Guns International

Underground shelter using 20' shipping container.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have seen a couple of the bunker shows which did this same thing. One had two containers connected by a doorway. From the arial view, it appeared to have a short hallway of about 2-3 feet. Interesting concept.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Those shipping containers are not designed to have weight pressing in on the sides. The only areas designed to have any weight on them are the corners.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Even if it DID last underground, which it won't, where are you supposed to put bodily waste? Where are you going to get electricity from so you can see your way around? Where's your potable water going to come from? You could store gallon jugs, but the plastic will break down over time and get into the water. What about ventilation/air purification? Is there only going to be one controlled entry point? That may work to help hide it, but someone could also compromise the outside, turning it into a big ol coffin. I think underground shelters are cool, and I would love to have one of my own, but there's a TON of logistics that go into them. More than just putting a box in the ground.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    In this case he was just using it for storage, didn't have dirt up against its walls, and didn't seem to address if he did anything to prevent it from rusting. Using it for his purpose (wine cellar) it will work beautifully - constant temperature, out of the way, etc. - and it provides a place to go if a tornado happens through the area. I didn't get the feeling he was building it to survive a prolonged nuclear zombie attack.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In this case he was just using it for storage, didn't have dirt up against its walls, and didn't seem to address if he did anything to prevent it from rusting. Using it for his purpose (wine cellar) it will work beautifully - constant temperature, out of the way, etc. - and it provides a place to go if a tornado happens through the area. I didn't get the feeling he was building it to survive a prolonged nuclear zombie attack.

Assuming the dirt never shifts...

Sent from my HAL 9000

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The two that I saw used were reinforced to support the weight of the dirt. They also had a "hidden" vent on one end, and one of them had a somewhat hidden generator that was linked to the bunker. For the toilet they had a septic type system that ran a good distance from the bunker.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I saw a guy with a bunker and hidden generator on the "preppers" show on Netflix.

His generator got stolen so they built a cage for it, then it got stolen again.

I don't think a generator will be safe when the world ends. Especially when it's actually running and drawing attention.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I go the underground bunker route I think I will go with ~24" reinforced concrete construction with a tunnel network sprawling beneath a few hundred acres with multiple entrances and ventilation sources.

One I get that in, I'll work on expanding it to better suit my needs.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Damn, didn't think of that. Corrugated pipe that's galvanized. They coated it too. It'd outlast an container that's not galvanized.

Hmm. Yes, interesting.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Those shipping containers are not designed to have weight pressing in on the sides. The only areas designed to have any weight on them are the corners.

Sent from my HAL 9000

this is true
    I have helped two people build framework support inside of them and both of them have been buried for 2 years now with no problems.
    we used 2 3/8 pipe and build side and ceiling braces

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I saw a guy with a bunker and hidden generator on the "preppers" show on Netflix.

His generator got stolen so they built a cage for it, then it got stolen again.

I don't think a generator will be safe when the world ends. Especially when it's actually running and drawing attention.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    gennys are only good until the gas runs out.
    Solar is the better long term route

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I like the corrugated pipe route. You can easily lay several rooms and link them with hallways. You can also run several entrances, different lengths away. This gives you lots of flexibility for your logistics. I like the concrete blocks as well, but I think they'd be more expensive to lay.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

WarHawk_AVG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    I have seen guys use old bus bodies, concreted in, they are more rigid and can handle the until the concrete sets up hard

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom