• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    2011 gmc 1500.
    Factory battery is dying.

I'm not looking for a super duper gel cell, just a good battery at a good price.
    Which battery do y'all recommend?
    Which to avoid?

I do tend to sit and listen to the radio with the engine off for extended periods, so a "decent" reserve would be a plus.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I get mine from O'Reillys. Good batteries and warranty and I can always remember where I got them if needed.

My cousin has a shop and he got rid of his Interstate battery display. He said too many are giving people issues. They used to be the king of batteries but now apparently are just overpriced for the same battery that everyone else makes.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Funny you should ask, I was recently wondering how old the one in my truck is.

Duralast Gold installed 10/25/07 (I write it on the battery) and hasn't given me a single problem. Since mid '09 it sits unused 98% of the time.

Consumer Reports does auto batteries once a year, that's how I selected.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Replaced the one in my '96 GMC 1500 V6 with an "oversized" one that was on sale at O'Reilly's. It was a house brand battery that I think I paid about 90 or 95 bucks for OTD. First thing I replaced in my 01' Ram when I bought it to pull my RV was the battery. This one is also an "oversized" house brand from Advance with a "lifetime warranty" for about the same C note. No problems at all in over 2 years with high heat and very cold temps.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've been pleased with the Optima batteries. First one I had I found left in the parking lot, dead. Put it on a slow charge and brought it back to life. Used that one for several years until that truck was sold. Next one I got used it for 8 years. Was still starting the truck just fine, but was having issues with the truck, and since it tested "bad" I replaced it. Didn't fix the issue. Had I known, I'd probably still be running that battery today. I'm now on my 3rd Optima. Still running good without any problems. They cost more, but they've proven themselves to me.

The O'Reilly regular batteries are good too. Seem to be better than most other places. When I worked for O'Reilly's, we replaced more of the other brands than we ever replaced ours under warranty.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    My cousin has a shop and he got rid of his Interstate battery display. He said too many are giving people issues. They used to be the king of batteries but now apparently are just overpriced for the same battery that everyone else makes.

I disagree, and have been very happy with the two Interstate batteries we own. Just one man's opinion.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I think the bottom line with batteries is that, since they could fail, and you'd never know by looking at them, you need to buy one from a place that will not hassle you about a return.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX

The shop I worked for had the same problem. Once Interstate started manufacturing in Mexico, the quality has been very hit and miss. Some were fine and others would fail in a few months.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The shop I worked for had the same problem. Once Interstate started manufacturing in Mexico, the quality has been very hit and miss. Some were fine and others would fail in a few months.
    I thought I remembered him saying something about them moving manufacturing.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Why do you say it's the battery?

Charging system is putting out 14+ volts.
    Battery is showing just over 12 volts after sitting all night.
    It starts, but struggles to do so. I've had to jump it twice.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    2011 gmc 1500.
    Factory battery is dying.

I'm not looking for a super duper gel cell, just a good battery at a good price.
    Which battery do y'all recommend?
    Which to avoid?

I do tend to sit and listen to the radio with the engine off for extended periods, so a "decent" reserve would be a plus.
    Wal Mart has some of the best battery values around, I am amazed at their pricing and know a LOT of folks who run them and run them HARD in the off road Jeep world.

I used to run Optima and Sears carried them, then Sears dropped them and the reason why was reliability, they just were not good batteries. At one time they were, then the company was bought and they just could not hold up to hard service. Sears Die Hard line is made by Odyssey, about the best battery out there, especially good for hard service where vibration is a factor.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Another vote for the Duralast from AutoZone

you couldn't give me an Interstate ,they are sorry

Top Bottom