APOD Firearms

Undesirable juror. How do I make myself into such?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I've been thinking about volunteering for jury duty in Bowie County. I am not sure if it is even possible to do so but if it is possible, then I figure why not. I seem to recall that you cannot volunteer for federal jury duty but have no clue about doing so at a county court. I am retired and life in and around Texarkana, TX is abysmally boring. So, I went to the county website a few days ago to check on how to do it, I did not find diddly squat about it. Maybe it is not something they do.

If I still feel the urge after Jan. 1, I may go to the county court building to inquire about if it is possible and if so then how to do it. Who knows, I may meet some interesting folks and if we get sequestered, maybe we can watch
    12 Angry Men at the hotel.:rolleyes:
    You can apply for the Grand Jury, I think it's a 3 month commitment, once a week I could be wrong but I had the paperwork ready to submit but decided I didn't want to travel downtown Houston.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think it was a joke but when the judge asked a prospective juror if they had a problem with the death penalty, the juror reply ‘no but if we convict him can we watch the execution?’
    In real life I expect that’s a disqualifying statement.
    Personally, I think executions should be made public again.

IMO, I think as we moved into the 20th century, and became more "civilized" they started hiding executions as if they were some sort of dirty secret that they didn't want people talking about.

I think that was exactly the wrong approach. In many ways, executions have become almost sterile and clinical in the way they are carried out.

Are executions a deterrent to criminal behavior? For the most part, no I don't think so. But if they were made public again, it could send a clear message to many of the younger generations of what we as society are not going to tolerate, and the consequences of those actions if deemed needed.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Personally, I think executions should be made public again.

IMO, I think as we moved into the 20th century, and became more "civilized" they started hiding executions as if they were some sort of dirty secret that they didn't want people talking about.

I think that was exactly the wrong approach. In many ways, executions have become almost sterile and clinical in the way they are carried out.

Are executions a deterrent to criminal behavior? For the most part, no I don't think so. But if they were made public again, it could send a clear message to many of the younger generations of what we as society are not going to tolerate, and the consequences of those actions if deemed needed.
    Been there and done that one Axxe while living in the Middle East.
    their real deterence is a time from crime to sentencing is usually a few weeks and the focus is did you do it and why.
    There was typically at least 1 execution a week in the mid-90s.
    I saw 1, yea they do push Westerners to the front to see. Didn’t sleep for a few days but their system is pretty swift (and a bit corrupt).
    Yea n the other hand beheading appeared to be quick and likely low pain to the guest of honor. And a very graphic deterrence.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The last time I was called for jury duty was for Federal court. For a month I was required to call every Monday-Friday during a given time range to check if I had to report the following morning. As my employment usually had me 4-8 hours away from the court it was difficult to schedule my customers not knowing if I had to appear in court the next morning.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The last time I was called for jury duty was for Federal court. For a month I was required to call every Monday-Friday during a given time range to check if I had to report the following morning. As my employment usually had me 4-8 hours away from the court it was difficult to schedule my customers not knowing if I had to appear in court the next morning.
    I wish it was only a month for me. Jan. 3rd to April 1st of 2022. Oh well.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    I had some fun with jury duty,
    There was a couple guys on trial for resisting arrest. But the prostitution didn't have to disclose the reason for arrest. They start questioning if we had been unjustly arrested and other related questions. They got to me and I told them false arrest is kidnapping under the color of law. Out of the corner of my eye I could see all my fellow prospective jurors lean forward to see who would make such a radical statement.
    And I was on my way ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    IMO an even more important one. The grand jury can save the court a lot of time from bullshit indictments that won't go anywhere, and most importantly the accused from the punishment of prosecution.
    Yes, if...

If they must know the extent of their duties and powers. There's a reason that the saying "A DA can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich" exists. In practice, most grand juries rubber-stamp anything put in front of them.

