• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So at the ripe old age of 28 I'm finally looking into learning how to hunt. I know first off I need the Hunter's Education card thingy but one odd thing comes up on the website explaining the process. It says:

[h=3]Who needs to take Hunter Education?[/h]Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Minimum age of certification is 9 years and cost is $15.
    If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

• under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
    • age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied.
    • age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral,” and you must be accompanied.

[h=3]What does "accompanied" mean?[/h]Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Note: Certification is not required to purchase a hunting license.

So if I get this correctly even at the age of 28 I need to find someone who already has their hunters education to drag down to the 2 day academy class? Or am I missing something here?
    Venture Surplus ad

jjslice

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    No experience in this but what I'm getting at is you're missing the "or".

Either you're 17 or over and you complete the course yourself "or" if you don't complete the course and purchase the Deferral. But then you must hunt with someone that has completed the course.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Figures I took the "and" to mean it pertained to both situations not just the latter. Damn legalese.

So has anyone here taken the course at anything but a young age? I'm just imagining I will spend a weekend with a bunch of kids (granted probably better behaved kids than most if they are being entrusted with a firearm).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

2slow

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    beaumont
    the defferal- means you can hunt as long as you are with someone at all times that has the hunter safety course, the defferal only last 1 year and the next year you will have to take the hunter safety course. I done the defferal last year i will be taking the hunter safety course this year

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    So at the ripe old age of 28 I'm finally looking into learning how to hunt. I know first off I need the Hunter's Education card thingy but one odd thing comes up on the website explaining the process. It says:

So if I get this correctly even at the age of 28 I need to find someone who already has their hunters education to drag down to the 2 day academy class? Or am I missing something here?

I'm in the same boat as you. Have been thinking about getting into hunting.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I have a major gripe with this topic. After the first year of deferral, why is a person still allowed to renew their hunting license if they haven't completed Hunter Ed?

2slow

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    beaumont
    I have a major gripe with this topic. After the first year of deferral, why is a person still allowed to renew their hunting license if they haven't completed Hunter Ed?

they will sell the license without it.... if you are checked by a game warden and do not have the hunter safety course card, you will be fined from my understanding

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    they will sell the license without it.... if you are checked by a game warden and do not have the hunter safety course card, you will be fined from my understanding

That's exactly what I am saying.

Edit: to clarify, what frustrates me is that it is basically now up to the game warden to go around and check to see if everyone has hunters education. It also means that there are plenty of turkeys out hunting who have absolutely no clue what they're doing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have mixed feelings on the hunters education program.

On one hand, I see it as a good way for new hunters to learn about the animals and safe and responsible hunting.

On the other hand, I don't think it will make a difference to someone who was raised with no respect for the animals they hunt. Like gun owners, the idiots will continue to be idiots and those raised and taught responsibility and respect will carry that with them, with or without the course.

I need to see if it says on my license if I've taken the course. I lost my first card, ordered a new one, then lost that one too. My fault for losing it I guess and it would suck to get a ticket. Don't think I've ever actually been stopped by a game warden while hunting though, only on a few fishing trips.

Overall I don't guess I have a problem with it due to the large number of kids I've seen who want to hunt but who's parents know nothing about it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Isn't there a way to hunt with out it as long as you are with someone who has it?

In that case denying the license would be denying someone from legally hunting who may have no intention of breaking any rules.

If it were tied in so that the license would show if the course had been taken I would fully support that. It would prevent what is equivalent to carrying two licenses to hunt.

Either way, unless you are stopped by a game warden they will never know if you have had the course or even have a huntin license. Game wardens have a big job to do and lots of ground to cover. I have a lot of respect for them and personally haven't run in to any that don't have an honest respect for the job and hunters and fishermen.

Annoying at times, yes. ESP when they pull me out of the river when the fish are biting good. But still respectful and polite and I show them the same.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I took it recently, a few years ago. It's easy, actually there were a bunch of older guys there.

You have purchase a deferment, for 1 year. But you have to hunt with a legal individual.

You can buy a license without the hunters safety class.

Once you pass the class, it will pop up the next time you buy a license. (says HE#)

While you're at it, don't forget to get HIP certified. They can ding you for that too. If you get a hunting license, and they don't ask you how many birds you killed last year, then you're not hip certified.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So wait is doing the one year deferment required or recommended or something? Or does everyone just tend to fail the test?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Isn't there a way to hunt with out it as long as you are with someone who has it?

In that case denying the license would be denying someone from legally hunting who may have no intention of breaking any rules.

If it were tied in so that the license would show if the course had been taken I would fully support that. It would prevent what is equivalent to carrying two licenses to hunt. .

You're right. There is a way to legally hunt w/o it: being accompanied. I stand corrected.

What I guess I'm wishing for is an alert when a non-HE person buys a license reminding them that they must hunt accompanied.

As stated above, the license does indeed show whether or not the class has been passed. Here is an example.

ase3yzyt.jpg

So wait is doing the one year deferment required or recommended or something? Or does everyone just tend to fail the test?

None of the above. The one-year deferment is optional, and is used for people who want to hunt this season but don't have time to take the class before they go.

Top Bottom