• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    I have heard some opinions both ways, and I'm kind of on the fence.

Open Carry Pro: NO MORE HIDING And covering your weapon....Makes getting dressed easier.

CHL Pro: Adds professionalism and prevents 'show offs' from making a deal out of their side arm.

Open Carry Con: Bad guys get false sense that they know who's carrying and who's not.

CHL Con: See Open Carry Pro.

What are ya'll's thoughts?
    Military Camp

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I think open carry would just make things easier. It would be good if legalizing open carry didn't infringe upon those who still want to carry concealed.

I think we're still a ways from open carry being legalized anyway, but that's a quick thought from me on the subject.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There have been MANY threads about this topic. I can't imagine this one will be any diifferent than those.

There will be lies told about flashing or printing, Texas being one of only a handful of states that completely ban open carry, unproven claims that no open carry causes no problems (despite all of the threads I have read about people in open carry states having issues with LE) then in the same breath they claim criminals won't open carry because they don't want to draw attention (that's pretty incongruent thinking).

Some will offer rational arguments that the licensing and requirment to conceal is unconstitutional. Some will vehemently oppose open carry, they usually say it ruins the element of surprise or will cause showing off, etc.

Then there will likely be an off topic rant about legislators making laws that people who have done nothing wrong can't follow, and the legislators are angainst the citizens. That rant will likely contain a completely off topic rant about cops.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    There have been MANY threads about this topic. I can't imagine this one will be any diifferent than those.

There will be lies told about flashing or printing, Texas being one of only a handful of states that completely ban open carry, unproven claims that no open carry causes no problems (despite all of the threads I have read about people in open carry states having issues with LE) then in the same breath they claim criminals won't open carry because they don't want to draw attention (that's pretty incongruent thinking).

Some will offer rational arguments that the licensing and requirment to conceal is unconstitutional. Some will vehemently oppose open carry, they usually say it ruins the element of surprise or will cause showing off, etc.

Then there will likely be an off topic rant about legislators making laws that people who have done nothing wrong can't follow, and the legislators are angainst the citizens. That rant will likely contain a completely off topic rant about cops.

TOTALLY agreed!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Unless you suggest we all go out and test the "traveling" provision regularly, then I'd say that this isn't a lie.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Considering recent events in Arizona, it will be interesting to see if this will affect their very pro-gun laws...

Otherwise, txinvestigator has pretty much nailed how this thread will end up!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    which is what I sometimes fail to understand. You can OC a long gun but no one does or wants to....yet the screaming for OC of handguns is non-stop. Do people think that with the stroke of a pen, people will quit calling police when they see someone OCing? I believe that the public mindset needs to be adjusted before an OC bill has a prayer.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    which is what I sometimes fail to understand. You can OC a long gun but no one does or wants to....yet the screaming for OC of handguns is non-stop. Do people think that with the stroke of a pen, people will quit calling police when they see someone OCing? I believe that the public mindset needs to be adjusted before an OC bill has a prayer.

You can carry a rifle, but people still pay $250+ to obtain a CHL. It's the whole idea that you don't take a pneumatic jack hammer along with you if you are hanging pictures in your house.

Regardless of it's usage or applicability, I want the liberty of carrying a firearm, open or otherwise. I'm completely for open carry, but I would still maintain a mostly concealed pistol because it is advantageous.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    You can carry a rifle, but people still pay $250+ to obtain a CHL. It's the whole idea that you don't take a pneumatic jack hammer along with you if you are hanging pictures in your house.

Regardless of it's usage or applicability, I want the liberty of carrying a firearm, open or otherwise. I'm completely for open carry, but I would still maintain a mostly concealed pistol because it is advantageous.
    True dat and then some more...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Unless you suggest we all go out and test the "traveling" provision regularly, then I'd say that this isn't a lie.

Of course it is a lie. Calififornia is one of the states they hail as having open carry, but the fail to mention that is for UNLOADED handguns. Since they include that lie, I have to conclude that many of the other states don't have general open carry for everone.

To address Texas; Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns. Of the 8 circusmtances when Joe Citizen CAN carry, only THREE require the handgun be concealed. That is only 38% of the circumstances when a handgun can be carried on or about your person that that handgun must be concealed. That means in 63% of the circumstances open carry IS allowed. In fact, in one of thise circumstances, the handgun MUST be in plain view.

So I could say, with the same level of intellectual honesty as the California claim, that in Texas when you can carry a handgun we require open carry 13% of the time.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can open carry a long gun.

Yeah, but I hate running through the woods in the to avoid having an uncomfortable conversation at gunpoint.

Of course it is a lie. Calififornia is one of the states they hail as having open carry, but the fail to mention that is for UNLOADED handguns. Since they include that lie, I have to conclude that many of the other states don't have general open carry for everone.

To address Texas; Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns. Of the 8 circusmtances when Joe Citizen CAN carry, only THREE require the handgun be concealed. That is only 38% of the circumstances when a handgun can be carried on or about your person that that handgun must be concealed. That means in 63% of the circumstances open carry IS allowed. In fact, in one of thise circumstances, the handgun MUST be in plain view.

So I could say, with the same level of intellectual honesty as the California claim, that in Texas when you can carry a handgun we require open carry 13% of the time.

California open carry is only unloaded in incorporated areas. In unincorporated areas of below a certain population density, loaded is perfectly legal.

When, other than traveling, on property under your control, hunting or at a range can you open carry in Texas?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yeah, but I hate running through the woods in the to avoid having an uncomfortable conversation at gunpoint.

California open carry is only unloaded in incorporated areas. In unincorporated areas of below a certain population density, loaded is perfectly legal.
    Well then, my statement is certainly as true as the one about California.

When, other than traveling, on property under your control, hunting or at a range can you open carry in Texas?
    WOW, you just named three times that OC is perfectly legal in Texas. That does not sound like the lie that Texas bands OC, does it? To answer your question, a person acting as an armed PRIVATE security officer MUST carry in plain view, and a person supervising the operation of a TABC licensed establishment can carry any way he pleases.

See my point? It is disingenious to say Texas bans open carry, then list a state that requires your gun be unloaded unless you are are out in the sticks as an example of an OC state. I call that a lie. it is talking out of both sides of your face (I don't mean you specifically, but generically) ;)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'm for Open Carry and Concealed Carry without a license for two reasons.

Remove all arbitrary fees and testing.

Expand the freedom to move about with a firearm without having to prove, defend or be regulated by what circumstances and conditions one carries are lawful in publicly accessible areas.

Top Bottom