We had a discussion elsewhere about the concept of a "runaway jury". Well, a grand jury that understands it has both the power and authority to request additional information from the DA or even initiate its own investigations is what prosecutors definitely, always refer to, derisively, as a "runaway jury." They do their very best to make sure the folks who get selected for grand jury duty are a bunch of unquestioning types who never fail to back the blue and can't imagine that their government might lie to them.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I’ve been called every year for several years. I always make sure to wear a nice blazer with a Punisher t shirt underneath. Never been picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Again, jury duty is slave labor. $6 per day. I ran a business with 7-8 employees, no income if I wasn't there. How long could I keep my business if I was on a long trial? So who can do this? Retired people, government employees, people that automatically get paid whether they work or not. Civic duty does not mean becoming slave labor. And even $6 a day, you don't get paid unless you are actually called up. You still have to become part of the pool until they dismiss you at no pay which means you close down your shop, no income to feed your family, etc. The jury system makes you an indentured servant. And when you do serve you find out what a bunch of idiots you are with. Do you seriously believe that you are in a system where you are tried by your equals? For most I bet it is "lets get this over as fast as possible" and then there are the Karen's....
    Payment of taxes, military duty and jury duty are civic duty required of ALL citizens.
    A few days on jury duty or a few years of military duty may be required of us.
    Slave labor - The pay of a draftee during the 60's was a few cents per hour, along with a loss of personal freedoms. We considered it a duty not slave labor. NO citizen should consider himself too important to serve a few hours in the service of his Country. If you had a matter before the court, how would you like your jury to be selected? Paid employees of the court or citizens selected from your community?

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Payment of taxes, military duty and jury duty are civic duty required of ALL citizens.
    A few days on jury duty or a few years of military duty may be required of us.
    Slave labor - The pay of a draftee during the 60's was a few cents per hour, along with a loss of personal freedoms. We considered it a duty not slave labor. NO citizen should consider himself too important to serve a few hours in the service of our Country.
    Thank you but I have done my civil duty. Eight years in uniform during a not very well liked war. At the time I was serving many of my female friends were taking vacations around the world. Females still do not have to sign up for the draft so I guess they are not citizens even though they are the majority of the population. Only 3% ever serve their country. But, even when I was in the service I got paid, although not much. When you are on jury duty, just look around because everyone else in the court system is getting paid, some very nicely too. I agree that citizens should serve but they should not go broke while doing it. You also never know how long you will be there, it could be weeks or even months. My point was that jurors should be paid some semblance of a reasonable amount, maybe as much as the court clerk or other persons working there. None of those people would work there if paid what a juror makes. And yes I have been on a jury and have had jury notices several times.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    If I knew it was something interesting like medical malpractice or a wrongfully accused I'd be all about civic participation.

Another friend got on a corporation vs corporation oil & gas dispute jury.
    What a nightmare.

I'm not retired.
    A week in court is terribly disruptive.

I'm torn.

I did this in Federal Court. 3.5 weeks commuting to Sherman from DFW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you but I have done my civil duty. Eight years in uniform during a not very well liked war. At the time I was serving many of my female friends were taking vacations around the world. Females still do not have to sign up for the draft so I guess they are not citizens even though they are the majority of the population. Only 3% ever serve their country. But, even when I was in the service I got paid, although not much. When you are on jury duty, just look around because everyone else in the court system is getting paid, some very nicely too. I agree that citizens should serve but they should not go broke while doing it. You also never know how long you will be there, it could be weeks or even months. My point was that jurors should be paid some semblance of a reasonable amount, maybe as much as the court clerk or other persons working there. None of those people would work there if paid what a juror makes. And yes I have been on a jury and have had jury notices several times.
    The government has no right to force me to labor for them.

We should choose to but we should not be forced.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've been called for jury duty several times. The last was Federal Court which required me to call every evening for a month for notification if it was necessary to report the next morning. Made it difficult to plan when you travel on a job 6-8 hours away from the court.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've been called for jury duty several times. The last was Federal Court which required me to call every evening for a month for notification if it was necessary to report the next morning. Made it difficult to plan when you travel on a job 6-8 hours away from the court.
    I'm still on stand by for federal jury duty, a 3 month sentence. I was at first told to report January 3rd, but then that got canceled, they then texted me to call March 6th to see if I need to report the next day. I only made one call so far.

Top Bottom