• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    There don't seem to be as many hunters on here as there are range shooters on this forum, but this might interest the minority.

AUSTIN - Hunters could use dogs to trail a wounded deer in 12 counties in East Texas, a practice that has been prohibited in this area of the state since 1990, under a proposal being considered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD).
    A series of public meetings will be held to provide details of the proposal and give the public an opportunity to comment. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission is expected to take action on the proposed change at its August 22 meeting at TPWD headquarters in Austin.
    In 1990 TPWD adopted rules prohibiting the use of dogs to trail wounded deer in 34 East Texas counties. The rulemaking was necessary because the department determined that dogs were being used unlawfully to hunt deer, which was causing depletion of the resource.
    By 2000, TPWD determined that the practice of using dogs to hunt deer had declined to the point of being nonexistent in some of those counties and removed the prohibition in 10 of those counties. TPWD now believes the prohibition could be lifted in an additional 12 counties, including: Harris, Harrison, Houston, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Panola, Polk, Rusk, San Jacinto, Trinity, and Walker.
    Gun Zone Deals

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    So, hunters would bring dogs in the off chance they might wound a deer?

Right. It happens quite often. Kids, inexperienced hunters, or even seasoned hunters who make a bad shot would all potentially benefit from this. Unfortunately I hear people say often that they don't spend more than a few minutes in the brush looking for their deer. They just chalk it up to coyote bait and go shoot another.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We had dogs to track wounded deer. We kept them at HQ and brought them out if a hunter had a bad shot and we needed to trail a deer that was not easily found.

You can get the body heat scopes now, but nothing beats a good dog.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've heard of people training their dogs for this. Mostly people who hunted their own property.

Never knew it was illegal and never heard of anyone using the dogs for any reason other than tracking one that was wounded.

lokiaga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Austin
    I live farther west than those counties, but if I wound a deer that runs off, my dog loves to track them down. He eats an ear off; that's his finder's fee.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Deer hunting in the East is commonly done with dogs. Never learned that it was the case in Texas. Makes sense to ensure you get the animal you shoot. Just needs to be managed right to not be abused.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    yes... that sounds nuts

I'm no jagermeister but if I wanted to shoot a deer I'd wake up early one morning and kill the ones that eat all my peas I try to grow in the garden. Rats with hooves...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Well, as to "why"....my top 5 reasons to spend $15k for a one week hunt

In the field
    1) You get to shoot at the biggest rats with hooves.
    2) You get a guide that knows HTF to hunt, not just a feeder with corn in it, passing knowledge on real knowledge to you
    3) You get an experience rattling and/or stalking that can't be duplicated in a blind
    4) You get enough space/acreage to actually move around and stalk while hunting
    5) If you don't bring your own weapon, you get to choose/borrow a really nice one that your host will familiarize you with and help you practice with

Back at the house
    1) You get a pleasant environment like a cabin with campfires built for you and your family/friends/business partners every night
    2) You get waited on, drinks brought to you
    3) You usually have a chef or an awesome cook (we used to fly ours in from New Orleans for one of our groups)
    4) You get someone who cleans and processes your kills for you
    5) You get someone who will coordinate getting your mounts to your taxidermist

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    eh, I guess growing up red neck took all the appeal of that away for me. I can see how a city slicker might be interested in such a hunt, but for me it just adds to my lamentations that hunting has become a rich man's sport. Pretty soon we'll be like Europe where hunting is only for the lords.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Get a lease or buy some land. Its available in the market for very decent prices. There's tons of acreage for sale with decent hunting for <$2k an acre.

Your job, your education, your home, your hobbies, your lifestyle, your money. Its all choices. The only reason someone can't afford to hunt is because of the succession of choices they have made in their own life.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Get a lease or buy some land. Its available in the market for very decent prices. There's tons of acreage for sale with decent hunting for <$2k an acre.

Your job, your education, your home, your hobbies, your lifestyle, your money. Its all choices. The only reason someone can't afford to hunt is because of the succession of choices they have made in their own life.

Can you find me some of this anywhere close to me?

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All the more reason not to spend $15k on one hunt. Maybe not in TX, but there's parts of the country that $15k can buy you a large enough piece of land to do a little hunting on, and you can go back year after year because you actually own it.

...but you're right; to each his own. For me personally $15k is a huge sum of money for an "experience", but to others it's pocket change.

Top Bottom