Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Okay. Again how do you know if these people do or do not support the site? Do you know them personally and they told you that they do not?
    There is a banner that shows a supporter. If there is no banner, only the member knows if they support the site. Maybe you can contact a mod and see why your banner doesn't show up.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    All this hand-wringing over strangers selling/buying guns - where else do I hear that?

TBH, I *think* there was only one poster that brought up issues that can occur with any non-new from FFL transaction.

What I read mostly is that there is concern about adding a F2F component to the eligibility for posting in the classifieds, and I think that’s a reasonable concern, even though we have good members here AND we support a F2F component to this forum.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    There is a banner that shows a supporter. If there is no banner, only the member knows if they support the site. Maybe you can contact a mod and see why your banner doesn't show up.
    No need. I don't have a banner currently because I have not "recently" made a site donation. I definitely intend to. I have in the past. I also contribute to this forum in other ways when possible. I don't need to have a banner to offer an opinion on something I have been a part of for several years.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Well you made a good point earlier that a creep can pretend to be normal for a short amount of time, so you might not get any reliable information, but in general people are just much more affable after having face to face conversations. Just a little bit of face time with someone makes online conversations more meaningful, and you understand the other person better.
    That’s all well and good if you are the exact one making the transaction and need the good feels, but will you rely on other members to vet by proxy your specific criteria for a supposedly clean classified transaction?

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    TBH, I *think* there was only one poster that brought up issues that can occur with any non-new from FFL transaction.

What I read mostly is that there is concern about adding a F2F component to the eligibility for posting in the classifieds, and I think that’s a reasonable concern, even though we have good members here AND we support a F2F component to this forum.

I read that 3 times. I don't know what the hell you're talkin about.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I thought when Craigslist started up " man here's a good idea that's going to become a nightmare if they don't figure out a way to keep it from becoming bait". They didn't, it did. I used to do business on Arms list and Gun Trader until the flakes and scammers made it just not worth the trouble.

What I notice is folks that opine there should be no rules don't seem to be the ones I see active in the Classifieds, maybe they don't have a dog in the fight. I don't need anybody to hold my hand, done plenty of FTF deals with strangers. Some were flakes and it was a pain in the ass, part of the game.

BUT seeing names in the classifieds I see every day in thread after thread having friendly discussion makes me feel like a FTF deal is going to be pretty reasonable. So far that's been true and it was true of the local forum I participated on in Colorado, even made a friend or two. I feel like I'm part of a community and not just another buy/sell website.

I don't know what's a reasonable amount of effort for the mods or what is least likely to be gamed. Maybe just be active and you'll know who's a flake or potential scammer but I don't think it should be wide open because of what we've all seen happen to the rest of them.

If there are any women or just folks uncomfortable about going to a deal in my area ping me, I'll ride along.
    What if we're uncomfortable about you?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That’s all well and good if you are the exact one making the transaction and need the good feels, but will you rely on other members to vet by proxy your specific criteria for a supposedly clean classified transaction?
    I dunno, I think you're over-complicating it. It's not really about vetting, but participation. Like the current rule is.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I never used the word “solution.” I just used the term “common sense,” to describe a way of thinking.

It is not BS to to say that women AS A GROUP have been trained to think that it should go against your better judgment to meet up face to face with someone you encounter online.

If you want to turn off women from this site, then just ignore what I am saying and let that be one more thing about this forum that isn’t very female friendly.

The problem is "common sense" is not very common.

I don't see that you would be "tasked" to meet with someone. Most likely a mod would ask who would be available do it.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I dunno, I think you're over-complicating it. It's not really about vetting, but participation. Like the current rule is.
    Let’s keep it simple then. I’m telling you that most women trying to use an online forum would not be comfortable with that level of face to face participation as a new member.

It’s a bad idea with very little payoff for that off-putting hoop to jump through.

all I get in response is oh well they should bring a friend along.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The problem is "common sense" is not very common.

I don't see that you would be "tasked" to meet with someone. Most likely a mod would ask who would be available do it.

I'm pretty sure that she was referring to a new female member meeting a stranger in order to sell.

Not herself meeting with a new member.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom