Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    Toomey And Manchin Reach Deal On Background Checks –
    Update: NRA Opposes Deal

manchin_toomey_420.jpg

Via The Hill:
    Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) and Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) have reached a deal to expand background checks for gun purchases, according to a source briefed on the agreement.
    The two lawmakers have scheduled a joint press conference for 11 a.m. Wednesday to discuss their latest progress.
    Gun-control groups briefed on the main points of the emerging deal endorsed it.
    “The deal as I understand it is a good deal. It is significantly less than true universal background checks but would make it harder for criminals to exploit the easiest avenues for obtaining illegal guns,” said a gun-control advocate briefed on the deal. “If I go online or to a gun show or to a classified ad to buy a gun, I have to undergo a background check and a record will be kept.
    “It won’t cover every transaction but it will make it much harder for straw purchasers to buy guns in bulk and sell them,” said the source.
    Update: Could not agree more with the NRA’s statement on this.
    Via NRA:
    Expanding background checks at gun shows will not prevent the next shooting, will not solve violent crime and will not keep our kids safe in schools. While the overwhelming rejection of President Obama and Mayor Bloomberg’s “universal” background check agenda is a positive development, we have a broken mental health system that is not going to be fixed with more background checks at gun shows. The sad truth is that no background check would have prevented the tragedies in Newtown, Aurora or Tucson. We need a serious and meaningful solution that addresses crime in cities like Chicago, addresses mental health deficiencies, while at the same time protecting the rights of those of us who are not a danger to anyone. President Obama should be as committed to dealing with the gang problem that is tormenting honest people in his hometown as he is to blaming law-abiding gun owners for the acts of psychopathic murderers.

DK Firearms

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    The NRA's statement is clear, concise, and addressed the issue at hand perfectly. However, I suspect the left won't understand any of it, and will continue their attacks on the 2nd Amendment.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Sent an email to Mr Toomey and reminded him that contributions to his next opponent in the primaries does not have to come from his state only. That we would gladly send money to get someone who actually believes in and respects the Constitution elected over him.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Holmes bought his guns from a FFL who ran the NICS check and the FBI said go ahead and sell him the guns. Cho and Loughner also passed the check at a FFL. Lanza stole his weapons from someone else who passed the checks. Harris and Klebold had an accomplice pass the checks and straw purchase for them. So how in the flaming blue **** would this law have made a goddamn difference ??!?!

The NRA is absolutely correct and they need to start railing on the local LE who were informed that Lanza, Cho, Holmes, Loughner, and the Columbine shooters were dangerous and did nothing. That's where the blame belongs, not gun shops/manufacturers/shows and owners hundreds or thousands of miles away from the crime scenes.

Last edited:

ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    This "go along to get along" crap that current republicans do, is why so many of them need to be removed. These dumbasses are giving away our higher moral ground one inch at a time. The people of this country need someone to defend our rights and the constitution, not to just get along with democraps.

And it didn't take a long time for nanny-Bloomberg to back this bill.
    If he backs it that's all we need to know.

Bloomberg signs off on Manchin-Toomey gun compromise

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Gonna drop my input here:

The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act | Pat Toomey | Senator for Pennsylvania

Bottom Line: The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act would require states and the federal government to send all necessary records on criminals and the violently mentally ill to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The bill extends the existing background check system to gun shows and online sales. (Implies 4473s are not currently done. This is incorrect. 4473s, background checks are done at gun shows and for internet sales) The bill explicitly bans the federal government from creating a national firearms registry, and imposes serious criminal penalties (a felony with up to 15 years in prison) on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records.

TITLE ONE: GETTING ALL THE NAMES OF PROHIBITED PURCHASERS INTO THE BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM
    Summary of Title I: This section improves background checks for firearms by strengthening the instant check system.

- Encourage states to provide all their available records to NICS by restricting federal funds to states who do not comply.
    - Allow dealers to voluntarily use the NICS database to run background checks on their prospective employees. - Clarifies that submissions of mental health records into the NICS system are not prohibited by federal privacy laws (HIPAA).
    - Provides a legal process for a veteran to contest his/her placement in NICS when there is no basis for barring the right to own a firearm.

TITLE TWO: REQUIRING BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR FIREARM SALES
    Summary of Title II: This section of the bill requires background checks for sales at gun shows and online while securing certain aspects of 2nd Amendment rights for law abiding citizens.

