Join TexasGunTalk

Thoughts on Taurus PT111 Millenium G2

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ikillbugs, Jul 31, 2016.

1. ikillbugs

ikillbugs New Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Gun Barrel City
    Having had only revolvers for home SD I recently applied for my LTC (oh the waiting game). I picked up a Ruger LCP to carry but wanted to consider a 9MM as another option. Browsing Bud's Gun Shop I stumbled across a Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 for $210. I haven't given the brand or the gun much thought. I have been thinking about getting a S&W SD40VE - about $320 from Academy but at $210... not much more than a Hi-Point C9.... sounds like a good deal to me! Funny thing though, when I added the Taurus to the cart suddenly the price jumped to $265. I guessed I just happened to jump in right when they did a price change. I thought twice and decided I'll wait. In the meantime I was looking online for reviews on this pistol (I was going to do this before finalizing my purchase anyway). Reviews seemed favorable and even Hickock45 gave it an overall thumbs up. Later I saw my email reminding me about the shopping cart... I clicked on it and the price was back down to $210 so I completed the purchase before they had the chance to change their minds again.

Edit: I failed to mention it came with free shipping too... so $210.12 plus $25 FFL transfer = $235.12 total cost :laughing:

I was getting ready to post a link to the gun in case others are interested in snatching one up but just then the price is back up to $265! Here's the link anyway just in case. Even at $265 + FFL transfer it's not a bad deal.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...aurus+111G2+PT111+Millennium+G2+12+1+9mm+3.2"

So, in a few days I will be going to my FFL and picking this up and I am curious what you guys think about this gun and want your insight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. BG1960

BG1960 Well-Known

Many will badmouth Taurus, I have 3. None are the PT111, so I can't speak to that particular weapon. All of mine have been completely trouble free.

3. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have a PT111 Millennium Pro (previous model) that I got in the one and only gun trade I've ever made in my life. This was back during the 2008 Obama gun panic and I found a fellow who wanted the Kel-Tec P3AT I bought off a friend and hated (to be fair, the friend hated it as well and warned me!). At that time you couldn't find .380 if your life depended on it so switching to a 9mm was highly desirable. I asked the other guy several times if he was sure he wanted to go through with the trade, and he was adamant that he wanted a pocket pistol, so we did the deal.

While it is not a carry gun nor one that I shoot much, I have had nothing but positive experiences with my PT111 MilPro! Actually, I love the restrike trigger and short reset; and I'm pretty accurate with it. I've never had a FTF/FTE with it, and about the only issue I had to deal with was one of the mag lips was bent when I got it (the guy trading it told me about it). I contacted Taurus and they told me to send it in. A week or so later, I got a brand new mag in the mail. I obviously wasn't the original owner, but Taurus never even questioned me about the pistol, they just told me to send in the mag. That impressed me enough to go out and buy a PT709 Slim (single-stack 9mm) and a PT738 (I had to replace the P3AT with something decent). All have been faultless.

I know Taurus had a bad reputation back in the 1980s, I have an old .38 revolver of theirs with isn't anything to get excited about but it was my Dad's BUG so I won't get rid of it. However, with the exception of the Judge, I wouldn't hesitate to add another Taurus to my collection. For the price I have been very pleased with them, and think they are an excellent choice for someone who might not be able to afford a Glock or Springfield Armory firearm...

Cheers! M2

4. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I own only one Taurus semi auto, and that is the PT92 which seems to be their most reliable semi auto from what the interweb has to say. I did have to send it back for a oversized bore issue, but I'm a bit picky like that. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed since it shot ok. It's a good gun and it's one of my favorites (shoots great now!). I can't speak about the PT111 personally, since I've never handled one. Taurus will pay the shipping (for the first year) and fix the gun for free if you have any issues though.

5. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Banned

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Taurus got sued and lost $35million in a class action lawsuit. They had problems with the semi autos going off when dropped. People got shot. Supposedly Taurus said they didn't know the pistol had a problem and continued to make them. For years and years. Only recourse.....send it back and they'll inspect for you.

Pt-111 millennium was one in the lawsuit. No model g2 was involved.

That's why folks cuss them.

6. ikillbugs

ikillbugs New Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Gun Barrel City
    Thanks for the replies. I usually regret impulse buys - and I had no intention of buying a gun today but the $210 price tag was too good to pass up - and well since I was in the market anyway. I'll let y'all know my experience once I get the chance to poke some holes with it.

7. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not quite, the lawsuit was recent (the past year or so), and people have been badmouthing Taurus long before that. Most have never owned one, and are merely repeating what they heard or read on the Internet.

And if you won't buy a gun from a manufacturer that has been sued and/or involved in a recall, you aren't going to have small choice to choose from!

Lastly, since you are so knowledgeable on the topic, tell me exactly how many Taurus firearms discharged after being dropped? And if you do your homework, you'll find that Glock has been subject to more similar lawsuits for dropped weapons going off than any other manufacturer. Springfield Armory also had to issue a recall with its XD-S not long ago after one owner experienced a “slam-fire” with his pistol during loading.

If you prefer the government impose more safety requirements on handguns sold in this country, we'll just keep going down this road where owners blame their firearms for their mistakes. Gee, holding people accountable for their actions instead of inanimate objects...where have we heard that argument before?!?

8. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'll just leave this here. It's why I won't ever buy a Taurus again. Second extractor and its sheered again...1911 Taurus.

IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg

Now I understand they have apparently come a long way but this extractor was replaced awhile ago and the gun is from 2009. So from 2009 - 2015ish, their extractors, at least for the 1911 are shit. I'm ordering a new one from a third party that won't break.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I have to agree with this. People have been badmouthing Taurus for years, long before that recall. I'd say a good 90% of the badmouthing comes from people who "knows a friend of a friend", and even people who are just repeating what they've heard online. Those greatly overshadow the comparatively few legitimate (first hand) complaints about Taurus and their guns.

10. seeker_two

seeker_two Well-Known

Jul 1, 2008
    I owned a few Taurus pistols in the '90's, and I was a big fan. S&W quality without the higher price was a good thing. But, in the 2000's, their QC took a dive, and I wouldn't take one from that era if you gifted it to me. I'm glad to see Taurus is turning it around. I may have to try one....