• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    lol Head's up TxI :p

I vaguely remember this story. It was the summer between my Jr & Sr year. Probably one of the best summers ever! heh Anyway, I wondered about the missile people said they saw but nothing ever came of it. I never had an opinion on this event though.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have a very good friend in the FBI. At the time he was working out of the NY City, but was here visiting me shortly after. We had an interesting conversation.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Cool, in the behind the scenes sense. I'm interested in the Navy aspect/involvement. I'm going to consult my Navy rep and see if there was ever any urban legends.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Reading between the DoubleSpeak lines:

“They also provide radar and forensic evidence proving that one or more ordinance explosions outside the aircraft caused the crash.”

The FBI conducted a 16-month investigation and concluded that there was no evidence to indicate that any criminal act occurred.

In other words, it was shot down accidentally by friendly fire.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    This is not good news. Not good news at all. From what I remember of the story, I thought we already knew it was shot down. I guess I should excuse myself now and go check the mirror. Apparently I've been wearing a tinfoil hat for many years.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I remember that most of the evidence pointed to an accidental shoot-down, but that the government said that the streak that looked like a missile was part of the explosion shooting away from the plane before the fireball really got going or something stupid like that.

Should be pretty obvious if one were to look at the wreckage. An anti-air missile should leave some really distinctive damage.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    There is no way that aircraft was shot down.

It's been too long so I'm not arguing, but why not?

Yeah, I remember that most of the evidence pointed to an accidental shoot-down, but that the government said that the streak that looked like a missile was part of the explosion shooting away from the plane before the fireball really got going or something stupid like that.

Should be pretty obvious if one were to look at the wreckage. An anti-air missile should leave some really distinctive damage.

Not necessarily. Some anti-aircraft weapons are meant to explode and create a debris field that will disable a plane, not make it explode. In a military situation, the main goal is just to take the plane out of the fight. You don't have to shoot it down. Others might be heat seeking which would take out an engine and part of a wing, but not necessarily leave evidence on the fuselage.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Not necessarily. Some anti-aircraft weapons are meant to explode and create a debris field that will disable a plane, not make it explode. In a military situation, the main goal is just to take the plane out of the fight. You don't have to shoot it down. Others might be heat seeking which would take out an engine and part of a wing, but not necessarily leave evidence on the fuselage.

All air missiles I am aware of dating back to SA-2 are designed to detonate in proximity to A/C and throw shrapnel into the plane.

Anyway, as MSage points out, it would leave distinctive damage - outside scorching, inward metal bending, etc as opposed to inside scorching, outward if it was an on-board explosion like PA103.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    All air missiles I am aware of dating back to SA-2 are designed to detonate in proximity to A/C and throw shrapnel into the plane.

I was thinking more along the lines of a shoulder fired weapon. Those are just a tad smaller than something like a SA-2. :)

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    My brother was in the Navy at the time. He could tell of some very interesting scuttlebutt that made the rounds soon after this "accident".

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There are so many conspiracy theories floating around about every disaster that it's awfully believe to any of them.

However, I've never bought the story that it was the fuel tank. I've been around large jet fuel spills and the stuff is just not that volatile. Even if it was, there wouldn't be enough air in a fuel tank to allow it to hit an explosive mixture. If that were the case, there would be many other planes with similar explosions and/or fuel tanks would be nitrogen padded. The public was given a "these aren't the droids you're looking for" excuse so that the sheeple would go back to worrying about the characters on their favorite TV show and not put up a fuss.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The govt could not keep secret that Devgru killed UBL. Any idea how many people would have to keep the shooting down of a US commercial airliner, over US airspace, a secret. Lol

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There are so many conspiracy theories floating around about every disaster that it's awfully believe to any of them.

However, I've never bought the story that it was the fuel tank. I've been around large jet fuel spills and the stuff is just not that volatile. Even if it was, there wouldn't be enough air in a fuel tank to allow it to hit an explosive mixture. If that were the case, there would be many other planes with similar explosions and/or fuel tanks would be nitrogen padded. The public was given a "these aren't the droids you're looking for" excuse so that the sheeple would go back to worrying about the characters on their favorite TV show and not put up a fuss.
    Jet fuel is highly flammable, and the tank was not full.

Top Bottom