• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Now I wanna look for a cheap ar15 just to run steel case in and report on it. What’s the cheapest pile of shit that won’t explode on me? No plastic lowers. I’m thinking delton.
    Texas SOT

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'd shoot steel in my Yeet Cannon. (If I had one) I do shoot the stuff in my Hi Point carbine. I find it very dirty

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have shot a few thousand rounds in SKSs and AKs over the years with zero problems. Also shot some 9mm through a couple pistols with zero issues. Shot a few hundred through ARs, with little to no problems.

It does shoot dirty, and requires a good cleaning after each outing.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Ak, yes. My colt ar15 fed a few hundred rounds without cleaning. But it was filthy gummy inside.
    Some ar's choke on steel
    9 or 45 in a glock: all day ;)

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I shoot the shit out of steel in my M1A’s. Never had a problem, except the sissy’s that shoot it without glasses.

Craig, I’m really diggin that avatar. Reminds me of someone I know.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    For years I would accumulate various steel .223 when people with high end , finely tuned rifles would not cycle it reliably.

Many times I would be the recipient of most of a case for pennies on the dollar.

My mini-14 has absolutely no issue with it at all.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    For years I would accumulate various steel .223 when people with high end , finely tuned rifles would not cycle it reliably.

Many times I would be the recipient of most of a case for pennies on the dollar.

My mini-14 has absolutely no issue with it at all.
    How old is yours? I love mini14’s.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Looks like you got a pretty good response as to when, where and if anyone uses steel cased ammo. I too, by and large use it in my AK type guns, but have some steel cased .308 and .223 stocked up from the last panic. I will occasionally use the .223 in some of my AR's and the .308 works well in the PTR rifles, but overall I am only buying x39 the last few years. I haven't had any issues with them in any caliber.

However, my real reason for posting he is that you mentioned Lucky Gunner and BulkAmmo and I just wanted to say before you commit to buying anything from them, I hope you would shop around.

First off, both of those companies are charging TX sales tax. I realize everyone will be at some point, but until our Legislature does anything about it, don't go paying for something that you don't need to. But if you feel a burning desire to pay sales tax, you could mail a check to the State of Texas every year with their due.

Second, these companies tend to make up for a great sale price with higher then normal shipping charges. Not always, but I've seen it happen with them and others. Both companies are great at online marketing and seem to show up in lot of places and search engines, but don't be fooled by that. If you can't get a good deal with free shipping somewhere, I would always recommend you start with SGAmmo then start out from there.

I know you said you are probably giving up on the steel cased idea, but just as an example I had to go look...

Lucky Gunner-308 - 150 Grain FMJ - Wolf Performance - 500 Rounds-$194 shipped
    BulkAmmo.com- " " - $197 shipped

SGAmmo - $156 shipped and it will be at your doorstep in 2 to 3 days max.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Looks like you got a pretty good response as to when, where and if anyone uses steel cased ammo. I too, by and large use it in my AK type guns, but have some steel cased .308 and .223 stocked up from the last panic. I will occasionally use the .223 in some of my AR's and the .308 works well in the PTR rifles, but overall I am only buying x39 the last few years. I haven't had any issues with them in any caliber.

However, my real reason for posting he is that you mentioned Lucky Gunner and BulkAmmo and I just wanted to say before you commit to buying anything from them, I hope you would shop around.

First off, both of those companies are charging TX sales tax. I realize everyone will be at some point, but until our Legislature does anything about it, don't go paying for something that you don't need to. But if you feel a burning desire to pay sales tax, you could mail a check to the State of Texas every year with their due.

Second, these companies tend to make up for a great sale price with higher then normal shipping charges. Not always, but I've seen it happen with them and others. Both companies are great at online marketing and seem to show up in lot of places and search engines, but don't be fooled by that. If you can't get a good deal with free shipping somewhere, I would always recommend you start with SGAmmo then start out from there.

I know you said you are probably giving up on the steel cased idea, but just as an example I had to go look...

Lucky Gunner-308 - 150 Grain FMJ - Wolf Performance - 500 Rounds-$194 shipped
    BulkAmmo.com- " " - $197 shipped

SGAmmo - $156 shipped and it will be at your doorstep in 2 to 3 days max.

I bounce between sgammo and target sports usa. Occasionally brownells will have a promo code that makes their ammo worth it

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've shot a little of it. It's definitely dirtier for sure.
    I've got about 500 rounds of 9mm and 600 rounds of .223 that I just keep for SHTF.
    I don't count it as part of my inventory, it's set aside in a different area.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I have shot steel case exclusively in my AR, some Tulammo, but mostly Monarch from Academy. I have a little less that 2000 rnds through it and I have never had any of the issues that some have claimed. I have had zero malfunctions and no obvious extensive wear due to the ammo, just normal wear you would have after shooting just under 2000 rnds. Accuracy is not the greatest, but it's good enough out to 200yrds. I have put down many hogs with a one shot kill out to 150yrds with Monarch steel cased ammo and I will keep using it. I also use the Monarch steel cased ammo in all of my semi-auto pistols and have had zero issues and will continue use it.

Top Bottom