• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    I'm for Open Carry and Concealed Carry without a license for two reasons.

Remove all arbitrary fees and testing.

Expand the freedom to move about with a firearm without having to prove, defend or be regulated by what circumstances and conditions one carries are lawful in publicly accessible areas.

My Libertarian views don't expand that far; people with mental disorders (deemed by a license physician not the state) shouldn't be able to carry or ex-cons etc. Some regulation has to be in effect to avoid total anarchy....all be it minimal. In theory, I would like it to be local municipalities but I'll tolerate the state level. The closer to the citizen the laws created, the easier it is for the citizen to control how they are written and implemented.
    Capitol Armory ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    . In theory, I would like it to be local municipalities but I'll tolerate the state level. The closer to the citizen the laws created, the easier it is for the citizen to control how they are written and implemented.
    And easier it is for a citizen to violate laws. For example, I live in the DFW area and travel thru up to 10 towns a day. It is better for these laws to be at the state level, with ONE law we all abide.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My Libertarian views don't expand that far; people with mental disorders (deemed by a license physician not the state) shouldn't be able to carry or ex-cons etc. Some regulation has to be in effect to avoid total anarchy....all be it minimal. In theory, I would like it to be local municipalities but I'll tolerate the state level. The closer to the citizen the laws created, the easier it is for the citizen to control how they are written and implemented.

The GCA of 68' limits the possession of firearms by those individuals, so there is already laws in place in that regard.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    As Texas1911 states, I'm addressing carry laws only. A person must be able to posses a firearm first, before they are able to carry. I have little qualms with ownership regulations at the State Level that cover your concerns that we share\agree on.

At the Federal level I think an adult aged 18 or older should be able to purchase a handgun from an FFL.

And that a person who has been convicted of a felony should have a path to regain his or her rights as we all "sin".

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    As Texas1911 states, I'm addressing carry laws only. A person must be able to posses a firearm first, before they are able to carry. I have little qualms with ownership regulations at the State Level that cover your concerns that we share\agree on.

At the Federal level I think an adult aged 18 or older should be able to purchase a handgun from an FFL.

And that a person who has been convicted of a felony should have a path to regain his or her rights as we all "sin".

I agree with all of that except for the felon thing. It depends on what he/she was convicted of. Killer, rapist, violent, crime with a gun, repeat offenders, etc... Absolutely not! The rest can be restored (maybe) on a case by case basis. If it's slow to do it that way then so be it. They shouldn't have become a criminal.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The excuse that many convicts make is that their felony wasnt violent so they should be able to get a gun...
    I guess the guy that got caught driving 10 keys of coke for the cartel should get his rights back? I mean he was just trafficking dope.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The excuse that many convicts make is that their felony wasnt violent so they should be able to get a gun...
    I guess the guy that got caught driving 10 keys of coke for the cartel should get his rights back? I mean he was just trafficking dope.

Of course he should. You heard him yourself when he was arrested: "Hey - how'd that get in there. I've never seen that in my life, officer!"

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I didn't say all felons should be excused. Just that there should be a path to enter back as a full member of society.

The criteria for such a path would be up to some debate but I don't think all felons deserve a lifetime of that scarlet letter and there should be a formal path to removing the felony that is better than the unfair and unregulated system in place.

An 18 year old who gets busted with a small amount of weed should be able to protect his family when he's 40 years old and hasn't touched the stuff in over 20 years.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I agree on the path for getting rights back, but it should be HELLACIOUS. You should have to REALLY want it and REALLY prove that you are different and no longer a leach on society.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Of course it is a lie. Calififornia is one of the states they hail as having open carry, but the fail to mention that is for UNLOADED handguns. Since they include that lie, I have to conclude that many of the other states don't have general open carry for everone.

To address Texas; Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns. Of the 8 circusmtances when Joe Citizen CAN carry, only THREE require the handgun be concealed. That is only 38% of the circumstances when a handgun can be carried on or about your person that that handgun must be concealed. That means in 63% of the circumstances open carry IS allowed. In fact, in one of thise circumstances, the handgun MUST be in plain view.

So I could say, with the same level of intellectual honesty as the California claim, that in Texas when you can carry a handgun we require open carry 13% of the time.
    Statutorily this is correct but the reality is that many cops don't know the laws, and doing much of the above is likely to result in unjustified detainment and harassment.

I believe TCLEOSE should create a mandatory module on TX gun laws and add it to the training cycle.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    When, other than traveling, on property under your control, hunting or at a range can you open carry in Texas?
    A person can also OC if he is en route between the premises of hunting fishing or sporting activity and the actor's residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Statutorily this is correct but the reality is that many cops don't know the laws, and doing much of the above is likely to result in unjustified detainment and harassment.

I believe TCLEOSE should create a mandatory module on TX gun laws and add it to the training cycle.

I disagree with the second part of your first paragraph, but it is beside the point. The fact is, those who tout california as an open carry state are just as correct as I am calling Texas one. It makes the other states they claim to be complete OC suspicious, AND shades doubt on the rest of their arguments.

We can discuss the merits of OC under our carry laws, and what may happen to one who does, but that is not the point of this thread.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

I agree 100% on your comment because I have been thrown in jail because a Cop didnt know the law. His CO didnt know crap either!
    To what extent this becomes an issue, I have no idea. I would have to think it would be pretty common though.
    The second part of your post would be a great benefit to the community.

Top Bottom