• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    since my CHL should be here any day now (yay!) ....

i am looking for an EDC with the most power i can feasibly handle...i have done a lot of research, especially female shooter sites, but everyone seems to recommend a .380 or 9mm....is there a larger caliber anyone could recommend? maybe something their wife or girlfriend carries?

i know everyone is going to tell me to go to a range and try some out, but i have looked at our local range rentals and there are not a lot of options to try larger than 9s...a couple springfields, a couple glocks, and a sig or two but not a huge selection.

recoil is a factor but not a huge one....this is not the gun i will be taking to the range and putting 250-500 rounds through in a single visit....i would shoot enough to get familiar with it and then probably run 25-50 rounds through monthly just to keep skills up....i do not want it jumping out of my hands though when i shoot.

same thing goes for weight....i do not want to haul around a brick all day but i am okay with a heavier gun....honestly, i do not want it to be so comfortable i "forget" it is there...i want to remain conscious at all times that i am carrying something that is a HUGE responsibility.

want:
    1. concealable size...does not have to be micro but do not want a huge gun
    2. highly reliable up to 7yds...i would mostly be practicing from 3-7 yards, not much farther....i figure if someone is further than 21 ft, i have time to yell or pepper spray or run to get away?
    3. multiple IWB holster options (as in nothing too "unique" where i will have to have something custom made)

what i REALLY want is a .45acp....why? i just do - i figured if anyone could understand it would be this group :D .... my friends think i am crazy lol

if anyone has recommendations or input/corrections into my thoughts, i am all ears. i guess i have average strength in my arms for a female (not a body builder but also no arthritis or other ailments), 5'3" and 120-125 lbs.

thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    My daughter carries a 380. She's 5'1" and about 110 Lbs. She likes it and has no issues carrying it.

But, you need to find a gun that your comfortable with.

Good luck.

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    do not really have one in mind...do not want to pay wilson combat prices but pretty open to anything up to $1500 for an awesome EDC....i always think of things as cost per wear...if i wear a $1500 gun 365 days a year, at $2 per day (cost of gas station coffee), in like 2 years i have paid it off :)

i also justify shoes and handbags by cost per wear :D

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    Go rent a.45ACP and see if you like it. I would recommend a commander sized 1911, an M&P Shield in .45ACP, and anything else the range has on the rental line.

the ranges around here only have a couple to try and i figured the experience would vary quite a bit on the makes (springfield, glock, sig, forgot some m&p's) so was just looking for some recommendations based on user experience. i have not come across a 1911 .45ACP to rent yet but will keep on looking. thank you!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

Dan-Wesson.png

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't wait to see this thread on post #147

Carry what feels good in your hand. Shot placement and training is better than fighting recoil of the bigger caliber.

I carry a S&W Shield for EDC. I fits in my boot and is deep concealment.

If deep concealment wasn't needed... I'd prob carry bigger, like 19x, p320 or carry 1911

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The answer to your question is extremely subjective. It’s nearly impossible for someone to give you a right answer outside the chances of a lucky guess.

Not all guns fit all people. Just look at 1911 vs Glock arguments. Grip size vs hand size will also play a factor in accuracy and recoil management.

You need to shoot the guns and see what fits. I won’t necessarily recommend renting though. Most any member here with a few years on the forum would likely be happy to help and provide a few options to try and has probably been to many of our meets. Not that a stranger on a forum vouching for strangers on a forum means a whole lot and the idea of possibly bringing someone with you for such a meeting is completely reasonable. Meeting someone at a local range is probably the cheapest way to get an idea of where you should invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    You need to shoot the guns and see what fits. I won’t necessarily recommend renting though. Most any member here with a few years on the forum would likely be happy to help and provide a few options to try and has probably been to many of our meets. Not that a stranger on a forum vouching for strangers on a forum means a whole lot and the idea of possibly bringing someone with you for such a meeting is completely reasonable. Meeting someone at a local range is probably the cheapest way to get an idea of where you should invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you for that! i was actually going to offer if someone would be willing to meet me at a local range and had a few they would be willing to let me touch and/or try, i would be happy to take them for a beer/cocktails/wine after but i was not sure if i was allowed to say that.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thank you for that! i was actually going to offer if someone would be willing to meet me at a local range and had a few they would be willing to let me touch and/or try, i would be happy to take them for a beer/cocktails/wine after but i was not sure if i was allowed to say that.
    :popcorn:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    thanks @Moonpie , i was actually looking at the ECO but this has a longer barrel and might be easier to handle. i know there is a local range that has the .45acp ECO in stock that i was going to look into, i will check to see if they have this too.

Wise for a padawhan you are.
    Rid your mind of the shrieks emanating from the polymer promoting philistines.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    @txgirliegirl the Springfiled Range Officer Champion is another commander sized 1911 available in 9mm or 45 ACP.

This is what I carry every day, and there have been a few ladies from work that spent a significant amount of time at the range shooting mine and then got their own.

Or if you really want to pack a punch, you could carry a 10 mm for your EDC.

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    @txgirliegirl the Springfiled Range Officer Champion is another commander sized 1911 available in 9mm or 45 ACP.

This is what I carry every day, and there have been a few ladies from work that spent a significant amount of time at the range shooting mine and then got their own...

thanks so much! this was on my list to check out and this is exactly the experiences i was hoping to hear. :D

Top Bottom