Turkish or Yugo 8mm. Which is better?

Rangerscott

Well-Known
Aug 2, 2010
Lubbock
So yea. Which would you choose and what is the going rate on both?

yooper_sjd

Aug 15, 2009
Christoval
Yugo is better. Have heard bad things about turk 8mm surplus. I had a 8mm Mauser and Hakim. shot Yugo surplus exclusively out of them with zero mishaps/misfires. I buy most my surplus ammo online and main search engine for me is: ammoengine.com

and I always check Century Arms website for ammo as well. most my regular sights are out of Yugo surplus. but haven't checked Century website as of yet.

hope that helps

yoop

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
Are you referring to rifles or ammo? Most Turk rifles were made in Germany and later re-arsenaled in Ankara. Yugo rifles are unique as most are not exactly K98 size (they are slightly shorter).

Ammo? Turk ammo has a reputation for being HOT! I have yet to experience a misfire or hangfire in my Turk ammo. WTS, some report problems.
Yugo ammo is still made and generally considered good quality

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
The best surplus 8mm Mauser ammo comes from the former Yugoslavia. It is brass cased, but corrosive. Be sure to flood your barrel with hot soapy water as soon as you can after shooting.

Corrosive ammo (actual the primer mix) will continue to attack your bore days after you first cleaned it. It is good to follow a three day cleaning cycle: Flush with plenty of hot soapy water, dry, run bore solvent back and forth on a patch, then oil.

If you are lucky, there is some surplus 8mm Mauser ammo still out there for about a $.75 a round.

With the dwindling supply of surplus 8mm, I've started to reload with virgin brass and Remington Bullets. Ain't cheap. First time around, it costs about $.95 per round, but the cost goes way down as you reload the cases. Bullets are about $.38 each now. Powder + Primers about another $.18.

zx9rt1

TGT Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
I have a Yugo M48 that's all milled, not stamped, and love the 8mm.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
Jul 11, 2009
East Houston
Ammo?
Yugoslavian is top quality.
I used to buy the Turkish 8mm ammo for 4 cents per round! It's dirty and folks say that it's a hot loading. I can't swear to that myself as I never noted that. Dirty.......yes, big time!

Rifles?
I owned several Yugo 8mm rifles and give them a thumbs up! They are high quality and worth the money.

Turkish rifles? I've only owned one. When I worked at the prison, I brought rifles to the little trailer park where I lived on the grounds so I could refinish them.

I had ONE Turk rifle and disassembled it. I got to know that rifle pretty well. The rear sight base was braced with wire then soldered. It was ugly. The worst part was the difference in the barrel stub thread and the receiver ring thread. There was 1/2 thread difference in those screw threads. That Turks had a solution for that design flaw. TORQUE! They just jammed the two parts together and kept torquing it until the sights ended up on top! What a mess!

Yugo rifles are great.
Turk rifles have questionable QC.

Flash

Spcwolf

Apr 16, 2013
Conroe tx
At 50 yards my yugo m48 mauser did 1 inch groups with yugo surplus, I recently put a mojo sight on it. Turkish anything is always going to be of suspect quality.

jtw2

Dec 5, 2013
Cedar Creek
Every Turkish Mauser I've ever had looked like it had been worked on in a cave at some point in its life. My yugo m48 is the only Mauser I still own. I love the teak furniture and it shoots great

Spcwolf

Apr 16, 2013
Conroe tx
Swedish mausers are the best of all.

Top Bottom