Two New Shooters To Our Ranks

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by LittleGun, Oct 27, 2008.

1. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Two of my associates at work came to know that I’m an active shooter. They began asking questions, which led to an invitation to the gun range. They I spent individual time with each of them, teaching them the basics. They were apt students and learned quickly. When they hit the 10-ring the first time, there was no holding them back. After getting over the initial fear of controlling an explosive reaction in your hand, they were hooked.
    After our range session, we went for snacks and to chat about the experience. They were talking about buying their own guns. I encouraged them to wait, do more shooting, and take gun classes before making that call. Before our range visit, they had never held a gun in their hands. Now we have two enthusiastic shooters added to the ranks, soon to become gun owners.

2. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    you're a good man leeroy!

3. Texas Patriot

Texas Patriot Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    What type of weapons were they firing? Pistol or rifle? What model, caliber, all other essential facts.

Were the new shooters male or female, young or old, single or married?

Come on man, don't tease us by leaving out so many crucial facts.

BTW, good job on winning over 2 more converts.

4. xaiver56

xaiver56 Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    That's Awesome LittleGun!

5. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Way to go!

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    :happy0001:

Excellent! But don't break the bad news to them yet...the part about spendin' money like crazy!

7. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Both students are men. One of them recently immigrated to the States and he is going through the rigors of getting citizenship. He is a young Chinese man, late twenties. The other is a man from India, also working on citizenship. The Indian man is in his thirties and speaks very good English. He chose a Sig P229 as his training gun. The Chinese man was thinking about getting a Sig, but his English isn't perfect. I had safety concerns, so I convinced him to start out with a Glock 19. Both weapons were 9mm.

After they learned how to shoot - an shoot safely, they wanted to swap guns. The Indian guy who started out with the Sig, didn't last long with the Glock. He said it was like a toy. He went back to the Sig. The Chinese guy, who started out on the Glock said that he liked the Sig better. I guess they will be Sig shooters. They were'n't deterred after seeing the price tags for Sigs.

Their most immediate concern seemed to be how they could buy a gun and get it past their wives. My suggestion was, invite you wives to shoot with you. I didn't say anything about gun addiction. That's best left to... individual discovery.

I rekindled the spirit of a third colleague. She is a middle-aged woman, originally from Poland. She is an American citizen and speaks perfect English. Her father was in the military and used to take her shooting when she was a child. One one occasion her father took her for a ride in a Russian tank. She couldn't recall the model number, but it might have been a T2.

She heard that I was going to the range and asked to go along. We went through the basics and she began to recall her childhood learning. She selected a .22 and said that it was a lady's gun. She did well with it and was pleased that she could recall what her father taught her.

8. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    New shooters... excellent. As a previous range safety officer (SDReserves) new shooters came with a mixed bag of emotions. But it always worked out in the end. The unsafe/'power brokers' were weeded out pretty quickly.

9. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Excellent! Way to promote things positively. :)

10. Fisherman

Fisherman Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Good Deal, make sure they know to support 2A wherever they can, so we can all enjoy our rights.