• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    I've read articles talking about both sides of the debate over shooting steel ammo vs. brass. So, I'm asking you guys who probably have more range time than me. I'm looking at getting into some amateur competitive shooting meets and I'm wondering TulAmmo is a good option for range practice. It's cheap as heck compared to all the other brands, but not easily reloadable. I've also been told by a lot of guys who have served that shooting this stuff does absolutely nothing harmful to your firearm as long as you clean it thoroughly after each range visit. They have said words to the effect, "We've shot the crappiest ammo on the planet while in the service and our weapons functioned just fine because we maintained them."

So, I'm looking at the Russian stuff on Lucky Gunner and Bulk Ammo and I'd like to know if I should add it to my cart.
    Venture Surplus ad

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've never used steel cased ammo. If you are talking about 5.56, is the couple cents per round worth the possible problems with it? You be the judge. If you are talking about AK47 7.62x39mm, yeah definitely steel cased.

Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    I'd be shooting 7.62x51mm ammo.

It sounds to me like it's not worth the hassle because of the lacquer anti-rust coating or whatever the Soviets used to preserve ammo for 1000 years.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Steel cased ammo works okay.
    Steel case ammo does has the issue of blowback.
    The steel casing does not expand on firing to seal the chamber as well as a brass casing does.
    Brass expands and then slightly contracts.
    That's why its always been used.
    Steel doesn't.
    Hot gasses during firing blow back alongside the casing.
    This hot gas melts the coatings used on steel cased ammo. The coating is there to prevent rust on the steel casing and to help with friction. Brass also has a slipperiness to it compared to steel. It is also softer and any erosion will occur on the brass case and not the barrel/chamber/receiver steel.
    The hot gas also carries fouling/carbon with it.
    Over time this fouling and residue builds up on the chamber wall causing chambering/extraction problems. And this same crud gets all back into the guns action and even your face.
    This is why it is vital you thoroughly clean any firearm using steel cased ammo.
    It is best to clean immediately after shooting as the residue is still fairly soft and can be removed easily. If you let it sit it can harden up like glue and be a real bear to get out.
    Another factor: Earlier produced steel case ammo is corrosive primed and there is a crap ton of that stuff still floating around. Corrosive ammo MUST be cleaned ASAP or you'll get real bad rusting and pitting.
    Its not difficult to clean but it must be done quickly. Throwing your rifle in the corner and cleaning it next week is bad juju.
    Do not trust any steel cased ammo to be completely non-corrosive. CLEAN YOUR WEAPON TODAY.

Recap: moderate use of steel ammo is fine just remember to clean.

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    If it’s for a fun shoot, it’s good to go. Makes for a great practice if it jams.

I wouldn’t trust my life with it though.

yakdung

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Texas
    I reserve shooting it with my low cost AKM commie guns. I do not shoot it if manufactures recommend not shooting steel case only brass. Reading the manual of your guns, should be your guide.
    Be safe,

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I've had problems with steel cased ammo.

What problem?

Primers too hard and failed to go bam consistently.

Pay a few bucks more and get decent/consistent quality.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If your rifles can't handle steel-cased ammo, they're weak!

mf483iaedwn21.jpg

I've put thousands of steel-case rounds through my AKs and Mosins, and have never had a problem.

Attachments

• mf483iaedwn21.jpg
      mf483iaedwn21.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 313
    Top Bottom