Timing Belts and all that jazz

TheCytochromeC

Sep 12, 2013
DFW
I'm doing my timing belt on my MKV GTI at the moment. I'm replacing all the hardware affiliated with the timing system including the water pump. My motor is an interference motor which means if the timing is slightly off, the valves will contact the pistons. I've never done this before so it's a big learning experience for me. Anyone here do theirs? Ever work on interference timing belts? Thank god you only have to do this around every 100,000 miles.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
Not on that engine, but done plenty of them. No big deal overall. Take your time and make sure the marks line up and the belt is correct direction... belt direction may not matter on your engine, but on my v8 it does otherwise the marks won't line up.

sent from deep space

Check your marks, check them again, and then recheck them. At this stage I usually rotate the crankshaft back and forth several degrees then re-align the marks. Check your marks again. Rotate the crankshaft 1 full cycle by hand and recheck your marks. Remember 1 cycle equals 720*. Then recheck your hardware to insure they are tight. I know it seems like a lot of checking the marks, but if it saves your engine then it is well worth it.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2012
Central Texas
If you've got it that torn apart and working on something that can be catastrophic if done wrong, there's no hurt in taking your time and checking everything.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
Jul 20, 2012
Friendswood
If you haven't torn into it yet, there is a guy in austin that specializes in VW timing belt jobs. That's all he does. Imo, if you've never done it before, that is something wayyyy to critical to just try for the first time.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
That's an easy one, depending a bit on which tensioner it uses. I've probably done hundreds of 'em.

Good idea to upgrade to a metal impeller water pump while you're in there. Make sure you use the VW G12 coolant. And a thermostat couldn't hurt.

TheCytochromeC

Sep 12, 2013
DFW
If you haven't torn into it yet, there is a guy in austin that specializes in VW timing belt jobs. That's all he does. Imo, if you've never done it before, that is something wayyyy to critical to just try for the first time.

Is his name Zach? I'm using his DIY on the VW forums. I considered giving him a call because he was willing to travel for moderate prices. I'm aware of the risk but I want to do this myself correctly. It's something that I'll pride myself in when I'm finished. Check the thread here if you'd care. DIY: 2.0T FSI Timing Belt Replacement for GTI/A3/Jetta - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Sage, mines an 07' 2.0T FSI

I have a metal impeller on the new pump. I also got VW G12 coolant. Also, a good number of the hardware bolts are stretch bolts so they have to be replaced - I have those too. After I replace the timing and hardware I'll go on to the manual valve cleaning process. I'm thinking of using a shotgun bore brush rigged to a drill to speed the process up a bit. I'm sure at too high of an RPM it can be a bad idea but I think it may save some hand aches and clean well without damaging. After that, I'm replacing the ignition coil packs and dropping in a new set of plugs. My injectors have about 16K miles on them so I don't need to replace them yet. Other than that and basic filters I should be ready for another 120K miles.

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
Jul 20, 2012
Friendswood
Is his name Zach? I'm using his DIY on the VW forums. I considered giving him a call because he was willing to travel for moderate prices. I'm aware of the risk but I want to do this myself correctly. It's something that I'll pride myself in when I'm finished. Check the thread here if you'd care to, which you probably won't. DIY: 2.0T FSI Timing Belt Replacement for GTI/A3/Jetta - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Sage, mines an 07' 2.0T FSI

I have a metal impeller on the new pump. I also got VW G12 coolant. Also, a good number of the hardware bolts are stretch bolts so they have to be replaced - I have those too. After I replace the timing and hardware I'll go on to the manual valve cleaning process. I'm thinking of using a shotgun bore brush rigged to a drill to speed the process up a bit. I'm sure at too high of an RPM it can be a bad idea but I think it may save some hand aches and clean well without damaging. After that, I'm replacing the ignition coil packs and dropping in a new set of plugs. My injectors have about 16K miles on them so I don't need to replace them yet. Other than that and basic filters I should be ready for another 120K miles.
Yup that's him.

TheCytochromeC

Sep 12, 2013
DFW
Yup that's him.

Yeah he's a super nice guy for making that thread. At first I thought, "Damn 350$ in just parts, that's going to cut into my gun budget." Then I thought, "Well I'm saving about $1300 in labor for everything I'm doing. So I'm really saving my gun budget!" I hope this isn't misinterpreted to be a statement implying I'm only doing this to save money. I'm not, I'm doing this to become a better "mechanic" and tell the stealerships to shove it because I can take just as good care of my car as them, if not better.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members