• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    All the more reason not to spend $15k on one hunt. Maybe not in TX, but there's parts of the country that $15k can buy you a large enough piece of land to do a little hunting on, and you can go back year after year because you actually own it.

...but you're right; to each his own. For me personally $15k is a huge sum of money for an "experience", but to others it's pocket change.

I agree. I'd rather have the land too. I was just pointing out why some people do it.

You're probably a lot like me. I enjoy building a fire, and cleaning a kill really doesn't take that much effort. I have a lot of hunting knowledge already so most of that doesn't appeal to me either. I might pay for a hunt like that in Africa, but not Texas.

Well, it says "The Woodlands" right under my incorrect join date.

You're out of luck if you want close and cheap both. You gotta choose.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You're probably a lot like me. I enjoy building a fire, and cleaning a kill really doesn't take that much effort. I have a lot of hunting knowledge already so most of that doesn't appeal to me either. I might pay for a hunt like that in Africa, but not Texas.
    I fall more into the category of "IT nerd" than "outdoorsman" these days, but yeah I do enjoy building a fire to cook what I just killed and cleaned. It was just part of life growing up. Going on a cape buffalo hunt sounds like fun, but I'd be compelled to dress like a Victorian Brit on safari for some reason. Too many movies I guess ;)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I fall more into the category of "IT nerd" than "outdoorsman" these days, but yeah I do enjoy building a fire to cook what I just killed and cleaned. It was just part of life growing up. Going on a cape buffalo hunt sounds like fun, but I'd be compelled to dress like a Victorian Brit on safari for some reason. Too many movies I guess ;)

LOL. I hear you. I spend more time at work and flying around to talk to clients than I do outdoors, but I'm working towards changing that equation. I gotta go the lease route until I have the finances to buy the land I want. Just takes time and foregoing things I want now to buy the land I want later.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    LOL. I hear you. I spend more time at work and flying around to talk to clients than I do outdoors, but I'm working towards changing that equation. I gotta go the lease route until I have the finances to buy the land I want. Just takes time and foregoing things I want now to buy the land I want later.
    Lease vs own is an age old hunters dilemma. Both have advantages and disadvantages. As to tracking dogs, I don't like it as I can see this being abused with the excuse of we weren't hunting that deer we were "tracking" it.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So i'm not up on the latest and greatest conventional knowledge on deer conservation, but someone explain to me how hunting deer with dogs, is worse than putting up a box, then having corn pop out of a feeder periodically driving out to said box sitting in it, then popping a deer?

Never understood the logic.

Last edited:

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    So in not up on the latest and greatest conventional knowledge on deer conservation, but someone explain to me how hunting deer with dogs, is worse than putting up a box, then having corn pop out of a feeder periodically driving out to said box sitting in it, then popping a deer?

Never understood the logic.
    Ok, easy answer. The dogs crap in the woods and I step in it. That is no good.

Now for the longer answer, pushing of the herd leads to stress and reduced birth rates. By the way I don't call shooting deer with its head in a feed bucket hunting, its harvesting. I have done both, each has its purpose.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Ok, easy answer. The dogs crap in the woods and I step in it. That is no good.

Now for the longer answer, pushing of the herd leads to stress and reduced birth rates. By the way I don't call shooting deer with its head in a feed bucket hunting, its harvesting. I have done both, each has its purpose.[/QUOT
    +1......well put, I will be one of the 1st to say that what we do is not "hunting", we harvest. As you said, I have done both, each has its purpose

doncom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Marble Falls, TX
    Ive seen dogs used to recover wounded animals (where legal) for years. The folks I know never 'take' the dogs hunting with them. When an animal is wounded and all attempts at recovery have failed, they call someone with a tracking dog to come help. Most dog owners are happy with some gas money and a meal, but there are those who make a living raising, training, and working tracking dogs. They often charge more substantial fees.

All dogs were outlawed in East Texas years ago when running deer with dogs was outlawed and some folks thought they could pull a fast one just by saying they were trying to track a wounded animal.

Top Bottom