• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    What was it that the guy on the Magpul DVDs said something like "professionals don't train till the get it right they train till they get it wrong" this guy got it very wrong he must be a reconrangerseal top operator with uber duber top flight security clearance.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    SERPAs have a button you push with your index finger around where the trigger of the pistol would be if it was out of the holster. He was most definitely still pressing in after the retention system was broken and when his finger cleared the holster it curled into the trigger guard and pressed the trigger.

A lot of high end instructors either strongly suggest against or outright ban SERPAs from their classes because of this. Tex probably isn't the first person who had an ND while drawing from this type of holster. Probably won't be the last either.

No, that's not how the SERPA works. There's a paddle right over the spot on your frame where you put your finger once the pistol is out. The release mechanism is stupid simple and won't break and would be hard to jam. It will "stick" a bit if you try yanking the pistol out of the holster before you press the paddle. It releases very easily and cleanly if you press down on the pistol slightly before you try to draw. Do it right, you don't have to actually press the release paddle, you just lay your finger on it and draw.

If someone is jamming down on that button because they have their rhythm wrong and didn't push down before trying to draw, it's a training issue, 100%. I've had SERPA holsters for several years, and they're pretty much all I use for my Sigs (I also have a Fobus paddle that tucks a lot flatter). Never, in all my hours of practice have I found my finger going into the trigger guard.

This guy made mistakes. He used a holster that he wasn't practiced up on and tried to rush himself. This is how you shoot yourself when you're drawing, no matter what kind of holster you're using.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What's funny is all the times I've drawn and shot against a timer (I'm sure a lot of people have done it more than me), trying to hurry has never gained me any time (and I'm talking dry practice, loaded shooting and even transitions from a rifle; all to a timer). A slow-feeling draw stroke that runs exactly the way I practiced has always been at least as fast and usually faster.

And always safer IMO.

Slow down, practice it smooth. Practice it perfect. Practice it a lot. Speed will come from that. Not from rushing like this guy did.

In all seriousness, you know how I can tell he hasn't practiced enough? He didn't stop when he noticed there was a hitch in his stroke! I've been there (on dry practice - that's what dry practice is for!!!), and when I notice that I'm rushing and the pistol doesn't want to leave the holster, I stop, give myself a mental kick in the ass for being an idiot and start over... at a much slower speed.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I keep beating into people's heads that you have to take safety more seriously than anything else. Everyone pays it lip service, everyone recites the "4 rules" if they can even remember them, but few people I have personally seen have really intuitively thought about it or payed attention to it. It's all fun and games until your wearing your buddy's cranial spaghetti.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I keep beating into people's heads that you have to take safety more seriously than anything else. Everyone pays it lip service, everyone recites the "4 rules" if they can even remember them, but few people I have personally seen have really intuitively thought about it or payed attention to it. It's all fun and games until your wearing your buddy's cranial spaghetti.

Exactly.

It's training. Slow down and make sure you have it perfect before you try it with a loaded gun.

People forget it's all about basics.

Top Bottom