• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I just thought it might be helpful to have a place to post tips and tricks for hunting, fishing, camping and other out door activities. Field and Stream does some thing similar and they have some good ideas come in that section. Here's mine and I got the idea from a field and stream magazine about 2 years ago.
    You take a pair of ear plugs and flatten them out and put them in between your scope and scope mounts and you will always have ear protection in the stand.

The ear plugs are under the scope by the rear base, and of course the Kershaw skinner that is an awesome knife!

big-country-albums-my-pics-picture400-old-faithful.jpg
    Target Sports

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah but if you're siting in a blind built out of tin and ply wood things can get a bit loud. LOL! So I like this just in case you get the time to put them in, they're there. I like to put ear plugs in if I get the chance, I don't think I have ever put them in on a deer 1) because I've never killed a deer with this rifle 2) because I did not have them on my gun and I forgot them. But if I was hunting out of a box blind or something similar, I would make every effort to put them in first.

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Those aren't ear plugs, those are bullets!

Yeah, I've seen people do that too. Never mind the fact you have a couple of LIVE ROUNDS stuck in you ears......what could go wrong? If only they made little thingys you could put in your ears to help with the noise, eh?

I've wanted to wear plugs when hunting with my .30 calibers but I have two problems.........hearing anything before I shoot and hearing anything after I shoot. Generic ear plugs are a little clumsy to fool with just before/after especially if your trying to be still and quiet. I've used ear muffs at times, putting them only about half way over my ears rather than completely, and while they helped they were clumsy to walk around with and try to keep on.

If I had the money, and knew what the heck I was doing, I would create some sort of ear insert that worked like knight vision goggles......accentuating the subtlest sounds around you while muffling the loudest sounds.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If I had the money, and knew what the heck I was doing, I would create some sort of ear insert that worked like knight vision goggles......accentuating the subtlest sounds around you while muffling the loudest sounds.

They allready make those they can be as cheap as $40 and all the way up to $400 BTW they are in muff form.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Walkers game ear. And I only put them on right before the shot and only if I get the chance if I don't get the chance I wont put them in. Anyone use ear protection while dove hunting?

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Anyone use ear protection while dove hunting?

I should, but I never have. Of course, as lousy as my dove hunting was this week, I didn't have need for ear plugs.:banghead:

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    They allready make those they can be as cheap as $40 and all the way up to $400 BTW they are in muff form.

Okay, feel like an idiot now, but can you tell me a name or company making them? I read the mags and web and don't remember catching anything about what I'm talking about.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I learned a new one from Texasbowhunter.com the other day. This is for bow hunters mainly but I'm sure there are other uses. If you dry fire your bow or drop it from a tree stand or have any worries about a cracked limb rub a cotton ball over the limb or limbs in question. If there is a crack in the limb the cotton will snag on the crack leaving the white thread behind and making even a small crack more visible. I keep cotton balls in my hunting pack for first aid and have learned that they work great for an emergency gun cleaning to. This is just one more thing they can be used for in a pinch.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    . Anyone use ear protection while dove hunting?

Don't have a lot of hunting experience, but the few times out I always used hearing protection. We may not hear the bang cause were so excited, but it's still there to tear up your ears. Last pheasant trip I used a set of Surefire EP3 or whateverthey are called. Worked very well. Allowed me to hear people and even the birds flutter but seriously knocked down the level of the shotgun blast. Thy are in the ear and while they made my ears itch they don't interfere with shouldering a long gun. Not sensitive enough to wear on a stalk I don't think, but worked for me. Would love to be able to afford some in-ear electronics, but the price is waaaaaaay too high at this point.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    lets see.
    tips and tricks...
    always be on the lookout fro natural rifle rests. forked branches and such are one of my favs. get the extra support ya need to take that extra long shot with confidence.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I will add one thing. I always keep my 357 magnum with rat shot and 2 magnum rounds on me while hunting. The reason being. I was in my blind one year and there was a coon in my blind. I think its a good idea to have some sort of close range weapon along with the deer rifle.

Top Bottom