Not open for further replies.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Politics as usual.
    Both parties are associated with scumbags. It just depends on who's in charge as to how much we hear about it.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The rapper, Common? Eh, he's really not that violent from the 2 songs i've heard of his. I don't really care for him though.

BigD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Dallas
    Common is a very underrated rapper. His songs have a point, although i disagree with most of them. No rapper should be a role model, but he is better than most.

Alamo Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    DeSoto, Dallas County, TX
    As per the article:

Common, whose real name is Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., is not considered a gangsta rapper, but some of his songs and poems feature violent imagery.
    In one poem, he called for the metaphorical burning of President George W. Bush -- a "burning Bush." And in a song, he praised convicted cop-killer and
    former Black Panther Assata Shakur.

Please don't throw that RACE card at me, or the premise that everyone must unconditionally respect the POTUS solely on the basis that he/she may occupy that Hallowed Office - as I and several others on this forum have clarified ad nauseum I RESPECT THE OFFICE of the PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES- there is a difference.

I do NOT feel that ANYONE who promotes violent imagery, praises cop-killers, and has metaphorically called for the burning of a prior Holder of The Office of the Presidency in an antiwar song released when our troops were and are in harms way, is an appropriate "role model" for American youth whose artistic contributions have earned him the privileged esteem and recognition deemed by a personal invitation to the White House.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'm not trying to justify anything when I say this, nor do i support or defend Obama or Common, but many cops in those times were corrupt and racist towards black people. The black panthers were formed to fight back against discriminating white police officers who would go overboard and abuse black people who were fighting for civil rights. The panthers did definitely go overboard as well, but since they did fight against corrupt officers, I should factor in the possibility that the specific officer may have been overly abusive against black people and could have been corrupt. HOWEVER, that is still not a valid reason to kill a police officer unless he were legitimately beating someone to death for some diminutive reason.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    As per the article:

Common, whose real name is Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., is not considered a gangsta rapper, but some of his songs and poems feature violent imagery.
    In one poem, he called for the metaphorical burning of President George W. Bush -- a "burning Bush." And in a song, he praised convicted cop-killer and
    former Black Panther Assata Shakur.

Please don't throw that RACE card at me, or the premise that everyone must unconditionally respect the POTUS solely on the basis that he/she may occupy that Hallowed Office - as I and several others on this forum have clarified ad nauseum I RESPECT THE OFFICE of the PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES- there is a difference.

I do NOT feel that ANYONE who promotes violent imagery, praises cop-killers, and has metaphorically called for the burning of a prior Holder of The Office of the Presidency in an antiwar song released when our troops were and are in harms way, is an appropriate "role model" for American youth whose artistic contributions have earned him the privileged esteem and recognition deemed by a personal invitation to the White House.

Well said Ann. While I respect the office of the President--that's as far as it goes these days.

Cutman---Oh never mind!

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Well, that view from the G.O.P.-controlled news station (see wiki-leaks) is pretty narrow. Let's see... Common has been nominated for eight Grammys, of which he won twice. Common is a Christian and has been a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago led by the Rev. Jeremiah Wright since his childhood. Common used to maintain a vegan diet and is a supporter of animal rights and PETA. He recently appeared in a print advertisement for PETA titled "Think Before You Eat". Common is also part of the "Knowing Is Beautiful" movement, which supports HIV/AIDS awareness. He is featured in the video for "Yes We Can", a song in support of the candidacy of Barack Obama, which made its debut on the internet on February 2, 2008. Common has pledged to stop using anti-gay lyrics in his music. Common has acted in six movies and two video games. He's worked with some of the greatest artists in the world, including QuestLove, Prince, Erykah Badu, Mary Jane Blige, Kanye West, Devo, Bruce Springsteen, and The Jonas Brothers. Common also attended Florida A&M University for two years under a scholarship and majored in business administration. He dropped out when his music career exploded. Sounds like he is a 38 year old man "whose artistic contributions have earned him the privileged esteem and recognition deemed by a personal invitation to the White House."

amidst praising a cop killer,other less controversial artists with greater contributions could of been "honored" by that invitation

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If it had to be a rapper being invited to the WH, I can think of a number of other rappers that have spent most of their careers rapping about positive things and pushing a positive message. I would say most of that was from the earlier days of rap, like the 80's to the early 90's, though there are still a handful of people around pushing the positive stuff. If I were president, and I had to invite an accomplished musical artist to the WH, I would choose Alicia Keys. It would be because of her accomplishments, and nothing to do with her being hot. Really, trust me. ;)

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Nevermind my last post. Assata Shakur shot a cop for pulling over her posse's car, absolutely no corrupt hateful cop involved. Bitch fled to Cuba afterwards. So yes, Common is stupid for praising an asshat like her.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom