• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I'm in North East Parker County (Springtown) and with all this rain I'm getting washed out! My driveway is in dire need of repair (re-graded and my drainage swale where I come in from road is about washed away) and I have to dig a lot of dirt away from the house and build a new retaining wall and make drainage swale lines in a few different spots. The clay soil makes it almost impossible by hand. I am thinking I'll need a tractor w/ front loader and backhoe. Anyone know anything about tractors? What's the cheapest I can buy a reliable light duty one? Is there a place I can rent cheaply? Does anyone know someone not using one they've got? It's days worth of work and just reaching out to see if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction. All help is appreciated. Funds are tight with a new side business and my full time job ending soon so that's my issue. I don't even know costs since I have never owned anything past a half ton truck.

Thanks!
    Military Camp

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Rent a skid steer (bobcat or such).
    Do the work away from the house first as you get familiar with the controls.
    One wrong move and you can knock a wall down.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Tagged as I'm shopping for a similar setup. A place in SC had a Kubota package - 28hp 4WD w/ loader, backhoe, box blade and mower on a trailer for ~21k but they wanted $2/mile to deliver it.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you can rent a track skid steer for about $200-250 around here for the weekend.
    that includes a trailer. You just have to have a 3/4 ton truck to pull it with.

you can get a lot of work done in 8-10 hours

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    ^ This.

Like boats, babies and wives, it's often cheaper to borrow a tractor than to actually own one.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I have contacted a few places locally and they are asking $200ish/day and I have a half ton p/u that can tow up to 6 tons, max, so I don't know of that'll be enough. I figure I have about 10 days worth of work (working machine about 3 to 5 hours a day... weather permitting!) and at that rate I'm at $2 grand already. I am also thinking about long term and with 5 acres, I'm sure I'll be using it for something else along the way. What's the benefit between a skid and a tractor?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Buying is the best long term plan but it doesn't sound like that is realistic at this point, or necessary.

Most rental companies will rent a Bobcat affordably, but they may be a little hard to find right now.

You may be able to work some kind of trade with someone that has one too, either to use or have them do the work. Save on some cash anyways. Probably check CraigsList for something like that, or your local paper.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have contacted a few places locally and they are asking $200ish/day and I have a half ton p/u that can tow up to 6 tons, max, so I don't know of that'll be enough. I figure I have about 10 days worth of work (working machine about 3 to 5 hours a day... weather permitting!) and at that rate I'm at $2 grand already. I am also thinking about long term and with 5 acres, I'm sure I'll be using it for something else along the way. What's the benefit between a skid and a tractor?
    Generally, a Bobcat is better at strictly dirt work, a tractor is for farm type use. I find a tractor generally more handy to have though.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    If you get a skid steer, you can sell the tractor since it wont leave the barn. Skid steer has tons more power than a small tractor, but they cost a lot more. The skid steer attachments cost a lot more as well. That being said, a small tractor cant even life my skid steer grapple bucket. You get what you pay for...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 265

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Green Acres in Weatherford might meet your needs.
    Typically rental places work 4 days rent for the week.

A loader is very handy. A backhoe is pretty specialized. How often does one need to dig a big hole?
    Most opt for a loader and 3 pt hitch out back.

That's a very versatile piece of equipment.

Locally (Granbury) Big Red's offers pretty good deals on packages.
    Bad Boy, Hustler, Cub Cadet & Gravely Mowers Texas | New & Used Lawn Mower, Utility Vehicles, Tractors, Power Equipment| Granbury, Dallas, Ft Worth TX

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

front loaders on tractors are mostly designed to just move some dirt o gravel from one point to another.
    They are not built to dig holes or ram into material piles like a skid steer or wheel loader is.
    for instance, you can take a good sized cedar tree out of the ground with a mid sized skid steer, you just are more limited trying to do that with a tractor bucket

A skid steer with tracks and not wheels work better in soft ground and won't tear the land up as bad either.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I think I can use a box blade to do the driveway, but don't see how that would work with the skid, plus, Dang, they expensive! I figured they'd be cheaper being smaller, but I guess they're more powerful engines or something?

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    On a skid steer, you "float" the bucket while driving in reverse. It allows it to work like a box blade.

My skid steer is 75HP, and it weighs around 8500 pounds. They are small, but they are powerful! I don't cut down trees, I push them over. They are expensive, but they are worth it. You will never say "I wish this thing had less power" I was in the same boat you are in years ago. Based on the size of your property, a small tractor is more practical. With the roads I put in and the land I cleared, my Bobcat already paid for itself.

If you are only going to use a piece of equipment once, rent it. If you have a continuing need, buy it. If you own land, you are going to either spend the money on rent or on the equipment. One thing I can guarantee is you will spend the same amount regardless of the route you take.

Look at getting a 3/4 ton truck, and a 20 foot 14,000 pound flat bed trailer. Trust me, you will fill it at some point in time.

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I think a skid would be great, but way out of my price range to justify it. I'll have to swing into Weatherford and see what they have to offer.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Subscribed. About to be faced with this exact decision.

