• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've used the Beltecs and they are extremely efficient at what they are made to do.

The one I used was designed to attach to the 3 point though. It would lift the tractor off the ground easily and when cracking rock you could see the ground lifting several feet from the hole when grabbing chucks of limestone. It will also run through a water main like butter :what:

By design, the heavier the tractor is the better it will work. The cheap augers have a tough time even in clay IME. Making some custom teeth with help, but they wear fast and will need to be replaced.
    ARJ Defense ad

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Back into youpon bushes and let me know how things go. I just cleared an area with 15 foot tall rose bushes and a 15 foot forest of salt cedar. The last commercial brush cutter that came with a tractor ended up puncturing his fuel tank trying to drive over the brush. Yes they are more expensive, but I know of a few ranchers that have tractors gathering dust in barns after they bought a Bobcat. If you dont own one, you dont know what you dont know.

Here I am making a road through brush your tractor cant drive through

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    G20, many of us have used skid steers. You always seem to get very defensive when the topic comes up for some reason.

We know how skid steers work, many of us have used them quite a bit, and many of us have plenty of experience with tractors.

I am curious what kind of tractor it was that had its tank punctured. Seems like a weak tank to me and a bad design to me. Plastic?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We used to have a couple combines, a big Case center pivot, and 2 or 3 JD 4440s. Those tractors will kick the crap out of a skid steer.

But most people don't need those just like they don't need a skid steer. Not digging at skid steers, it's just that they're not a good fit for most people with a strict budget and infrequent needs.

It's a matter of price and what you need. I'm sure a $5k rifle would kill the hell out of deer every time (and be throughly enjoyable) but so will an old 30-30 if I do my part. Depends how much you hunt, budget, etc.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I don't mean to get defensive. Every situation and piece of land is different, as well as individual need. I am not sure of the tractor, but it is used for the guys 15 foot bat wing.

That being said, I have been down this road. I took over a piece of land that has been in the family and it was bare land. No roads, very little (if any) management, and mostly left to the will of mother nature. It has been a learning experience, and I have spent enough money on equipment and infrastructure that I could have paid off my house. With that in mind, there is nothing more enjoyable than owning land, and having a place to do whatever you want.

For about two years I contemplated the tractor vs skid steer. I always came back to the same conclusion that a Skid Steer is the only tool that would work for me in the long run. I could only afford to buy one thing so I had to get it right the first time. Most people new to land or used to doing things the way they always have, usually don't consider a skid steer due to cost etc. For a first time buyer, looking for a buy once, cry once, do everything machine they should really consider a Skid Steer. The cost alone of installing my driveway paid for my machine.

Just like you cant have enough ammo, you cant have enough capability in ranch equipment, because regardless of what you buy, you WILL find its limits and wish you had more.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Some good arguments being made for both sides.

It really depends on the OP's needs.
    If you need to clear land and move dirt and rock, you can't beat a skidsteer.
    If you need to maintain and groom, you cant beat a tractor.

I still believe the OP needs to rent at this time.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Absolutely, on all counts.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin

^^ that pretty much sums it up. I wish there was a tool that did both equally well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Back into youpon bushes and let me know how things go. I just cleared an area with 15 foot tall rose bushes and a 15 foot forest of salt cedar. The last commercial brush cutter that came with a tractor ended up puncturing his fuel tank trying to drive over the brush. Yes they are more expensive, but I know of a few ranchers that have tractors gathering dust in barns after they bought a Bobcat. If you dont own one, you dont know what you dont know.

Here I am making a road through brush your tractor cant drive through

I have spent plenty of time in Bobcat seats. I know what they can and can't do. They are very capable machines. My dad's had a regular bucket, grappling bucket, trencher, backhoe, and auger. Ten machines in one and very handy.

My family up north all have one. They are indispensable on their farms, without a doubt. But if they have to work the land or pull a trailer, the tractor is the machine they jump on.

I am not arguing against the merits of a Bobcat at all. But a small farm tractor will serve 95% of what the average land owner needs at 1/3 the cost.

Renting a Bobcat will serve the OP's needs. But if he wants to buy, I recommend a tractor.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Thanks everyone. While I would love a skid, I just couldn't afford one. My dilemma now is to rent a skid or a FL tractor. It's very swampy, I sink standing about 6 inches, clay water saturated, never gonna dry out with this rain, sludge. I fear a skid would be too compact weight wise and would get stuck, thinking a reactor, lol auto correct, tractor, wouldn't as easily due to weight distribution and larger tires. Thoughts?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You have to wait for it to dry out regardless. All you will do now is make a bigger mess.

True. Sounds like drainage is needed pretty badly though. Thus the equipment dilemma.

OP,
    Find your best route for drainage and get it open.
    Track mounted mini excavator is the quick and dirty.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    True. Sounds like drainage is needed pretty badly though. Thus the equipment dilemma.

OP,
    Find your best route for drainage and get it open.
    Track mounted mini excavator is the quick and dirty.
    Yep, it's a, I need it it kinda soon might not be able to wait until it dries out kinda thing.
    Call before you dig.
    Already manually dug the utilities (power and water) and found the sprinkler lines (the hard way... With a pickaxe :eek: )

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks everyone. While I would love a skid, I just couldn't afford one. My dilemma now is to rent a skid or a FL tractor. It's very swampy, I sink standing about 6 inches, clay water saturated, never gonna dry out with this rain, sludge. I fear a skid would be too compact weight wise and would get stuck, thinking a reactor, lol auto correct, tractor, wouldn't as easily due to weight distribution and larger tires. Thoughts?
    Governors20 is correct, it is going to get worse. Waiting would be best if an option. Even using a shovel just to get the water to run off a little will make a big difference.

But if you must, you will get the most done with a Bobcat/ skid steer. They do pretty well in the mud and are pretty agile. Tracks would be better but may not be an option.

If the mud is bottomless then nothing is going to do well.

Mini excavators are great but have a huge learning curve if you have never operated one.

A small pump can move a ton of water if that would help tide you over for the time being.

Top Bottom