• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am close to pulling the trigger on the new crosshair vi hero and a ryzen processor. I have narrowed it down to the amd r7 1700x or the 1800x. The 1800x is 499.00 and the 1700 is mid 300's Do you think it would be worth the extra cash to get the 1800. Also since they are new Main boards there is not much info on what ram is working good for the motherboard.
    Military Camp

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    The 1800/1800x is a waste of money. The 1700x can be overclocked to the 1800x speeds at less money and they are the same design, same cores, and TDP. As far as RAM goes, go to the QVL list on the motherboard manufacturer website to see which RAM they tested that is verified. Additionally, the BIOS and chip updates are still coming out and slow since this is a new architecture and you probably won't get the 3000+ speeds, in fact I don't know anyone who has achieved those speeds on RAM. I went with the ASUS X370 Pro since it has everything I want but it was a pain in the ass to get a hold of since everything was backordered. I'm still waiting on my AM4 bracket for my water cooler but everything else has been sitting here for the last 5 weeks.

If you want, I can give you a list of what I have.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    The 1800/1800x is a waste of money. The 1700x can be overclocked to the 1800x speeds at less money and they are the same design, same cores, and TDP. As far as RAM goes, go to the QVL list on the motherboard manufacturer website to see which RAM they tested that is verified. Additionally, the BIOS and chip updates are still coming out and slow since this is a new architecture and you probably won't get the 3000+ speeds, in fact I don't know anyone who has achieved those speeds on RAM. I went with the ASUS X370 Pro since it has everything I want but it was a pain in the ass to get a hold of since everything was backordered. I'm still waiting on my AM4 bracket for my water cooler but everything else has been sitting here for the last 5 weeks.

If you want, I can give you a list of what I have.
    I haven't looked but I hope corsair h110gt has a am4 bracket I can order. What ram did you get?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Corsair Venegence, it was on the QVL for my board. Corsair H110i fits due to the different bracket. The H100i v2 does not and I am waiting for the bracket, should get it this week.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0123ZC44Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/am4-amd-retention-bracket-kit-for-hydro-series-coolers

I wanted top speed RAM but I didn't want to run into issues so I went QVL this time, in fact, I almost always go QVL since I am guaranteed it will work.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Corsair in general has never steered me wrong. I have a case, a power supply, their cooler, and RAM. However, this AM4 bracket debacle has me pissed at them. They are 4 weeks late on delivering the bracket but at least they are expediting shipping and giving the part free.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I think I will go with the 1700x and if i feel I want to crank up the mhz I will just O.C. it. Why did you decide to go with 2666 ram and not the 3200? so If i have the 110i gt it says I do not need a bracket. I am confused about that being I bought it well before the rumors even started about am4 and it has been over a year since I installed it so I do not remember without opening up my case how it could work for the am4 socket

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    You won't get 3200 speeds out of the Vengeance, no one has so far. In fact, no one as topped 3000 despite the speed of the RAM. The BIOS/chip drivers aren't mature enough yet and overclocking the RAM ends up with failure to POST or BSODs. Now will it work in a year? Probably, but I'd rather get what I know works and just overclock the RAM as time goes on. Also, the reason your H110 works is because of the bracket, the asetek pumps like the H100i v2 use a different mounting system which doesn't work quite right.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    You won't get 3200 speeds out of the Vengeance, no one has so far. In fact, no one as topped 3000 despite the speed of the RAM. The BIOS/chip drivers aren't mature enough yet and overclocking the RAM ends up with failure to POST or BSODs. Now will it work in a year? Probably, but I'd rather get what I know works and just overclock the RAM as time goes on. Also, the reason your H110 works is because of the bracket, the asetek pumps like the H100i v2 use a different mounting system which doesn't work quite right.

I could not find the ram you posted in the QVL for the crosshair VI Hero.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I can find plenty of 2400 ram by corsair on the QVL but under 2666 it only lists a 64 gig corsair kit and a 128 gig kit I am looking at this kit from new egg CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 just copy the model into new eggs search bar and it will pop up let me know what you think about that kit

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am thinking should I even do it yet. My current rig is the asus crosshair v formula z the amd 8350 with 32 gigs of patriot vyper ram two gtx 970 in sli are the basics. The computer is rock solid no issues and runs any game I have thrown at it with no issues at all. I have an 800 dollar budget for main board processor and ram. Should I bother yet? or just wait longer and put some of that money into other upgrades on the current rig. Like a better ssd or upgrading graphics cards? I do not run an ultra HD tv so its just standard 1080p. I am itching to get it but do I really need it? I haven't overclocked in over a year. Been running ram and processor everything at stock clocks.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    crosshair IV might be different, I have an ASUS X370 Pro board, so you would need to check the QVL for what you want that is tested on that board.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Same question for you. Why did you go with 2666 ddr4 and not the 3200?

Because when I bought the ram (almost a year ago) 3200 was almost twice the price for 32 GB of Cas 15... It was the difference between 220 dollars and 400 dollars. It wasn't worth it for me and ram speeds rarely effect game performance or encoding for me.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    If your current rig still runs any games you want, I'd honestly wait though. By the time you do need to upgrade, you would have more cash on hand and the updates on the boards would be more mature. That would let you get RAM that you want, at least most likely since the more updates they do, the more RAM gets tested and verified.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Well I got my rig up tonight. Got the bracket I needed in and installed everything and good to go. I was for sure it was going to give me some hell but it didn't. Already on Windows 10 pro and everything installed. 16 cores is bitchen.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Final build image. The only thing I didn't like was the assinine way the pump has to sit with the USB cable, I had no clean way to route the cable nor the fan cables.

IMG_0794.jpg

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    smoking. No issues on anything so far. They still haven't fixed the +20 degree celsius bug that reports the temp higher than what it is. I put a thermal gun to it and it was actually around 27 degrees idle, at least at the joint where the heatsink meets the processor. Runs everything maxed @ 1440p with a 1070 and boots quick. The M.2 speeds get me to the desktop in 12-17 seconds. My biggest bitch is the lack of BIOS updates so far and letting RAM clocked at 2666 Mhz actually run that speed. I have to wait for more BIOS updates, if I manually overclock the RAM to its specified speed it won't POST, fuckin annoying but it is a new processor and chipset.

Top Bottom