- Closes the gun show and other loopholes while exempting temporary transfers and transfers between family members. There is no "gun show loophole". Vendors selling firearms for profit must have an FFL license. Therefore sales must have a 4473.
    - Fixes interstate travel laws for sportsmen who transport their firearms across state lines in a responsible manner. The term "transport" includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, buying fuel, vehicle maintenance, and medical treatment. Already done under FOPA
    - Protects sellers from lawsuits if the weapon cleared through the expanded background checks and is subsequently used in a crime. This is the same treatment gun dealers receive now.
    - Allows dealers to complete transactions at gun shows that take place in a state for which they are not a resident. Already covered by state laws
    - Requires that if a background check at a gun show does not result in a definitive response from NICS within 48 hours, the sale may proceed. After four years, when the NICS improvements are completed, the background check would clear in 24 hours. Current law is three business days.
    - Requires the FBI to give priority to finalizing background checks at gun shows over checks at store front dealerships.
    - Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. Already in use; state CHL programs set this up with the Feds
    - Permits interstate handgun sales from dealers. Interstate sales already permitted via online, dealer/store ordered or in person (by state laws)
    - Allows active military to buy firearms in their home states.
    - Family transfers and some private sales (friends, neighbors, other individuals) are exempt from background checks Already in use and covered by state laws

TITLE THREE: NATIONAL COMMISSION ON MASS VIOLENCE

Summary of Title III: : This section of the bill creates a commission to study the causes of mass violence in the United States, looking at all aspects of the problem, including guns, school safety, mental health, and violent media or video games.

The Commission would consist of six experts appointed by the Senate Majority Leader and six experts appointed by the Speaker of the House. They would be required to submit an interim report in three months and a completed report in six months. Not more commissions. Waste of money and they are worthless

WHAT THE BILL WILL NOT DO

The bill will not take away anyone's guns.

The bill will not ban any type of firearm.
    The bill will not ban or restrict the use of any kind of bullet or any size clip or magazine.
    The bill will not create a national registry; in fact, it specifically makes it illegal to establish any such registry.
    The bill will not, in any way at all, infringe upon the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    From the PR side I see happening IF Toomey changes his mind in this "deal" is how can he answer "Why are you against ensuring gun purchasers are, in fact, legally able to purchase the gun?"

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How is it a "deal" if we don't gain anything? It's really just them stealing less of our right then they sought out for.

Exactly. It would establish federal regulation of certain things that were not previously regulated at a federal level. It would also regulate areas of private trade at a federal level, that it did not regulate previously.

Take our classifieds, for example. I have gun, you want gun, we meet, because I'm a good person I will have already been trying to get a read on you beforehand and will be doing so when we meet. Unless I get a bad vibe or am given some reason that leads me to believe I might not want to sell you my gun, you give me money, I give you gun, done deal. That's free trade, and that's a seller acting in what I would consider to be a responsible manner of their own volition. Under this new law, there would now be a federally mandated paperwork process, government agency, and approval process that will dictate what, where, how, and when you may or may not be allowed to conduct "free trade" for those items. In essence, it will be eliminating your right to engage in free trade with your own constitutionally protected property. These are not simple goods either, like those that may be considered a luxury or privilege. These are goods that are protected by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, with great historical precedence, as one of the most basic human rights of possession.

Remember the very simple truth that the 10th amendment flat out states that, the federal government's power is solely relegated to that which is specified in the Constitution. If it's not listed, they do not have the right to do it, and anything not enumerated (mentioned) is the states' and OUR rights alone. NOT THEIRS.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Holmes bought his guns from a FFL who ran the NICS check and the FBI said go ahead and sell him the guns. Cho and Loughner also passed the check at a FFL. Lanza stole his weapons from someone else who passed the checks. Harris and Klebold had an accomplice pass the checks and straw purchase for them. So how in the flaming blue **** would this law have made a goddamn difference ??!?!

The NRA is absolutely correct and they need to start railing on the local LE who were informed that Lanza, Cho, Holmes, Loughner, and the Columbine shooters were dangerous and did nothing. That's where the blame belongs, not gun shops/manufacturers/shows and owners hundreds or thousands of miles away from the crime scenes.

LE? What laws would allow the local police to do something, and what, specifically, would you have had them do?

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So they peeled off one republican, does toomey represent a group of republicans?

I just don't see why this is news, a bi-partisan agreement or anything?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's propaganda. They figure if they say there is "bipartisan agreement" there will be less public resistance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I read in Shorts posting, I don't see where this changes anything.

It is a bill to create UBCs and creates a commission that will waste tax dollars and have an anti gun agenda from the outset.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    What I read was "Family transfers and some private sales (friends, neighbors, other individuals) are exempt from background checks"

Would this not include us?
    Depends,

Did you post it on the internet? Because it seems logical that it would be considered an internet sale if you did. It will be all about how they define internet sale

Top Bottom