• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Oddest I ever dealt with is Crazy Guns in Alvarado. They have both an online store and a brick an mortar store, but consider them different. If you buy from the online store, but want to pick it up at their brick and mortar location, you have to pay a transfer fee for them to transfer the gun back to themselves. They also keep the doors locked and you have to be buzzed in and out if you want to leave, which I dislike.

Smells similar to the old Cheaper Than Dirt model in North Fort Worth.
    DK Firearms

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A hardware store in downtown Elkhart Texas. They only had a few gun that they kept in the gun rack behind the counter, and a few pistols under the counter. But they had a HUGE catalog the kept on the counter, that made a New York city phone directory look small,that they could order just about any gun you might want. I can remember going in their in the very early 1970's with my grandfather, and he had ordered a couple of guns there. I think my father might have ordered a few there as well.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Would a storage unit count as odd?

ETA: Ionce bought a pistol from a man, said come to his house.
    He let me in and there were literally guns everywhere you looked.
    All over furniture, everything....

Changed to the proper "there".
    I saw it in Axxes quote.

:green:

Last edited:

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    My SIL is in charge of the armory at a local prison unit (me being in Walker County, there are 13 within 30 miles of my house and 3 within 10 miles). He was required by the Warden to get an FFL, "just in case."

Unfortunately, I have not exploited this to it's full potential but have reaped some reward. He sometimes shows up at the house with .357 revolvers, AR15s (semi auto as the state doesn't have the fun stuff) and Remington 870s that were recently repaired and needed test firing. We would would spend the day expending state ammo shooting state guns in my back yard.

Never tried to buy anything through him, but I guess it is an option.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    There's a guy in Grapevine, TX, Western Firearms, I think he's still there About 19 years ago I bought a MAC10/9 machine pistol and an old two stage SWD silencer from him. He had a giant room size safe attached to his house/shop with what must have been 100 or more transferrable Thompson SMG's. Even at the time it had to be around $2million worth of inventory.

When I went up to the Denton County Sheriff to have him sign the ATF Form 4, the Sheriff's Deputy who signed by direction of the Sheriff and was a former Texas Ranger (like Sheriff Lucas), said "yeah, I bought a Thompson from Nick, too."

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I forgot the name of the place, but there use to be an old guy who ran a small shop out of his house in Lampasas. Just had stacks of paperwork and gun crap on a kitchen table. One room full of guns and part of the kitchen. Very disorganized. Still bought a GB Mini-14 from him. Long gone now.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There's a guy in Grapevine, TX, Western Firearms, I think he's still there About 19 years ago I bought a MAC10/9 machine pistol and an old two stage SWD silencer from him. He had a giant room size safe attached to his house/shop with what must have been 100 or more transferrable Thompson SMG's. Even at the time it had to be around $2million worth of inventory.

When I went up to the Denton County Sheriff to have him sign the ATF Form 4, the Sheriff's Deputy who signed by direction of the Sheriff and was a former Texas Ranger (like Sheriff Lucas), said "yeah, I bought a Thompson from Nick, too."
    102.jpg
    101.jpg
    100.jpg

Nick's got a thing for Thompsons here is an older picture of the stable. I haven't looked at his web site in a long time I just did & he's listing a Colt M16A2 Commando that shows a huge price over what I got mine for! I 'll have to keep check that to see if it sells!

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Are the guns for online stored in the same building as the brick and mortar store?
    As far as I'm aware, both 'stores' are operated out of the same building, but they don't keep in actual inventory for the online store. I was told that guns bought through the online store have to be ordered through the distributer and are offered at a slightly cheaper price than their brick and mortar inventory.

I found the setup to be completely confusing. I went to buy a Browning BLR from them, it showed to be in stock online, so I called to confirm they have one. They asked "does it show in stock online?" I said "yes" so the dude was like "well, then we got one." So I drove right down. That's when they told me that me that when it says "in stock" online, that doesn't mean they actually have one there, only that their distributer has one.

Last edited:

WarBaby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    DFW, TX
    As far as I'm aware, both 'stores' are operated out of the same building, but they don't keep in actual inventory for the online store. I was told that guns bought through the online store have to be ordered through the distributer and are offered at a slightly cheaper price than their brick and mortar inventory.
    I found the setup to be completely confusing. I went to buy a Browning BLR from them, it showed to be in stock online, so I called to confirm they have one. They asked "does it show in stock online?" I said "yes" so the dude was like "well, then we got one." So I drove right down. That's when they told me that me that when it says "in stock" online, that doesn't mean they actually have one there, only that their distributer has one.
    He had to earn the name "Crazy Gun Dealer" somehow...

Lots of interesting characters in the gun circuit for sure.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

Ok. Sounds like their into shitty tactics to get you in the store. Rather than be to the point about what options you have to buy a gun they gotta pull shit like that. I’m ready to get my ffl when I get my property fixed up. I’m tired of gun shops thinking they need to operate like a dealership.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Would a storage unit count as odd?
    I suppose so. There was a gun shop run out of a storage unit on Kuykendahl in Spring a few years ago. I was in there once and it was an OK small shop mostly interested in AR builds.
    there were literally guns everywhere you looked.
    All over furniture, everything....
    Just had stacks of paperwork and gun crap on a kitchen table. One room full of guns and part of the kitchen. Very disorganized.
    I had some work done by a gunsmith (who had some sort of FFL but I never bought anything through him) who worked out of his house on Hillcroft, just north of Hwy 90. The place was amazing. He had a formal living and dining room where the walls were completely lined with couches. On the couches, stacked at least 3 deep, were rifles. Most of them were benchrest rifles but there were plenty of others. There were other couches, all of them loaded down with rifles, in other rooms. At minimum, there were several hundred, maybe over a thousand. It was stunning to see.

Those weren't even his good guns. The good guns were in one of the safes in a bedroom that served as his office.

Bottom line, he appeared to live in his bedroom and the kitchen; the entire rest of the house was filled with rifles. And this was literally 50 feet from all the traffic passing by on Hillcroft, in a not-very-good neighborhood, in a house that didn't seem to have any special security.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I suppose so. There was a gun shop run out of a storage unit on Kuykendahl in Spring a few years ago. I was in there once and it was an OK small shop mostly interested in AR builds.

I had some work done by a gunsmith (who had some sort of FFL but I never bought anything through him) who worked out of his house on Hillcroft, just north of Hwy 90. The place was amazing. He had a formal living and dining room where the walls were completely lined with couches. On the couches, stacked at least 3 deep, were rifles. Most of them were benchrest rifles but there were plenty of others. There were other couches, all of them loaded down with rifles, in other rooms. At minimum, there were several hundred, maybe over a thousand. It was stunning to see.

Those weren't even his good guns. The good guns were in one of the safes in a bedroom that served as his office.

Bottom line, he appeared to live in his bedroom and the kitchen; the entire rest of the house was filled with rifles. And this was literally 50 feet from all the traffic passing by on Hillcroft, in a not-very-good neighborhood, in a house that didn't seem to have any special security.
    Was he a Mexican guy?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Before I moved, the FFL I went to owned an insurance agency and did his transfers out of the agency. IIRC, it was Farmers. He even had one of his insurance agents set up to do the transfers for when he wasn't there. It was in no way advertised on the property, so you'd never know they did that unless you found their location listed on one of the FFL finder websites.

Top Bottom