• subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Hey Y'all,

So I'm pondering and pondering the D&H Magazine sale at Palmetto....

They are a decent price at $8 each.

I love my Pmags, but I have a couple of the mag cans with the foam cutout so that I can keep 8-10 mags loaded and ready to go to the range and I don't waste range time loading.

Problem is that it has been noted (and I believe discussed here) that if you leave the Pmags loaded, the spring tension will start to open up the feed lips, causing them to misfeed, and some have mentioned them getting stuck in the gun.

I'm thinking about swapping the Pmags for D&H steel mags due to this issue.

What are folks thoughts on that? And what are the reviews like on the D&H's? I haven't heard anything bad at all....just want to make sure before I drop $$$$.

Thanks!
    Military Camp

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Not all of them will spread out like that. Only a few. Magpul will warranty them
    I didn't know that!! Honestly, I haven't checked the few yet that I've had loaded over a year.

Sometime I'll free up some time and get a life....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Well, this opens a whole other bag of worms....

Does anyone have any complaints about the aluminium vs the steel?

See....this is what happens when you dont devote enough time to the forums people.....you turn stupid!!

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I have some D&H mags. They seem to work just fine. My Gen 2 Pmags came with the dust cover clips that are supposed to prevent lip deformation.

I didn't know that the dust covers were designed to keep the lips from spreading. 'Spose I should start keeping those on.....

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    Well, this opens a whole other bag of worms....

Does anyone have any complaints about the aluminium vs the steel?

See....this is what happens when you dont devote enough time to the forums people.....you turn stupid!!

I have a ton of the Colt aluminum 20rd mags and like them a lot. No issues but they are used at the range or sit loaded in the rifle so not a hard life. O also let me the Troy built mags too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Southpaw, I'm 110% stoked that you dropped in here. Are these $8 mags a decent to good deal?

I think these are a good deal, though my cheap ass has trouble getting past the shipping plus tax or I would be placing an order once a month. But mark my words, as soon as they sell out or go up in price I will be the one crying to myself for not buying more, so take that for what it's worth. You may want to check out Brownells too. They usually have a coupon with free shipping and no tax for their Brownells branded aluminum mags but you will have to do some research on if they are the same. Someone here might be able to chime in on that.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I think these are a good deal, though my cheap ass has trouble getting past the shipping plus tax or I would be placing an order once a month. But mark my words, as soon as they sell out or go up in price I will be the one crying to myself for not buying more, so take that for what it's worth. You may want to check out Brownells too. They usually have a coupon with free shipping and no tax for their Brownells branded aluminum mags but you will have to do some research on if they are the same. Someone here might be able to chime in on that.

My issue is similar. I have enough Pmags to keep me happy...then some. But the lips spreading has been eating at my mind. And I COULD order

Are these aluminum mags cheaper then the steel? Any issues with wear? Seems I opened up a whole 'nother can of worms for myself, LOL!

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Welcome back SSS! I was actually just recently wondering where you had been.
    No worries if you use the snap on p-mag covers. Problem is, most places started selling the MOE version, because they are cheaper, that don’t come with the cover.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My issue is similar. I have enough Pmags to keep me happy...then some. But the lips spreading has been eating at my mind. And I COULD order

Are these aluminum mags cheaper then the steel? Any issues with wear? Seems I opened up a whole 'nother can of worms for myself, LOL!

I'm pretty sure all I've only owned aluminum, so I can't speak for steel mags.

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Never had any issue with D&H or NHMTG aluminum mags.

The only steel AR mag I've owned is a H&K and it's too pricey compared to other brands. I sort of bought it out of curiosity and found out there wasn't really any noticeable difference from USGI ones.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I wouldnt waste money on steel mags unless your getting the HK maritime mags.

The Korean steel mags and those newer Israeli steel mags are cheaper but I would buy magpul followers and high quality springs. They are cheap insurance for utter reliability.

I scoop up all the discarded usgi mags I can find in bargains bins. Magpul fanboi's discard them as trash it seems. Add magpul followers and new springs and for 5 or 6 bucks you have premium tested reliable mags. Regardless of how rough the outside may look.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Out of curiosity, do you under load, or fill your mags to capacity?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom