• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just for amusement, I tried some of my preferred home defense 5.56 ammo, Hornady's 62 gr. TAP® Barrier™, on a couple hogs. Head shots at 75 yards were absolutely devastating. I was surprised, and pleased, with the damage that ammo inflicted.
    Lol, just about any round you use for a head shot is going to be effective. I have done in big pigs with a .22 short with a head shot.

I am also not one of those guys that says .223 is not enough gun for pigs( I prefer something in a .30 caliber, but I like watching them drop in their tracks) as I have seen it kill plenty of pigs.

I have also spent more hours looking for pigs shot with .223 than with .308.
    Texas SOT

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Lol, just about any round you use for a head shot is going to be effective. I have done in big pigs with a .22 short with a head shot.

Other than killing them in a trap with a .22LR, the smallest round I have used thus far, at distance (70 yds), is .22WMR. DRT with a head shot, as you'd expect. I know that just about any round to the head will be effective, but I was expounding on the massive skull and tissue damage done by that specific 5.56 round.

ETA: I much prefer .308 over 5.56 for hog hunting, in the event that I can't make a head shot.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Other than killing them in a trap with a .22LR, the smallest round I have used thus far, at distance (70 yds), is .22WMR. DRT with a head shot, as you'd expect. I know that just about any round to the head will be effective, but I was expounding on the massive skull and tissue damage done by that specific 5.56 round.

ETA: I much prefer .308 over 5.56 for hog hunting, in the event that I can't make a head shot.

Something pretty satisfying about some 175-180 grain thirty caliber goodness laying out half a sounder at once. Much better odds on pass through shots killing sounder mates as well.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Don't forget hogs have an excellent sense of smell so they may be smelling you and staying away.

All my hogs have been dumb as dirt. I dont use any scent killers and ive been able to get within 25yds or less on both hogs and deer. In fact one of those times i was late to the area and was still setting up when i was taken by surprise as they came rushin out the woods paying me no attention at all.

The only reliable thing that was attracted hogs has been normal corn with no extra attractants. Sometimes ive throw store bought attractants out in areas to see if theyre around and theyll get hit quick but then never again.

Lately, because of being pressured on a nearby neighbors land (70+ hogs taken) i have not seen much action as usual along normal routes. So what ill do is sprinkle a trail so they get curious to sit around long enough to get a shot.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I had a buddy in Mexia that would take deer corn and throw it in a barrel with water. Let it sit for a few days when it starts to ferment, then put it in his hog traps. Worked flawlessly.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    All my hogs have been dumb as dirt. I dont use any scent killers and ive been able to get within 25yds or less on both hogs and deer. In fact one of those times i was late to the area and was still setting up when i was taken by surprise as they came rushin out the woods paying me no attention at all.

The only reliable thing that was attracted hogs has been normal corn with no extra attractants. Sometimes ive throw store bought attractants out in areas to see if theyre around and theyll get hit quick but then never again.

Lately, because of being pressured on a nearby neighbors land (70+ hogs taken) i have not seen much action as usual along normal routes. So what ill do is sprinkle a trail so they get curious to sit around long enough to get a shot.

+1...Plain corn has worked well for us. Of course all our stands are at least 75 yds. away. Haven't tried this yet, but a friend who bow hunts hogs, told me if your going to hunt with in 20-25 yards of a feeder, your stand/platform needs to be a min. of 15ft. above the ground.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    wow, 10yds from the feeder? there's your problem right there. back it up to at least 30yds or get high in a tree stand. if you have skittish hogs, back it up even further, and/or setup a permanent blind.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom