This is why some people shouldn't own tools...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    If it's REALLY hard to remove a compensator from a 15" barrel...it just might be pinned guys:

pinnedFH.gif

More for my to-do list at work... This would've been a much simpler task if he'd have just brought it in instead of trying to remove it himself.

I'll follow this up with a "how to" for blind pinning you can do in your garage if I can actually remember to take some pictures of the process.
    Gun Zone Deals

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    It was pinned perpendicular to the threads, just dimpling them slightly. That's the same way I pin FS, but I'll usually use a setscrew, dimple the threads, tighten and weld over the head. Easy enough to remove with a dremel or an angle grinder with cut off disk if need be, but can't be turned off.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    It was pinned perpendicular to the threads, just dimpling them slightly.

I am interested in this topic, but you might as well be speaking greek. Care to elaborate for those of us that probably would have just forced it off like they did? Seems like its geared for people like me, yet I have no clue what any of that means.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I am interested in this topic, but you might as well be speaking greek. Care to elaborate for those of us that probably would have just forced it off like they did? Seems like its geared for people like me, yet I have no clue what any of that means.

The FS was put in place, then a hole is drilled through the FS and just barely into the threads. A pin is put in place, the hole is welded over, then the weld is sanded smooth and refinished.

Over 9000 hours in MSPaint:
    IMG_0185.gif

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    So what you are saying is there is no way to determine that the device had been installed with that pin after the job was done properly? Well until you try to remove it, and then find out it's stuck, and it's up to you to then know why? For it to be permanently installed (as to get barrel length legal) does it have to be this well hidden, or is that just a bonus? Personally I would rather it not be like that, and able to see if it has a pin I need to remove prior to un-assembly.

(Beginning to wonder which person should not own tools now, the first guy who did it that way, or the second guy who got it off.)

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    So what you are saying is there is no way to determine that the device had been installed with that pin after the job was done properly? Well until you try to remove it, and then find out it's stuck, and it's up to you to then know why? For it to be permanently installed (as to get barrel length legal) does it have to be this well hidden, or is that just a bonus? Personally I would rather it not be like that, and able to see if it has a pin I need to remove prior to un-assembly.

(Beginning to wonder which person should not own tools now, the first guy who did it that way, or the second guy who got it off.)

most guys already KNOW their barrel is pinned. most guys recess the flash hider and use a setscrew to countersink and then weld over the top leaving a spot weld exposed so you can visually and physically feel its been pinned. some guys care that its been pinned and want to remove any appearance of it by sanding it flush and refinishing it. if youre buying used or new its up to you to ask if its been pinned or not.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Other than to meet the minimum standards of length is there really any reason to pin it on?

Have there been problems with those things coming unscrewed?

Most every barrel I have bought new did not come with the muzzle device installed, so it's new to me on that. I can see your point, just hope I never get one by mistake, or the seller not know that it's pinned.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Other than to meet the minimum standards of length is there really any reason to pin it on?

Most every barrel I have bought new did not come with the muzzle device installed, so it's new to me on that. I can see your point, just hope I never get one by mistake, or the sell not know that it's pinned.

i can think of no reasons to pin outside of OAL requirements. your device should not come unscrewed if properly torqued. if it does, nothing blue locktite cant fix.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio

Most every barrel I have bought new did not come with the muzzle device installed, so it's new to me on that. I can see your point, just hope I never get one by mistake, or the sell not know that it's pinned.

The only requirement to pin is to meet barrel length requirements.

On legal barrels some people will use a crush washer and/or grub screw to help keep FH from rotating off.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    This was a Wilson Combat factory gun. The only reason to pin a flash suppressor or comp is to meet barrel length requirements.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    This was a Wilson Combat factory gun. The only reason to pin a flash suppressor or comp is to meet barrel length requirements.

Ok, so it's not a common issue. My point is don't be so hard on the guy that removed it. The vast majority of guns out there are not this way, and you said they try to hide it as best as possible. So why would he expect it? I would not expect any of my guns to have been pinned. If I were to buy one that needed a pinned on hider, I would hope to know where that pin was in case I wanted to remove it. The idea of guessing it is there somewhere and then grinding all around to find a spot of metal, digging out the covering metal so I could unscrew a set screw seems like a lot of work.

I just don't think the guy did anything that bad. A lot of others would have done the same thing.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok, so it's not a common issue. My point is don't be so hard on the guy that removed it. The vast majority of guns out there are not this way, and you said they try to hide it as best as possible. So why would he expect it? I would not expect any of my guns to have been pinned. If I were to buy one that needed a pinned on hider, I would hope to know where that pin was in case I wanted to remove it. The idea of guessing it is there somewhere and then grinding all around to find a spot of metal, digging out the covering metal so I could unscrew a set screw seems like a lot of work.

I just don't think the guy did anything that bad. A lot of others would have done the same thing.

I'd say that he should have realized it was a 14.5" barreled upper, which is going to have a pinned muzzle device.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'd say that he should have realized it was a 14.5" barreled upper, which is going to have a pinned muzzle device.

+1

And it does not take much effort to get off if it is not pinned. So once he encountered resistance, he should have checked for a pin.

piledriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Katy
    Those threads can be cleaned up. Use a FH like Wilson makes that does not use a crush washer. I think it's called a Vortex? It keeps it self tight by design. The last remaining threads shout be enough to keep it tight.

I'm not a expert on the shorter barrel law but I'm pretty sure the FH needs to pined or welded to meet the 16 inch rule.

Top Bottom