listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
    any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or
    educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation
    vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or
    educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
    regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    I'm wondering:
    *Has anyone here gotten "written authorization from the institution"?
    *Who did you get it from?
    *Is there any particular form for this authorization?
    *Anyone even tried to get such authorization?
    Guns International

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I did a presentation about CHL's on campus...and basically terrified everyone when I pulled my Ruger LCP holster (Empty) out from under my shirt to show them that guns wouldn't be a distraction. Scared the shit out of everyone. So i'm preeeeeeeety sure you won't get any signatures...especially with the power trips 150% of all campus police are on.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    A coulpe of years ago, a local principle discharged a firearm inside his office at a local junior high.
    This was durning school hours. I never hear any follow up on his punishment either. I supported hangin him on the courthouse lawn.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I supported hangin him on the courthouse lawn.
    For a ND? Is there more to the story, or am I missing something here? What is your problem with him? I think every teacher/ administrator should be packing, as well as every visiting CHL holder. If it was an intentional discharge, then maybe.

I don't see many schools signing to let you carry there. These are "gun free zones", so we don't need to, right?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    For a ND? Is there more to the story, or am I missing something here? What is your problem with him? I think every teacher/ administrator should be packing, as well as every visiting CHL holder. If it was an intentional discharge, then maybe.

I don't see many schools signing to let you carry there. These are "gun free zones", so we don't need to, right?

The man wasnt suspose to have a gun on school property in the first place. The laws burdon us all and when school officials take it upon themselfs to ignor the law that sooooo many people continue to throw in my face, then yea, I get a little testy about it. I call it my anti elitist campaign!! Hang the Elitist!!!
    Actually the point I was trying to make with my post was the issue of the idiot discharging a firearm INSIDE OF THE SCHOOL DURING SCHOOL HOURS... That could have gotton some kid shot!!! I have no pitty for a grown man who acts in a manner the could harm children!! No Matter What The Laws Say! A reckless discharge is far worse than an intentional one in my opinion.
    Guns at schools dont really bother me, and im not against schools having firearms stored in case of something goes wrong. Reckless discharging a firearm inside of a school is far from being responsible.
    If I can find a news article on it, i'll post it. I look on a local news site and couldnt find it, but i'll call the paper for help. Its a couple 2 or 3 years old.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    actually you can carry a gun (with CHL(or in your vehicle) on school property, you cannot carry INSIDE the premises...
    Now thats a comment I've been pondering for a while. All I find is grey areas , and the Castle Doctrine always leads me back to the same conclusion. Leave it in the P.U...
    Actually I have wondered about the issue with driving kids to school with a firearm in the vehicle, while in a school zone, the vehicle is still an extension of your home.
    Too many laws regulating honest people just makes honest people outlaws!! Most everyday, I find myself breaking some kind of law and have'nt done anything wrong to anyone!! Go figure, im the guy that looks out for all my neighbors stuff, but in the laws eyes, im a criminal for doing so!

border bandit

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    "actually you can carry a gun (with CHL(or in your vehicle) on school property, you cannot carry INSIDE the premises..."

Sorry HIGHCAP you are wrong; you may not carry on the premises.. it does state however that "Driveways, sidewalks, parking lots and parking garages are not consider a part of the premises" in the State of Texas. cant quote the statute cause i dont have book in front of me.. read it

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    "Premises" is clearly defined in the penal code:

"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    From Penal Code Section 46.035
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf page 47 I think in the PDF, page 41 of the handbook I believe

"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The
    term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk​
    or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area

It was my understanding you cant have a firearm anywhere on a college campus. Is that the same thing or different? A cop buddy told me a few year ago to stop parking on campus because he knew I carries a 12 gauge around. I've been thinking you couldnt have anything anywhere around there. So after that discussion, I stop going to any college events and stop taking their classes. I actually found I could learn more of what I need to know off the internet and a whole lot faster.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    It was my understanding you cant have a firearm anywhere on a college campus. Is that the same thing or different? A cop buddy told me a few year ago to stop parking on campus because he knew I carries a 12 gauge around. I've been thinking you couldnt have anything anywhere around there. So after that discussion, I stop going to any college events and stop taking their classes. I actually found I could learn more of what I need to know off the internet and a whole lot faster.

What you are reading here pertains to CHL holders,, in section PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSEHOLDER, I have not looked into how it pertains to carry under other circumstances such as the MPA of 2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Home of Texas A&M University
    With a CHL, we can carry anywhere on or near campus, simply not into any building, without written authorization... even in my CHL class no one has focused on the "written authorization" part of the code. Does it mean the president of the institution? the board of regents? one's supervisor? who did the legislature have in mind? No one seems to know...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Your cop friend is mistaken. Under Texas law, you can have a gun in the parking lot but not in school premises. If you don't have a CHL you might be in violation of the Federal gun free school zone act, but I've never heard of that being enforced because they don't want it to be declared unconstitutional again.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The
    term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk​
    or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I dont have a CHL. I guess if some loon decides to shoot up one of my schools, I just watch from a 1000 foot away! the 12 gauge and 45 I carry around wont reach that far!!

Maybe the parking lot is more than 1000 feet away from the school building.

But don't worry about someone shooting up your school, don't you know guns aren't allowed there?

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I dont have a CHL. I guess if some loon decides to shoot up one of my schools, I just watch from a 1000 foot away! the 12 gauge and 45 I carry around wont reach that far!!

At one of the ACCD campuses here in San Antonio, we actually had a librarian walk into the library and shoot his coworker. Pretty ridiculous to say we're not allowed to arm ourselves with shit like that happening.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Why did you quote my post and then repeat exactly what I said?

Well I didn't repeat what you said, I clarified or elaborated on what you stated as you did not give the definition and I added the link to the PC for those who wanted to look at it themselves

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom