• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Not at all surprised that the vote was lost by the inner city folks though. They are the ones who have the least to gain from ride shares being in the core of the city. It's too bad those of us most affected that live in the suburbs were unable to even voice an opinion on this if we were out of city limits. We have a MUCH harder time getting taxis in the suburbs than anyone in the core of the city does and most of us have NO access to public transport (unless you live in N Leander).

RS is still operating in the suburbs.
    Lynx Defense

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Also if this had happened a week earlier I would have gotten screwed over and my personal truck possibly broken in to. I had my work truck down at Covert Ford for repairs that got finished last Friday morning. Unfortunately I could not get a hold of any of my coworkers to get a ride to pick it up so I took my personal truck up there and parked it just outside of their gate. Once again in the afternoon I could not find a ride back to my personal truck to pick it up so I hailed a Lyft ride. It was fast (the driver was literally a couple hundred yards away when I hailed him) and cheaper than a taxi would have been. If I had not made it back to my truck before dark it could have possibly gotten broken into, sitting right at Jollyville and Duval, not far from a somewhat unsavory part of town. Not all of us that live in the suburbs do business solely in the suburbs bro.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Not to and from Austin though. My options just got much more limited for getting the airport or maybe going downtown occasionally for some drinks with friends.

Not true. Riders can still be dropped off in Austin, just not picked up.

The city has no authority to regulate pick-ups that happen outside the city.

Comparison between Uber and GetMe: http://keyetv.com/news/local/we-test-it-out-uber-vs-getme

GetMe: $24 (Shoal Creek/Anderson Ln to Pflugerville City Hall)
    Uber: $14 (exact same trip in return)

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Not true. Riders can still be dropped off in Austin, just not picked up.

The city has no authority to regulate pick-ups that happen outside the city.

Okay then, my options got much more limited going from the airport back home. How in the hell do they plan on enforcing that shit anyway? Are they going to pull uber drivers over and demand they show where the pickup occurred? Not even sure the app shows that shit.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Okay then, my options got much more limited going from the airport back home. How in the hell do they plan on enforcing that shit anyway? Are they going to pull uber drivers over and demand they show where the pickup occurred? Not even sure the app shows that shit.

Like anything else, they'll do stings where they call for drivers then cite them.

Uber's turned off the ability to get an Uber in Austin, anyway, so there aren't any trips originating here, officially.

The trick for the airport: move your "location dot" off the airport/outside the city limits and request a ride there, then text/call the driver and let them know you're at the airport. This trick works in most cities that prohibit Uber at/near their airport. Just sayin'... at that point, though, the Uber driver hides his gear in his center console and asks you to greet him by name as if you're a friend or co-worker. :)

It's also possible to get a driver's information and simply hire them "directly" - they love that, as they get the full fare vs. Uber taking their cut. I may or may not have driver information for Miami and Fort Lauderdale. :)

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    IMO Uber/Lyft and the city will make nice nice once the right council members get the right donations. There is too much money to be lost by the city and too much negative blow back when DUI accidents pick up. If you liked to take Uber into Austin for the 6th street festivities take them to a Round Rock bar for a few months. When tax revenues drop from lost sales the city will miraculously be able to figure out a way to make the whole background check method work.

How sad that something as stupid simple as background checks can't be negotiated by a city council without resorting to asinine ballot language and hyjinx. Must have take negotiation lessons from the Kerry school of politics.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Can't get much luggage in that 4C ;) You gonna charge a premium for the thrill?
    That's one of the things I thought Uber was lacking. They had their black car service, but they didn't have a sports car service. ...or a classic car service. How cool would that be to end the night by being picked up in a nice classic car. ...or a truck service. Sometimes you got more shit than can fit in a sedan.

I can fill those voids :)

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    That's one of the things I thought Uber was lacking. They had their black car service, but they didn't have a sports car service. ...or a classic car service. How cool would that be to end the night by being picked up in a nice classic car. ...or a truck service. Sometimes you got more shit than can fit in a sedan.

I can fill those voids :)

There actually are truckshare services out there. And I believe Uber was looking at the classic car service at one point, perhaps it's just not profitable enough.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It doesn't surprise me that the million dollar houses in Hyde Park, Aldridge Place, etc... all voted for statist bullshit.

And Steiner Ranch.....who the **** uses Uber out there, those fuckers are all so rich they can afford chauffeurs ><

Edit: Wow, only two people even voted in Steiner...that's funny because they have 5 polling booths at the Randalls there....

Top Bottom