• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The govt could not keep secret that Devgru killed UBL. Any idea how many people would have to keep the shooting down of a US commercial airliner, over US airspace, a secret. Lol

Well, good question. Without actually taking a position on the event itself but answering the question in a broad sense... I would point towards the difference in political climates, then vs now. Also the difference in technology, cable news and society's appetite for conflict. This event was pre-9/11, when life was relatively innocent <-- I use that word loosely.

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    I was on the pier pulling shore power when they pulled into port after helping with the recovery effort. I would not have believed them if not for the fact that just about the entire crew was reassigned just after that. Not really hard to keep secret, sailors follow orders too.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    All air missiles I am aware of dating back to SA-2 are designed to detonate in proximity to A/C and throw shrapnel into the plane.

Anyway, as MSage points out, it would leave distinctive damage - outside scorching, inward metal bending, etc as opposed to inside scorching, outward if it was an on-board explosion like PA103.

I was thinking a pattern from shrapnel hitting the plane, too.

IIRC, some missiles even use rods instead of just fragmentation.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was on the pier pulling shore power when they pulled into port after helping with the recovery effort. I would not have believed them if not for the fact that just about the entire crew was reassigned just after that. Not really hard to keep secret, sailors follow orders too.

lol. They, the crew told you they shot down 800?

And what evidence is there that "just about the entire crew" was reassigned "just after that"?

Sailors keep secrets too? Really 400 Sailors, approximately 340 enlisted? For 17 years?

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    lol. They, the crew told you they shot down 800?

And what evidence is there that "just about the entire crew" was reassigned "just after that"?

Sailors keep secrets too? Really 400 Sailors, approximately 340 enlisted? For 17 years?

Yes, they told us that during missile drills a missile went off course and impacted, not detonated a target.

As for evidence that they were reassigned, we were parked on the pier next to them and saw a ghost ship for weeks.

Regarding keeping secrets, when the crew scattered then they would only be lone voices telling stories and nobody would believe them.

Again, only have second hand knowledge as I was not aboard

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To commercial airliners run the same type of fuel as military?

JP8 runs everything from trucks to tanks(turbine engine) to helicopters. Pretty sure it's used in most of the fixed wing planes also.

It's not all that combustible. Pretty close to diesel. ESP this new diesel at the pumps now.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Not talking about 800 here, but this specific comment wouldn't surprise me in the least. There are plenty of secrets out there that have been kept by enlisted for more than a decade or two.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There is a HUGE difference between FLAMMABLE and VOLATILE. Jet fuel is like kerosene, not like gasoline.

This. I use a shop air powered vacuum bleeder to prime Volkswagen diesel injection pumps. If I smoked, I'd smoke while I did it.

That would be extremely dangerous with gasoline, even without the cigarette.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Not talking about 800 here, but this specific comment wouldn't surprise me in the least. There are plenty of secrets out there that have been kept by enlisted for more than a decade or two.

I know of entire nuclear submarine bases that keep secrets. Hell, I was on one and am looking forward to the day when things are declassed due to time frame so I can tell my grandkids some cool stuff.

Also, there are a lot of second hand accounts of people hearing about it being shot down as well as a couple I have seen where guys go on forums and say they watched it and regs have changed to prevent this from happening again.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    The video was incorrect(by FBI) I know enough about airplanes to understand an aircraft with nose broke off the fuselage will fall straight down the plane will not continue to climb, second one NTSB investigator was told not to take pictures of holes in plane, odd as they always do for evidence and research. Something smells, certainly if it was shot down the airlines industry would not want Joe average to know.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    The NSA, IRS, AP, Benghazi Govt Scandals have, till now, been considered tin foil conspiracy nut job propaganda. I think this has opened the gate for many other " oh that can't be true, the govt wouldn't lie" events to be relived. The real tin foil hatters probably feel emboldened and will continue to throw shit against the wall to see what sticks. Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom