• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Obviously a moot question at this point, just wanted to remind others that a "new" tire at a shop can actually be many years old. I've seen motorcycle tires on a rack that were actually manufactured 10 years previously!

That's a fatality waiting to happen.

He's right: check the date code before you drive off. If you can, check the date code before you buy.
    Hurley's Gold

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's a fatality waiting to happen.

He's right: check the date code before you drive off. If you can, check the date code before you buy.

Yeppirs. That particular m/c tire shop is no longer in business - didn't take long for the word to spread. Turns out they were knowingly buying old tires to get 'em cheap, and back then, most folks didn't know how to read the code, much less that there was one!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Country, glad your incident was not worse. I had a BFG KM2 with About 25k on it delaminate at 70mph last week. Threw my F250 into the concrete retaining wall. The tire tread tore my left quarter panel up bad, and the front right side of the truck is crushed in. Frame is bent too. No injuries, thankfully.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dang... nice thread. I definitely have some tires I need to throw out. I typically just drive them till they wear out or fall apart, even if that takes several years. No mountain passes around here to fall off of, so the danger is low

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    My rear sumitomos (315/35/17) last long, but my front tires (general or federal, can't remember, 245/45/17) don't last long at all. always wear out on the edges, despite an alignment or tire pressure. My car is lowered and has caster/camber plates installed

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My rear sumitomos (315/35/17) last long, but my front tires (general or federal, can't remember, 245/45/17) don't last long at all. always wear out on the edges, despite an alignment or tire pressure. My car is lowered and has caster/camber plates installed

Lowering is moronic, and destroys more suspension geometry than just toe, camber and caster. The worst casualty is the roll center. You lower the center of gravity exactly as much as you lower the ride height, but the roll center (the point that the suspension is trying to roll the vehicle around) can move several feet, which leads to some fucked up handling tendencies.

That being said, so does (generally) staggered tires (especially on a car not specifically set up for them).

But the main root of your problem is simply the Mustang front suspension. They're well known for eating front tires.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Maximum motorsports makes some good mustang suspension stuff though. A 3 link setup with their torque arm, rear LCA's, and panhard bar does wonders for corner carving.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Lowering is moronic, and destroys more suspension geometry than just toe, camber and caster. The worst casualty is the roll center. You lower the center of gravity exactly as much as you lower the ride height, but the roll center (the point that the suspension is trying to roll the vehicle around) can move several feet, which leads to some fucked up handling tendencies.

That being said, so does (generally) staggered tires (especially on a car not specifically set up for them).

But the main root of your problem is simply the Mustang front suspension. They're well known for eating front tires.

The Cobra has three crates full of suspension parts on it... but then again I've only driven it about 30,000 since May of 1999 when I bought it... not to worry the tires are from January or February...

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Lowering is moronic

ACK!

I agree in some cases but...

My truck is lowered about 6 inches (using the proper parts - spindles, shocks, all four springs, hangers, shackles, etc.) and it handles better than it ever did stock... plus it doesn't eat tires! Lowering can cause tons of problems unless it is done correctly.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It depends on the car. Some cars respond really well to it. Others the original design was lower to begin with but the lawyers screwed it up. One example of that is some older European cars that when imported were raised to meet US bumper and headlight requirements. Lowering those just brings them back into spec

Generally you are correct... Most people just lower for the "look". Welding on new brackets for the control arms fixes those issues, tho.

Top Bottom