• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    So, I'm reviewing my son's homework tonight. He is a middle school student at Kelly Lane Middle School.
    I look through each of the pages and they all start with a question of what the amendment says or is about. Then it asks what they are about.

But....for the 2nd amendment, it says...

"In your opinion, is it necessary to have this amendment today?"

I am furious! The second part of the question says to do an advertisement for the right to bear arms.
    I'm helping him with this. I'm trying to remember a quote from someone in a foreign country that said something to the affect of fear of ever invading America due to guns in every household or something like that.

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    You're looking for a quote that likely was never actually said, but has been repeatedly attributed to Isoroku Yamamoto. The quote is that "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

See here.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You want a ready-made ad in support of the 2A? The top image at this link is something I don't see EVER happening in a place like Texas, where the RKBA is pretty strongly supported. UK: Shocking scenes as rioters steal clothes and forced people to strip naked in the street « European Info Press

The riots are pretty inconceivable to me, too. Every time the anarchists go off out in California, I just shake my head and know that they could never get away with that kind of violence here because they'd be shot down in the streets like the animals they want to be.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The riots are pretty inconceivable to me, too. Every time the anarchists go off out in California, I just shake my head and know that they could never get away with that kind of violence here because they'd be shot down in the streets like the animals they want to be.

Some Koreans in L.A. did a very good job regarding this on April 26, 1992 lol.

As for Mic, make sure to ask your kid to ask other students what they wrote as the answer for that question lol. I want to hear what they were raised to believe.

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    I can't speak to the veracity of this "quote" from Hitler: ""This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" ['Berlin Daily' (Loose English Translation)], April 15th, 1935, Page 3 Article 2]

For a less inflamatory reference, try Caesar Beccaria (Father of Criminology) from his 1764 "On Crimes and Punishments" which is still being taught in colleges today.
    The recent trend of more gun control goes against Beccaria’s idea about citizens’ right to bare arms. In writing about the utility of gun control, he writes, "false is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousands real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience’ that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes" (Beccaria, pg. 87-88). Today many opponents of the gun control laws use Beccaria’s warning as a battle cry. Many use his words, along with the words of other theorists of the time, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, and James Madison, to support their right to bear arms.

I didn't fact check this one from Thomas Jefferson: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

BTW Didn't the sale of aluminum baseball bats go up 6,000+% in London recently?

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I personally like the statement that without the second amendment the rest are just words with nothing to back them up.

I know I didn't say it first but I don't honestly know who did.

It is sad that this kind of indirect propaganda begins as early as middle school. I can only imagine what the teacher is actually telling those kids.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks folks. Mikey - that was the quote I was looking for. Unfortunately, my research indicated what you said - couldn't be confirmed.

I left a little note for his teacher at the bottom of the page expressing my displeasure at the bias in the public school. Igave my son a quick lesson on meaning of 2nd amendment and some ideas. He wound up choosing one that I mentioned.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Man that is really just sad. Glad you put a note on there about your displeasure. I prob would have been saying she needs to call so we can discuss her trying to teach any kid her personal feelings as opposed to what the meaning of the 2nd A actually means. I hate when I hear teachers do that.

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    I'm a HS history teacher and unlike the OP post I believe I talk about guns maybe too much in class but thats a different discussion. I do remind my students about the 2nd Amendment and our rights as free Americans compared to the rest of the world i.e. Mexico (gun laws), Syria (human rights), etc. I dont teach in Austin PS but if I did I know I would hear an out cry from Lib parents and the lessons I teach in class. Good thing I'm out in the West where guns are accepted and liked.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What grade/class was this for? My daughter is also in Pflugerville ISD... I'll check to see if that was in her homework as well.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Why would that question make you furious? Isn't discussion good? What a great opportunity for kids with anti gun parents to hear a different perspective.

I can completely understand why he's mad. MIC says that the text related to the other Amendments were explanations without anything further. Then a follow up question on the meaning. Only under the second amendment was there anything asking if it was still necessary today.

IMO they should be asking that about the 3rd and the 23rd.

Maybe the info he gives his son will help show that teacher his/her bias towards self defense.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I can completely understand why he's mad. MIC says that the text related to the other Amendments were explanations without anything further. Then a follow up question on the meaning. Only under the second amendment was there anything asking if it was still necessary today.

IMO they should be asking that about the 3rd and the 23rd.

Maybe the info he gives his son will help show that teacher his/her bias towards self defense.

The 3rd is still a good idea and needs to be expanded if anything. The intent was to prevent the government from putting spies into your home.

If we were questioning Amendments, I'd question whether the 17th was ever needed at all. Forget whether it was a good idea (it wasn't).

You're right about the 23rd, too. It's the United States. To give DC even partial equality with states is wrong.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    The 3rd is still a good idea and needs to be expanded if anything. The intent was to prevent the government from putting spies into your home.

If we were questioning Amendments, I'd question whether the 17th was ever needed at all. Forget whether it was a good idea (it wasn't).
    You're right about the 23rd, too. It's the United States. To give DC even partial equality with states is wrong.

The third is still misguided. I dont need the government telling me if soldiers can stay in my house, war or peace. I can make that decision on my own.
    Yea I agree. The 17th is total crap. Way too much power to the gubbmint to elect senators.

Top Bottom