• ...and so much more!
  • zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    The people have spoken.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/07/uber-and-lyft-shutdown-in-austin-after-voters-defeat-proposition-1/

"The defeat is a serious setback for Uber and Lyft, who spent a combined $8 million dollars on advertisement encouraging voters to support the proposition. Comparatively, a political action committee that is anti-Prop 1 spent under $100,000 on advertisements opposing the proposition."

This means Houston will now stick to its guns as well.
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Although not totally coincident with Districts 6 and 8, those two districts are a large part of the "for" votes. The statists that elected the progressive members of the council (the mayor and the other 8 districts), for the most part, continued to support the "rulers".

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Some other stats on this one:

Registered voters: 509,242
    Ballots cast: 89,197 17.52%
    Cast without a yes or no selection: 956
    Yes: 39,083
    No: 49,158

Lots of "I don't care" people!

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I'm afraid(I mentioned it at lunch on Friday) that this ballot process and fallout will mirror much of what goes on leading up to and at the polls in November. A whole bunch of whiny crybabies all round...with not a good result in sight.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought just the opposite, that the hipsters would want to keep their Uber. Looks like I was wrong from that map.

Oh, I'm sure they want to keep it. They just want it to stay and simply absorb all the costs without any of the drivers raising prices or any reduction in service.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Not surprised at all. A city that claims to want to be innovative manages to scare off folks doing business in an innovative manner.

Now we need a law that mandates free taxis between 2200 Friday to 1800 Sunday so we can save the children from drunk drivers. $1000000 fine for the cab companies if they don't have a cab on site in 5 min or less.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Should be interested to see what the city council does now... given the message they've just sent to the tech community.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Interesting color-coded map which shows precinct by precinct voting on Prop 1. Seems to show most of the core of Austin voting against it, with most of the far out suburbs voted for it. I thought it would be the other way around.

http://projects.statesman.com/databases/election-map-20160507/

Why is that surprising? Leftist elitist kooks live in the city. The vote centralizing power with government is consistent with their political views.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think the real question is why would they even comply? Uber and Lyft is just the connection platform. Craigslist doesn't have to get a business license in every city where someone posts something for sale.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    It is simple - Uber and Lyft managed to piss off more voters than it had willing to vote for their Prop 1.

Prop 1 undone by campaign’s underlying motive, threatening tone

TRANSPORTATION By Ben Wear - American-Statesman Staff
    Posted: 4:38 p.m. Sunday, May 8, 2016

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/new...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

Highlights

"Uber and Lyft spent $8.6 million on multiple arguments, but voters sensed the vote was about the bottom line."

"The companies’ history of aggression, particularly Uber’s, played into voter’s rejection of Prop 1 as well."

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Exactly. I don't have a dog in this hunt other than I don't want some California company threatening Texas cities You need us. We certainly don't need you. In the words of the immortal bard: "stick it, where the sun, don't shine!"

The one thing I definitely did not like was the proposal giving them permission to stop in lanes of active traffic to drop-off/pick up. Thats just horse shit.

Top Bottom