEP the POSTAL INSPECTORS & USMS, as they are the TWO oldest federal LE agencies, the USCG & TREASURY Special Agents.

It makes NO difference all about which BADGE & CREDENTIAL that a LE officer carries. = ALL that counts is TRAINING, HONESTY, JURISDICTION & COMPETENCE.

just my OPINION, satx

So which of those 4 agencies that you’ve listed are going to handle the border and immigration crisis.......since after all the thread is about the border problem?

pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    Either you are truly that ignorant or you are blatantly disregarding code and conduct policies, which I’m inclined to believe it is the latter. There is no shame in your game. In either case, my household isn’t receiving two paychecks and yes we still go to work......not to some cozy little office either. Suck it up, or go find another job.
    Big talk on an internet furom. I haven't begged anyone for any donation. I'm happy to talk to you, man to man, if you're ever local.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    tact,

Do you REALLY not "get it", that I'm talking about CUTTING away NEEDLESS DUPLICATION, FRAUD, WASTE of public resources & ABUSE of the taxpayers, by having ALL 80+ separate agencies, with each having nearly the SAME administrative procedures, payroll offices, HR departments & lots of the other things that are simply NEEDLESS & STUPID to continue??

In 99% of cases, the SAME people will be patrolling the border, investigating crime, apprehending/handling criminals, etc. = I am NOT & WOULD NOT suggest getting rid of any competent/honest FIELD AGENTS, who ACTUALLY are doing the necessary LE tasks.
    (Otoh, IF you are an "upper level manager, who is NOT actually IN real LE anymore OR an SES drone, they would do well to worry about their job being kept.)

ONLY the FAT would be CUT AWAY, IF the government did what I've suggested.
    (In case you don't know, I'm a retired federal LE supervisor & SSA.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    So which of those 4 agencies that you’ve listed are going to handle the border and immigration crisis.......since after all the thread is about the border problem?

tact,

IF I was doing it, I would put the current BP/ICE agents under the USMS & appoint them as Deputy US Marshals.
    The USMS deputies have the BROADEST jurisdiction of any federal officer & could absorb the BP/ICE agents without much trouble. = Their job would remain EXACTLY the same. Only their HQ & possibly badge/ID card/patches would change.
    (Btw, I was once a SDUSM, after I retired from my active LE job & know the USMS fairly well.)

yours, satx

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Big talk on an internet furom. ...

If you are a fan of extremely rude you are in the right place.

Sad reality of the times is that we, gun lovers all, find ways to be abrasive and irksome to one another.

It's the anonymous internet where you get what you pay for... ie. all too often nothing or less.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom