• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    I will add one thing. I always keep my 357 magnum with rat shot and 2 magnum rounds on me while hunting. The reason being. I was in my blind one year and there was a coon in my blind. I think its a good idea to have some sort of close range weapon along with the deer rifle.
    ahh i always keep a backup pistol while hunting a few years back while turkey hunting me and the uncle went tracking a dead bird down and got surprised by a 60lb hog and lets just say my unc was ready. we ate some badass hog steaks that night

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Here's one I just recently learned. When hunting from a blind I used to bring one of those rifle rests that flap over each side of the blind window to rest my wooden stocked Savage on. My cousin, who has been hunting a lot longer than I have, recommended using a foam type pipe insulation with a slit to fit over the window sill. Works perfectly, protects your stock, with a larger place to soundlessly rest the rifle and only weighs a fraction of a ounce.
    Other usefull items are a cheap Wal Mart watch that lights up with the touch of a buttom for night hunting hogs from a blind, a hat light, unscented bug spray (I like Cutter best), and a little spray fan to wet down with in hot weather.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Always have an outdoor thermometer and a rock. If the thermometer reads above 90 or below 40, or if the rock is wet, stay home.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    If you are baiting wild hogs with corn and other animals are eating it put diesel in the corn, a couple of cups of diesel to a 5 gallon bucket of corn is usually enough. The smell and taste keeps the animals away but the hogs love it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If you are baiting wild hogs with corn and other animals are eating it put diesel in the corn, a couple of cups of diesel to a 5 gallon bucket of corn is usually enough. The smell and taste keeps the animals away but the hogs love it.
    Now that's a good tip! I had given up on feeders because the cows will come by and eat everything.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    My cousin who owns a west Texas ranch, where we hunt, swears that by just pouring deisel fuel out on the ground hogs love it. They tear up the ground until every drop is gone. I'm not sure if they like the way it tastes or if they just like to waller in it to get rid of bugs. Either way they seem to be attracted to that stuff.

45 Long Colt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Wichita Falls,Texas
    My chihuahua loves when I spill gas on the ground from overfilling my mower he goes nuts over the smell as soon as i get the mower out he begins to follow me.he will waller like crazy over spilled gas.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    My chihuahua loves when I spill gas on the ground from overfilling my mower he goes nuts over the smell as soon as i get the mower out he begins to follow me.he will waller like crazy over spilled gas.

Thank's Long Colt. I usually just follow the sound of obnoxious barking when hunting Chihuahuas. Maybe I'll try your gas trick next time.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Hogs are different from property to property that I have been on.. Out in Llano we walk up to them at about 15 yards and ear pistol shoot them.. Down by pettus they know we are coming form a mile away and you have to hunt them like deer to stand a chance.. One thing my buddies and I did find is they really like Grape Jelly or grape Jello... When we spread that stuff out they seem to come running! They like most any kind of food but we have found things with incredible high sugar content like "grape drink" type gallons of stuff from a country store really seem to bring them in..

If you are hunting with a large caliber with appropriate bullets... Be patient let them line up and you can get two sometimes three in one shot!

When varmint hunting use the red filter that comes on your spot light.. It does not scare the game off also very important if you spot something in a tree, bush, ground w/e keep the spot light directly on their eyes.. If you pull it off they can see you and will take off. Keeping it on them keeps them guessing and gives you more time to get closer or get your gun up.

JCM.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    One thing I always keep with me when camping and also with my truck is a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. It works as an outstanding lubricant for things such as sliding a rubber hose onto a flange in an engine repair. Objects will slide slick as snot, and as soon as the alcohol dries they hold fast as usual. It makes for a quick, clean, temporary lubricant.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Hogs are different from property to property that I have been on.. Out in Llano we walk up to them at about 15 yards and ear pistol shoot them.. Down by pettus they know we are coming form a mile away and you have to hunt them like deer to stand a chance.. One thing my buddies and I did find is they really like Grape Jelly or grape Jello... When we spread that stuff out they seem to come running! They like most any kind of food but we have found things with incredible high sugar content like "grape drink" type gallons of stuff from a country store really seem to bring them in..

If you are hunting with a large caliber with appropriate bullets... Be patient let them line up and you can get two sometimes three in one shot!

When varmint hunting use the red filter that comes on your spot light.. It does not scare the game off also very important if you spot something in a tree, bush, ground w/e keep the spot light directly on their eyes.. If you pull it off they can see you and will take off. Keeping it on them keeps them guessing and gives you more time to get closer or get your gun up.

JCM.

ohh man pettus. i used to live in mineral right outside of there. there is a little country store there, by chance the one with the grape drink?
    ;)

Top Bottom