• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Why would that question make you furious? Isn't discussion good? What a great opportunity for kids with anti gun parents to hear a different perspective.

How can your typical modern middle school student present a considered argument for OR against the 2nd Amendment? They probably haven't been taught much (if any) U.S. history at that point in their educational lives.

Gun control has always been taught in school. I distinctly remember having to write several papers regarding gun control in high school - in the early 70's. I was the ONLY student in my classes to argue *against* gun control. Teachers, by their very nature are generally liberals in their thought processes, so it really shouldn't surprise anyone here that this assignment raised its ugly head - even in gun-"friendly" Texas.
    ARJ Defense ad

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think if anything is outdated is apportionment (16TH). The IRS is a relic of a failed tax system

If it was my homework I'd say "2nd amt., yes, still needed" and move on to the 16th and how its a failure of policy.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Back in 2005, I had a college professor tell our history class that the 2A was only inserted into the Constitution so we the people could kill Indians!

I immediately went into thermonuclear meltdown.

When he knew he had lost the debate, he just shut down and says "well, that's just your opinion."

I have never felt such anger at a supposedly educated man in my life. Looking back, he reminds me of Rev Wright.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Back in the day at A&M we had a discussion of the morality and ethics surrounding gun control in a philosophy class. The class was half full of guys in Corps uniforms like me, so I think y'all would have appreciated the comments. It was anything but liberal.

Just another reason why my kids will not go to some liberal school like TU. And...I will raise hell with the administration any time I hear of a super liberal professor stepping out of line.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Well Mexican_Hippie, I suspect I was at A&M a little before you and I don't think there would have been much of a discussion back in my day. Most liberals stayed in the closet in those days.

I really enjoy being a highschool government teacher because it gives me the unfettered opportunity to correct any misinformation about the Second Amendment. I had some literature several years ago with a stupid explaination of the Second and I wrote in big black letters across the top of it "This is incorrect" and gave it to the kids. Of course they wanted to know why it was incorrect so that opened my soapbox session. I want them to know the truth.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well Mexican_Hippie, I suspect I was at A&M a little before you and I don't think there would have been much of a discussion back in my day. Most liberals stayed in the closet in those days.

I really enjoy being a highschool government teacher because it gives me the unfettered opportunity to correct any misinformation about the Second Amendment. I had some literature several years ago with a stupid explaination of the Second and I wrote in big black letters across the top of it "This is incorrect" and gave it to the kids. Of course they wanted to know why it was incorrect so that opened my soapbox session. I want them to know the truth.

Got any copies of that? I'd love to see a scan.

Would also like to know where it came from...

Top Bottom