Underground shelter using 20' shipping container.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Assuming the dirt never shifts...

Sent from my HAL 9000

There are any number of ways to both add strength to a container or just bury it correctly to solve every problem you can think up. It's not really hard. The question is more about the cost of such things than the ability to make it work.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    If I go the underground bunker route I think I will go with ~24" reinforced concrete construction with a tunnel network sprawling beneath a few hundred acres with multiple entrances and ventilation sources.

Who gave you access to my Evernote?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I like the corrugated pipe route. You can easily lay several rooms and link them with hallways. You can also run several entrances, different lengths away. This gives you lots of flexibility for your logistics. I like the concrete blocks as well, but I think they'd be more expensive to lay.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    With the large pipe bunker you do get impressive structural strength
    I just think a lot of the space is unusable
    A cube or box is more usable space

I know a guy who buried a 10,000 gallon diesel tank after cleaning it and airing it out for 6 months
    He didn't anchor it and it came out of the ground on him when the soil got wet
    It rose right up like a big submarine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

Yes it is. Thank You.

The sides would have to be braced. If the sides of the container are buried. In the first video. The guy lays the container inside a concrete cover hole. He doesn't bury it. More like lowered into a hole. There's space 360 around it.

He also looks like he has 12' of bed rock and clay in his hole. Black dirt around here can be deep. Mud would slide in the hole, on the first rain, if done the same way. If you didn't want it buried....Too late. It'll be in there tight too.

It'd have to be bracing for the sides of the container. Sucker rod welded in an X on the outside walls? Vertical bracing with that??

Hmmmm

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There are any number of ways to both add strength to a container or just bury it correctly to solve every problem you can think up. It's not really hard. The question is more about the cost of such things than the ability to make it work.

Yep, at some point the cost makes it more expensive than dedicated structure.

Sent from my HAL 9000

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Yep, at some point the cost makes it more expensive than dedicated structure.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Doesn't have to cost a lot all the time though. People say that only the corners are made to carry weight. They are wrong. The floors are designed to hold quite a bit of weight. Bury a container upside down or cut the floor out of a damaged container and put it on top of a container you are buring. You can weld pipe into the corrugated sides to reinforce a container but if you are just worried about side pressure then Gabion wall or baskets cab be us ed and they can be very cost effective. If you have a wealth of containers just put a sacrificial container on top and the sides.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Damn, didn't think of that. Corrugated pipe that's galvanized. They coated it too. It'd outlast an container that's not galvanized.

Hmm. Yes, interesting.

Trust me, as someone who has had to dig up plenty of those to replace driveways over ditches, those things are not rust proof. That's why they use concrete or corrugated plastic culvert pipe in most drainage projects now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Trust me, as someone who has had to dig up plenty of those to replace driveways over ditches, those things are not rust proof. That's why they use concrete or corrugated plastic culvert pipe in most drainage projects now.

It'd have to be coated. The galvanizing holds an edge over the painted exterior of a container. If it wasn't galvanised it'd last half as long.

Hell, don't they make polypropylene pipe in the huge sizes? That....surrounded by concrete would have the best corrosion protection.

Then you gotta figure how your gonna need it. How long you live up to the point of needing it. What are we talking? 30 years give or take?

Design that longevity into the project.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    it happened over a 24 hour period and ther wasn't much he could do but dig it all back out
    good thing he rented the backhoe for the month.

Top Bottom