As it stands, I'm considering something in the 35-40ish HP range, either John Deere or Kubota. Been seeing packages on-line in the mid $20K's. How much more is a Bobcat?

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Used good bobcats a year old or so run in the 38-43k range depending on the model. Bobcat of Houston ( talk to Jason out of the Conroe store) has contracts with many cities who get new machines every year. They sell the one year old models as used machines and both myself and a friend bought these machines. Mine had 399 hours, and my buddy got one shipped down from Missouri that had only 250 hours on it. His still had the new bobcat smell. Skid Steer Attachments of Texas in Austin has the absolute best prices on attachments. If you opt for a machine with standard controls, open cab etc, you can save at least 10 grand. My time is limited, and I didnt want weather keeping me from working, so I got a machine with a pressurized cab and AC. I could mow a field in 100 degree heat all day and look like I never left the house. Its freaking awesome!

Small tractors have their place and cost less per hour to operate. Tractor attachments cost less as well. That being said, the bobcat is the one tool that does just about everything better. The downside is the attachment cost. Virtually everything you can stick on a Bobcat costs a grand or more. A good tooth bucket costs around 750 or so. Renting attachments is pretty cheap, and a good way to go. The reason bobcat attachments cost so much is because they have to be able to take 5000 pounds of pushing force.

Using two common attachments as an example, here is the benefit of a Bobcat.
    An auger on the back of a small tractor only has the weight of the auger and hitch force to push it into the ground. My buddy who bought his bobcat told me stories where he had to jump up and down on the auger trying to get the bit to start drilling. With the bobcat you have thousands of pounds of down force to start the bit. Worst case you can block the back end of the machine so you get the total weight of the bobcat on the bit. Thats 8000+ pounds of downforce.

If all you need to mow is grass and fields that have been cleared, get a tractor with a brush mower. It you need to clear areas that havent been mowed in 10 years, and its too thick to get a tractor in the place, get the Bobcat. I am clearing ground that tractors cant get in thanks to the hydraulic mower. It weighs 2100 pounds and has 4 blades than can cut down 7inch trees. The downside is this mower attachment alone costs around 9 grand.

Whatever you get, get something 3x bigger than what you will think you need.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I cursed Kubota for years, then my dad got one.

They are GREAT tractors. Get 4wd and a loader or you will regret it later.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Used good bobcats a year old or so run in the 38-43k range depending on the model. Bobcat of Houston ( talk to Jason out of the Conroe store) has contracts with many cities who get new machines every year. They sell the one year old models as used machines and both myself and a friend bought these machines. Mine had 399 hours, and my buddy got one shipped down from Missouri that had only 250 hours on it. His still had the new bobcat smell. Skid Steer Attachments of Texas in Austin has the absolute best prices on attachments. If you opt for a machine with standard controls, open cab etc, you can save at least 10 grand. My time is limited, and I didnt want weather keeping me from working, so I got a machine with a pressurized cab and AC. I could mow a field in 100 degree heat all day and look like I never left the house. Its freaking awesome!

Small tractors have their place and cost less per hour to operate. Tractor attachments cost less as well. That being said, the bobcat is the one tool that does just about everything better. The downside is the attachment cost. Virtually everything you can stick on a Bobcat costs a grand or more. A good tooth bucket costs around 750 or so. Renting attachments is pretty cheap, and a good way to go. The reason bobcat attachments cost so much is because they have to be able to take 5000 pounds of pushing force.

Using two common attachments as an example, here is the benefit of a Bobcat.
    An auger on the back of a small tractor only has the weight of the auger and hitch force to push it into the ground. My buddy who bought his bobcat told me stories where he had to jump up and down on the auger trying to get the bit to start drilling. With the bobcat you have thousands of pounds of down force to start the bit. Worst case you can block the back end of the machine so you get the total weight of the bobcat on the bit. Thats 8000+ pounds of downforce.

If all you need to mow is grass and fields that have been cleared, get a tractor with a brush mower. It you need to clear areas that havent been mowed in 10 years, and its too thick to get a tractor in the place, get the Bobcat. I am clearing ground that tractors cant get in thanks to the hydraulic mower. It weighs 2100 pounds and has 4 blades than can cut down 7inch trees. The downside is this mower attachment alone costs around 9 grand.

Whatever you get, get something 3x bigger than what you will think you need.
    While I understand your love of the Bobcat, a tractor can compete for the average land owner very easily.

A BelTec (sp?) auger for a tractor is made to drill through rock. They do run $5k or so though. They tie under the frame of the tractor and have tons of down force. Yes, a regular auger is almost worthless around rocky Texas but they are cheap.

As far as mowing brush goes, I would run my tractor backwards with my $1000 brush hog and clear out anything I wanted. It can be done.

Bobcats are very nice. But the $50k+ you have invested will buy a whole lot of tractor. Bobcats are just too expensive for most people to justify unless commercial use is needed. They can't be beat there.

Top Bottom