• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Also might consider the ease of getting spare parts and service when choosing a tractor. You don't want to have to drive by another brand/dealer to get your tractor serviced.

I would look to see what dealers are in the area. I have New Holland, John Deere and Kubota in the Decatur area so I would get one of those brands because when it breaks or you need a special fuel or hydraulic filter, I don't want to drive a hundred miles or wait for some internet order to get delivered. You would need to ask around or drive around to see the dealers in YOUR area.

Even if it is a 20 year old USED tractor the dealer will be able to get parts faster most times.

A 25 to 40 HP Diesel tractor that is 10 or 20 years old should be cheap enough, maybe $4000 to $8000????

PS GET A DIESEL!!!!!!!! I have neighbors that have gasoline tractors and every spring (or if they let it sit for a few months) I have to go over to their property and f#(k with the carb because it WON'T START!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diesel fuel rarely 'goes-off' and you can get 'farm-diesel' for cheaper if you know how.

bob

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am going to look into financing. I've been giving a lot of thought towards this and I think having something on the property full time will be very useful. Skid is out of the question to buy since its wayyy out of my price range. I'm going to look into financing a tractor. Any particular brand or model tractor anyone recommends? Kubota? Ford? Red? I'm looking for something that can grade a driveway twice a year, assist with drainage swale, tow some trees that I've felled, a trailer, level ground, move stuff (like a motorized wheel barrow), and random light to medium duty tasks. The biggest thing will it'll have to be able to dig a little and move some dirt around.
    I had very good luck with the Mahindra I had. I would buy one again, the only thing I would do different is go bigger and get a cab. It was 4x4 and had a front loader.

At the time it had more power and was cheaper than the other bigger names. That may have changed by now but it was a good tractor.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I haven't seen any bad advice in this thread.
    I wouldn't go less than 30 hp. Anything smaller feels like a big mower.
    Diesel is a good bet.
    I get bobcat parts online quick enough and about 1/2 or less than dealer parts local.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Kind of late replying...there is a tractor rental place that also rents skid steers past also al,out into lake worth...on 199. Northwest rentals I believe. Check craigslist for those advertising tractor work.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    30hp diesel (because I take Bob's word on that) is the minimum I'm looking at. I'd prefer 35 but I think I'm getting too big for my property at that point. Probably heading out to look at a few different dealerships this weekend. Northwest is right down 199 and I'll swing by.

TeXJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Princeton, TX
    30hp diesel (because I take Bob's word on that) is the minimum I'm looking at. I'd prefer 35 but I think I'm getting too big for my property at that point. Probably heading out to look at a few different dealerships this weekend. Northwest is right down 199 and I'll swing by.

Like I mentioned we had a 35hp new holland and only a few times did we lack the torque to pull while moving huge piles of dirt with the box blade. I want to say that the 40hp tractor stepped up in size and we wanted to have the ability to use a smaller trailer, although we went and got a 25ft goose neck

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    So I think I'm ending up with a Kioti CK30. It a 30 horse (25 at PTO) and am able to get it with front loader, box blade, and a very nice trailer for under $19.4 g's (although it'll be financed). It's a Tier 3 engine so I don't have to deal with all the EPA bullshit. I just wish they put the clutch out a little further from the seat on any of these things. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to rig the clutch further back without compromising safety or functionality.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    My old 1971 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel with a front end loader gets more use than I ever thought it would---I use the front end loader for all sorts of things. If I can use the front end loader to save any manual labor I find a way to use it. I bought it used in 1992 and has been a workhorse.

Thought about selling it a couple of times, but changed my mind after needing the front loader for something.

We just moved from the hill country to east Texas (Lindale) and it is currently at one of my sons houses in Gilmer and he is getting really use to having it around.

You will get a lot of use from a front loader.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I Managed to clear some of the thickest brush on my property this weekend. This was so bad I should have used a small dozer, but I didnt have one so....

I Started off with the tooth bucket pushing trees over, and taking out Youpon bushes at the root. When I got a bunch piled up, i used the grapple to haul it off. Anything under 2 inches I just mowed and shredded. Of course in the brush were large trees laying on the ground, so it was nice having a bobcat that could pick up and move any tree I found. Made a pretty good dent on what I wanted to clear...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 279
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      74.7 KB · Views: 255
    Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Interesting thread.

I have to clear about five acres of land of high native grasses, scrub brush, Mesquite, and Huisache.

The land is fairly level and well above any flood plain.

Will have to continue to keep that land cleared indefinitely.

Tractor? If so, what HP and brush cutter?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Be well.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Interesting thread.

I have to clear about five acres of land of high native grasses, scrub brush, Mesquite, and Huisache.

The land is fairly level and well above any flood plain.

Will have to continue to keep that land cleared indefinitely.

Tractor? If so, what HP and brush cutter?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Be well.

Why. Serious question..
    Once cleared, what is the primary use of the land?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    To clear fields of fire -- why else?

Thanks.
    If you just want to keep the Mesquite and brush down pay somebody to mow it once or twice a year.

If you want to keep it ankle high all year then buying a tractor is a good choice. I like a 30-40 hp tractor and had good luck with the Bush Hog I bought at Tractor Supply (but they are all pretty much the same in that price range).

If you want to plant crops or turn it into a putting green you are gonna have to look at a sizable investment in equipment.

I always suggest a front loader and 4x4 on a tractor. They make a tractor so much handier to have around.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I tried paying the guy who has been doing our dozer work to come out and mow before I bought any equipment. Two months later and only taller weeds to show for it, I said screw it, and found a way to do it myself. If you can get a good guy who is willing to work with your schedule, keep him! If you dont have cows, better get a mower..... The weeds are somewhat manageable if you spray and mow enough to keep them down.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    So I think I'm ending up with a Kioti CK30. It a 30 horse (25 at PTO) and am able to get it with front loader, box blade, and a very nice trailer for under $19.4 g's (although it'll be financed). It's a Tier 3 engine so I don't have to deal with all the EPA bullshit. I just wish they put the clutch out a little further from the seat on any of these things. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to rig the clutch further back without compromising safety or functionality.
    I have a Kioti CK30HST. Been good so far. Any questions I might be able to help.

Top Bottom