Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What's the oddest/smallest/most hidden/etc. FFL you've ever used?

I'd nominate my childhood FFL, Fry's Pharmacy in Hondo, Texas. It's long gone but back in the day the gun store was a curtained-off room in the back, on the opposite side of the store from the soda fountain. Almost no one knew it existed. Once Mr. Fry trusted you enough to let you in on the secret you found there was a very cozy little man cave behind a curtain with a case full of nice guns. Technically, it was open to the public. If anybody had walked in and wanted to know where the gun store was, the pharmacist would help them. But the only people who knew it was there would be Mr. Fry, invited customers, and the ATF...and only the latter would be asking questions. Otherwise, the place was totally on the down low.

That was an odd setup.

Y'all have stories? Post 'em here.
    Texas SOT

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Close to the old house was a doctor that did transfer out of his house really reasonable. IIRC even my NFA was $25.00. He got out of it because transfer were taking to long & he ran out of room to hold pending transfers.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

Attachments

• Hondo Sign.jpg
      Hondo Sign.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 83

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Crosby Hardware in beautiful downtown Crosby. Small hardware store where you fill out a paper 4473 at the back counter, pay in cash and its an enjoyable experience. Also they will order whatever you want.
    At no point are you treated like a criminal or perp walked to the door like at academy. I'll stop in next week to get my new revolver.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Crosby Hardware in beautiful downtown Crosby. Small hardware store where you fill out a paper 4473 at the back counter, pay in cash and its an enjoyable experience. Also they will order whatever you want.
    At no point are you treated like a criminal or perp walked to the door like at academy. I'll stop in next week to get my new revolver.
    I have been to Pigs' Supply in Crosby but did not know of Crosby Hardware.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Do they have anything in stock or is it pick up and ffl?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have been to Pigs' Supply in Crosby but did not know of Crosby Hardware.
    Pig Supply is actually in the The Highlands. Been a few years since I was in there. Back when there was a waiting period for handguns a department letterhead note would exempt Cops. I had a hell of a time convincing my dept. that I really needed a letter made out to Pig Supply

Edit; The hardware store does not stock, I think they like Gallery of guns.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    A jewelry & coin store, which I think is odd. $20 for LTC holder and about a mile from my house as the crow flies

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Mark Voelker of Voelker Research in COS.

Voelker Research has been serving the Apple Macintosh community since 1985. As an independent and locally owned business, we strive to provide top quality sales, service, and support for all Apple and Apple related products and peripherals. We are totally devoted to supporting the Macintosh!

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Oddest I ever dealt with is Crazy Guns in Alvarado. They have both an online store and a brick an mortar store, but consider them different. If you buy from the online store, but want to pick it up at their brick and mortar location, you have to pay a transfer fee for them to transfer the gun back to themselves. They also keep the doors locked and you have to be buzzed in and out if you want to leave, which I dislike.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Oddest I ever dealt with is Crazy Guns in Alvarado. They have both an online store and a brick an mortar store, but consider them different. If you buy from the online store, but want to pick it up at their brick and mortar location, you have to pay a transfer fee for them to transfer the gun back to themselves. They also keep the doors locked and you have to be buzzed in and out if you want to leave, which I dislike.
    Are the guns for online stored in the same building as the brick and mortar store?

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    A retired older gentleman who charged me $0 per transfer.

A dealer located in a feed shop (not odd other than the location; I use and recommend them).

Top Bottom