• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have a surgical shoe that is velcro and tactical looking that you may have if you need it to go shooting. I broke three toes in 08' and its what they gave me. Just put a sock on and head on out.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I love to get on the motorcycle and ride out to take pics.

And a beautiful bike it is!

I used to tromp through the weeds to get pictures of wildflowers and used a variety of snake protection. Snakes don't move around much above 85 degrees but if you step on one, or reach up to grab a limb or rock that they are using, things can get unpleasant!

(I believe that I posted this earlier but it's worth a second look.) My Gore Tex snake boots are size 11 wide and, while they're in great shape, I really need size 12, now. The darned things are expensive and I don't want to bite off another pair. SO....my size 12 Motocross boots are going back into service as snake boots! A snake would need jackhammer fangs to bust through them!

There are some beautiful flowers that have caught my eye but their true name still eludes me. They grow only in very wet soil near ditches or in marshy ground. I have scads of flower, snake, sea shells, bird and critter books. Maybe this year, I'll find the answer!

Happy hunting!

Flash

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    do you have any plans to rectify your picture posting problem?

Apparently, during the last TGT crash, pictures of unknown origin were packed into my gallery storage. None of the pics were posted by me and I don't have a clue as to what they are.
    tinypic.com makes it really easy to share photos on here. Choose your file, click upload, follow the instructions, and then copy the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". Paste it into the reply box here. Your photo will show up when you post.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a surgical shoe that is velcro and tactical looking that you may have if you need it to go shooting. I broke three toes in 08' and its what they gave me. Just put a sock on and head on out.

That may have been the perfect answer a while back and I appreciate the offer! I think the healing has progressed beyond that but uneven ground simply KILLS that toe!

A few days ago, I put new door bottom seals on three of my doors and the continuous getting up and down from getting that job done racked that toe! It was my own fault. It needed a bit more time to heal. Of course, I never go to the doctor! My bad.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Last night, I practiced shooting indoors using a hot shoe flash. The objective is finding the perfect combination of F stop, "film" sensitivity, time of exposure and distance. 35mm was easy to understand. Digital is a lot harder to master so experimentation works best.

The built in flash on the D3300 works well, but I wanted the bounce capability of the hotshoe unit to prevent glare and red eye. As stated before, the goofs are simply deleted and there is NO processing cost. Information about hotshoe flash is very sparse.

Still, there are plenty of flash options available in the camera without using a hotshoe. We'll see.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had a lot of fun with this new/old hobby and have learned a lot!

The latest foray into to new knowledge has been with hot shoe flashes and lens filters.

The hotshoe flash of yesteryear is giving some problems. In 35mm, it was pretty easy to set up a hotshoe flash by knowing the film speed and the distance. This computerized stuff is a lot different!

I decided to get a flash that plugs into the computer operation and actually meters TTL (through the lens). The flash was around $100 and has not arrived yet. More will come on this topic, later.

The other subject is the use of various lens filters. I bought a whole set of filters from starlight to full color and graduated color. Of course, I've always used UV filters to protect the lenses.

With digital cameras, I can install a filter and see how it affects the image. If I screw up, I hit delete and it costs nothing. That's a huge leap from 35mm because if I screwed up, the cost for the error remains expensive.

Those filters haven't arrived, either. Gonna have some fun with that!

The beauty of this period of retirement time is that if Jake & I have enough to eat, and we have a home and transportation, I can get virtually anything within reason. It's almost like being a kid in a candy store and I can do whatever the heck I want!

I did a detailed life expectancy test last night and found that:

My life expectancy is 90.34 years of age.
    There is an 85% chance that I'll see 83.2 years.
    There is a 25% chance that I'll see 97.41.

Key factors in these calculations were exercise, diet, blood pressure, family history, low stress and positive attitude.

Got lots more fun projects to do!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The TTL hotshoe flash and the filter set both came in today and I've had a ball learning how to use them.

The weird thing about the flash is that it truly links into the camera computer and you can hear the flash unit making adjustments as the camera gets set up.

When I put the 18-55 lens on the camera, as I adjust the lens focal length, you can see the digital display making the same changes in the flash unit. It's all pretty impressive. Both the camera and the flash are directly linked and operate together.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After the last crash, TGT packed my photo gallery full of crap content that I can't delete. I've asked them repeatedly to assist me in cleaning that garbage out but they just won't respond.

I'm a guest in their house and they make the rules, so I guess the answer to your question is........ I just write about photography.

Flash

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    A really cool trick for bounce flash and still lifes is to set up in a corner with white walls. Bounce the flash off a wall to the other wall and then have it angled down to the subject. You will get some fill light from the fist wall and high back from the second. This is how many table top ad photos are lit (although they use multiple light sources). This is just an approximation of it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    After the last crash, TGT packed my photo gallery full of crap content that I can't delete. I've asked them repeatedly to assist me in cleaning that garbage out but they just won't respond.

I'm a guest in their house and they make the rules, so I guess the answer to your question is........ I just write about photography.

Flash

As has been suggested multiple times previously, why not just set up your own photo gallery using a free hosting service like imageshack or one of the hundred other ones out there? Then you can just post links to it here in the forums, so we can all enjoy the fruits of your hobby!!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The guys who run this outfit have repeatedly ignored my requests to correct that photo gallery problem. The only logical conclusion is that they WANT to shut off my ability to post pictures.

Sure, I could scurry around to circumvent their restrictions by importing photos from elsewhere. It's still their house and the rules are theirs. So be it.

There is nothing that I want so badly that I'm willing to beg for it.

Still, it was fun sharing some experiences and new things learned. If the lack of photos is a problem..........we'll fix it.

Please close the thread.

Flash

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    They may not be able to delete them, but I may be able to help you do it(if we're talking about the same thing here). From a desktop computer -not tapatalk - go to your user cp. Then, go to the bottom of your left column to "attachments". Click on that, and it will let you start deleting posted pics and clearing room so you can post new pics.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'll post some of mine;

CCBayfront_zps191f80d9.jpg

1618664_10202661933044473_762922345014974970_n_zps2965b16b.jpg

1255184_10201151613567430_1445955146_n_zps30f04414.jpg

DSC_0041_zps2e2204e7.jpg

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The guys who run this outfit have repeatedly ignored my requests to correct that photo gallery problem. The only logical conclusion is that they WANT to shut off my ability to post pictures.

Sure, I could scurry around to circumvent their restrictions by importing photos from elsewhere. It's still their house and the rules are theirs. So be it.

There is nothing that I want so badly that I'm willing to beg for it.

Still, it was fun sharing some experiences and new things learned. If the lack of photos is a problem..........we'll fix it.

Please close the thread.

Flash

One of the benefits of using an independent web hosting space, is YOU have total control and not at the mercy of another being, entity or conglomerate.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

Huh wut? Exactly what rules are you talking about? There are no rules saying you can't post pics hosted elsewhere, or links to them.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    tinypic.com makes it really easy to share photos on here. Choose your file, click upload, follow the instructions, and then copy the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". Paste it into the reply box here. Your photo will show up when you post.
    Yep, quoting myself... Here's one I took a few days ago at a KOA in Kentucky. Taken with a sub-par smart phone :laughing:

6itnnm.jpg

Top Bottom